• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skyy CPX-1 9mm

Paul Volk

imported post

I was up late last night browsing through Gun Broker, and found a small framed Skyy 9mm. I'm not familiar with this pistol, and neither are any of my friends. I would be interested to here any opinions and/or reviews on the CPX-1.

I really like the size of the Kel-Tec PF9, but I'm not a fan of the Kel-Tec pistol itself. I handled one at my local gun shop, and I didn't appreciate the construction. Just felt chintzy to me. I'd like to find something that is comparable in size, but possibly made a bit better. This Skyy pistol looks better in the pictures, but online pictures obviously don't provide enough information to warrant a purchase.

I couldn't find a website for their product line, so here's a GunBroker.com ad for one for reference: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=114373075

Any opinions/advice will be appreciated. :)

hp-hobo

imported post

Well, you've found their web site, so the next thing you need is a link to the Skyy (Sccy) forum. You can learn more there than I can tell you in one post.

http://www.skyyforum.com/

We purchased one of these for my wife earlier this year as a tweener… Something sized between her LCP and Glock 27. The first issue we had to deal with is the infamous safety issue, where the safety moves to the on position due to recoil. Then we still had to learn to not bump it on while firing, easier for her than for me because of hand size. Once we got that more or less figured out it became an excellent shooter and very accurate to boot. However it is a handfu.

Due to its light weight and the power of a 9mm cartridge, it can be hard to hang on to. 50 rounds at the range is tiring and 100 rounds can be downright painful for my wife. Me, I like the abuse. Someone on GB was describing them as a "handful of hell". An apt description.

Last week at the 800 round mark I decided to tear it all the way apart to see if the safety issue could be solved once and for all. In the process of this, I discovered the receiver was cracked in five places. Not good. As we speak, Don (a helpful and incredibly knowledgeable guy) at Sccy industries has it in his possession to replace the receiver and install the latest and greatest safety mechanism along with a full inspection and repair/replacement of anything I may have missed. I expect to see it back home late this week, all free of charge.

I'd be lying by telling you I'm entirely happy with it. But being a very low serial number gun built by a newish manufacturer I didn't expect perfection. The flip side is that their customer service in my experience is second to only one. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase anotherCPX-1 and actually may be for my daughter in law in the near future. My suggestion to you would be to contact the seller of your choice and find out the serial number. It seems as though 10,000ish is the number you want to stay above.

Good luck.

Paul Volk

imported post

hp-hobo- Thanks for the info.

Springfield45- That LCP looks like a nice piece, but I'm 98% sure I want to stay with the 9mm cartridge. Thanks for the suggestion though.