• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lake Charles American Press

Yrdawg

imported post

Front page of the Press today ( Mon 10.27.08 ) has an article on a saturday ladies self defense course.

Sheriff spokesman is telling teachers that it is illegal to have a gun in your vehicle on school grounds.

We know this to be BS because they are using te fact that a school is a gunfree zone. So to follow this line all vehicles within 1000 feet of the school would be carrying illegal while the weapon would be " completely contained within a motor vehicle " As IS ALLOWED under state criminal code.

Called a " Constitutionaly protected activity "

G'wan PO PO......tell the truth, people will respect u more

charlie12

imported post

I just went and read the story. :cuss:

I emailed the reporter. and told her she needs to read the laws for herself before she writes a story.

I also sent her Louisiana Carry's website.

charlie12

imported post

I just left a voice mail for ADA Bill Druitt the guy that said you can't carry in you car on school property. I wonder if he'll call back.

If you want to ask him his number is 337-437-3400

Yrdawg

imported post

Good........I sent this to some one else that I believe also notified the same ada

I appreciate every one who jumps on this, such a load f crap and confusion is normal for the SO

The last two sheriffs developed a habit of bs'n the people, thats what got them a sanwich and a road map, this one started out ok but has seriously digressed and developed a bullying attitude, especially during the last two hurricane evac's

charlie12

imported post

Yrdawg wrote:
Good........I sent this to some one else that I believe also notified the same ada

I appreciate every one who jumps on this, such a load f crap and confusion is normal for the SO

The last two sheriffs developed a habit of bs'n the people, thats what got them a sanwich and a road map, this one started out ok but has seriously digressed and developed a bullying attitude, especially during the last two hurricane evac's
Check you PM's

sraacke

imported post

From the article....
"When you have a weapon in your car or house, it needs to be secured," Druitt said. "If someone takes it and uses it, you can be held liable."
Says who? If someone comes into my house and steals a steak knife and later stabs someone would I be held liable too?

sniff sniff

Smells like BS to me.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Iam appalled at the large amount of incorrect information in this story. It is interesting to note in the story's lead where it says that the ADA discussed some "misconceptions" about gun laws. I suppose that either he was misquoted later in the article or the reporter was slyly indicating that what follows was mostly BS.

Some of you Lake Charles folks please set this guy straight, and see if you can get the reporter to print a correction.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.americanpress.com/lc/blogs/wpphotos/?p=28

For an interesting listen, follow the link above. It will take you to some still photos from the event. The photos are accompanied by a few snippets of sound from the instructors. They did not make any blatantly false statements in the sound clip, and even stated something we state very often here: a criminal is not going to go around wearing a gun openly in a holster! I'm beginning to wonder if the problem in this article is inaccurate reporting.

charlie12

imported post

I emailed the reporter last night and this is what she sent back.

I'm pretty sure her inability to carry a gun in a school zone has something to do with Parish teachers employment contract. There are school districts in Texas and Oklahoma that allow teachers to carry guns on campus and into the building. That is not the case in Louisiana. I don't think I wrote that Louisiana Law said it was illegal to take a gun in a school zone.

Also, the person speaking is not a spokesman for the Sheriff's Office, he is an assistant district attorney who deals mainly with felony prosecutions. And I see how the way it's written can be misleading and I am sorry about that.

Vanessa Deggins
Staff Writer
The American Press
Lake Charles, LA
vdeggins@americanpress.com

KBCraig

imported post

"All guns are registered into a national database by their serial numbers." :banghead:

From the reply Charlie got: "I don't think I wrote that Louisiana Law said it was illegal to take a gun in a school zone."

Did she even read her own article?
"He also warned teachers that it is illegal have guns in their cars while on school property because school zones are gun-free zones."

In the slideshow: is that Deputy Sarah Palin at 1:09? :lol:

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

charlie12 wrote:
I emailed the reporter last night and this is what she sent back.

I'm pretty sure her inability to carry a gun in a school zone has something to do with Parish teachers employment contract.<SNIP>

Interesting. She answered my letter by insisting that the ADA had said it had something to do with a parish law; she added that since the sheriff's office had armed deputies at the schools, they didn't want any other armed people around. She said she had a Westlaw book of Louisiana laws, but I believe that is a summary book andmight not have the most recent laws in it.

I wrote back to her that State law pre-empts parish laws enacted after 1985, so perhaps a call to the ADA was in order. I added that in civil rights cases like this especially, what law enforcement officers prefer does not matter when it conflicts with the actual law.

She also insisted that the Federal government keeps a list of serial numbers on file. She said that a seller would register it with them. I told her that she was confusing this with the 4473's which are used for background checks and which, by law, must be destroyed after a certain amount of time; they're also not allowed to make a list from these.

She has not replied a second time as of yet. Poor kid is going to feel like we're picking on her.

KBCraig

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Poor kid is going to feel like we're picking on her.
Yeah, well, it's tough dealing with an audience who not only know the subject matter very well, but are very passionate about it.

Yrdawg

imported post

Dam

LOL......good responses, this is the typical kind of stuff CPSO puts out and somhow they expect you to just swallow and say thanks

I have another response directly from the ada,

Here it is

Regarding the felony possession of firearms you are correct that there is amotor vehicleexception to the rule. Most "thoughtful" lawyers consider this too broad as there is really no constitutional right to have possession in a school zone at present. But nonetheless it is there and I'd think most prosecutors would not indict someone on it but it is an issue. Of course as we talked about the constitutional right to have in a car is a Louisiana right and not a federal one as many states prohibit and the recently decided Heller case did not address.

[size=]

However, I quoted the misdemeanor provision that prohibited the illegal carrying of weapons on a "school campus" R.S. 14:95 where there is no exception for a vehicle. I'd think one could argue the constitutional right to have in a vehicle BUT I'd worry that this would not necessarily provide a ironclad defense. Yes the statutes seem to conflict a bit but there is nothing I can do about that -the legislature has to clarify- so to be safe I simply pointed this out.

[size=][/size]

I'd think the best advice I'd give a client who desired to carry a weapon in a car AND go on campus regularly, like a teacher, is to write the principal and point out the need for a weapon and advise they had in a car and promise to have it secure at all times. There is of course some risk to this as you'd have to argue if prosecuted that the constitution overrides the statute BUT that is the best I can think of. I know I would not prosecute on this issue but others might. In any event it is there and all I really wanted was to get across the point of no weapons on school property for all the obvious reasons. I actually told one teacher to call me after class and we'd discuss as did not want to tell the entire class legal to carry weapons on campus as thought that would be a vast overstatement. And as stated there is only so much you can do in a 15 minute class. The article is as accurate as my name.

[size=][/size]

[size=OK.......so there we have it][/size]

[size=[/size]

I have personal knowledge that if you are caught with a gun in your car at school as an employee you will be a gone goose. CPSB policy and in writing. A principal can authorize the possession at school by law but NOT by policy.]

[size=Whats the problem with the public knowing the truth ?? I missed that one][/size]

[size=The school Deputy program is a joke, a killer would have to go to the cop office in the school and ask to be shot. ( at close range I'm sure ) Most of the school cops are only one to a school and spend a lot of strut time around the office and do little else. Last year one had to get two maintenance guys to catch a 13 YO girl for him.LOL...thats just what we need in an active shooter situation][/size]

[size=[/size]

Any way, I'm thinkin it'll be a real non comment time for the next article, I think we've let these people know that some one is watching and we KNOW......]

[size=I'm impressed with this ada's decision to answer, and with his honesty in the I''m not sure dept.....he really can't predict what the DA and or the cops will conjure up in any situation][/size]

[/size]

sraacke

imported post

So basically the ADA and cops in that area are guilty of either....

1- delibertly misrepresenting the law and the rights of gun owning citizens

or

2-truly have no idea what they are supposed to be teaching and are just passing on stuff they learned from watching reruns of Law & Order.

:banghead:

Yrdawg

imported post

Little of both

The instructor I took my 1 st CHL from was a cop, and a JP, so a cop and a DA employee. We got a lot of good info but there were places where the blue line came in....LOL....like FFZ and the its misdemeanor cousin.

Ther final word there was well, its not always legal to be on school property with a gun. No forthcoming , move on

The sheriff deps started out good with a new sheriff a few years ago but after three hurricane mandatory evacs he's becoming another law knows best' let us decide guy "

Example.....making statements on TV like just do what we say , evacuate, and " I guarantee no one will steal your stuff "

I think there were some thing like 50 cases of looting last time, none of which made the news except a couple downplayed as burglaries.

I didn't leave and won't

Probably these cops and da's area lot like everywhere I'd say

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yrdawg wrote:
I have personal knowledge that if you are caught with a gun in your car at school as an employee you will be a gone goose. CPSB policy and in writing. A principal can authorize the possession at school by law but NOT by policy
The recently enacted SB 51, now part of state law as RS 32:292.1 should override this.

Yrdawg wrote:
The school Deputy program is a joke, a killer would have to go to the cop office in the school and ask to be shot. ( at close range I'm sure )

Well, maybe if you put up a sign........

Yrdawg

imported post

The deputy program is really a good idea, I guess I hit them too hard, they are good for what they are good for, but they would be practically useless in preventing an active shooter situation or in stoppping one in a timeley manner after it started . Schools are huge, some take 10 mi or more just to cross at a fast walk, no way one Dep can secure this area

The law stated is a plus, I had not included that in my comments, however realizing that in most parished the School Board is one of the richest branches, well, I can see exceptions n the futurefor them.