Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheeple giving up guns

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

There is some arguement this doesn't work because people turn in cheap, stolen or broken guns and get $200 towards a new, working, possible stolengun. Discuss.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...Vw6RQD9425AN00

500 guns exchanged for cash in Harlem churches
    1 day ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Five Harlem churches collected hundreds of weapons — in exchange for cash.

Rifles, handguns and shotguns were handed over on Saturday — no questions asked. Each person who brought a firearm was handed a $200 bank card.

By late Saturday, more than 500 were collected.

It's part of a program sponsored by the NYPD and the Manhattan district attorney's office to remove weapons from city streets with recent spikes in violence. BB guns and air pistols are accepted in exchange for a $20 bank card.

So far, the buyback program started a half dozen years ago has succeeded in removing about 5,000 guns from New York streets. The city has $100,000 in funding left to finance the effort.

Two weeks ago, churches in Brooklyn collected more than 400 firearms.

Post imported post

What's to discuss? This topic has been talked to death, both hear on OCDO and elsewhere. The underlying premise only appeals to those with magical thinking (the gun as an evil talisman.)

ETA:

Trevor, I didn't intend the above to come across as, "why are you even bothering to mention this here", but rather that a discussion here might not yield anything interesting, since you'll hardly find anyone here to argue there's anything reasonable about these kind of "buybacks".

So maybe we could direct the discussion around such lines as, "What arguments have you found that actually get the point across to those who are unsure (or, worse yet, start out thinking so-called buybacks are actually a good idea)?"

Post imported post

What the problem is? $200 for any gun? Hell, go to the gunshow and by every 50-100 dollar firearm there is than go turn them in...

Post imported post

Yeah....but it FELT good

Post imported post

Here's a point you didn't get to in your post... this quote: "no questions asked."

So, tell me why a criminal that can potentially get $50-100 on the street for a stolen gun won't go steal MORE guns now that he can get $200 for his crime without any risk of prosecution?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Here's a point you didn't get to in your post... this quote: "no questions asked."

So, tell me why a criminal that can potentially get $50-100 on the street for a stolen gun won't go steal MORE guns now that he can get $200 for his crime without any risk of prosecution?
    Just because it says no questions asked doesn't mean they don't take your information and record the serial number with it

But anyways, I don't think it would cause people to steal more guns than they already do. It is not like just because this is going on they all of a sudden know exactly where they can get a load of guns easily.

Firearms have always been an item that is stolen during a normal robbery if it is found in the house... Not something that is actively sought out itself.

Post imported post

What does this have to do with Washington?

Post imported post

Dang, too bad I don't have any weapons worth less than 200$ LOL I never bought an el cheapo.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:

If you bought a NIB Hi Point then turned it inyou could make a little change.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
    Dang, too bad I don't have any weapons worth less than 200$ LOL I never bought an el cheapo.
    There are still a whole lot of WWII surplus you can buy for less I think the Russian Nagant (not the Mosin, but the revolver) can still easily be had for around $80

Post imported post

Man, I wish they'd do this in my area. I'd love to get $200 for a 20 year old .22 rifle that cost $100 brand new, and that I couldn't get $50 for now.

Post imported post

Usually it is not gangbangers and wannabe's that turn in guns when these things are carried out. It is older, often retired, folks living on Social Security and a small pension in their mortgage-paid-up homes, who shop at the local corner inconvenience stote that charges 15% more than the big box grocery 5 miles away but is easier to get to and from on arthritic knees and hips.

These folks are turning in either snubbies they bought between WWII and the Civil Rights Era disturbances or antiques that were handed down from generation to generation as reminders of how they kept the KKK at bay. Yes, folks in Harlem have/had guns and kept the peace in their own neighborhoods for many decades before the onerous NYC gun laws overtook them. A lot of the "older" folks decided to ignore the laws and keep their guns wrapped in a sock or a scarf, down at the bottom of some drawer - "just in case".

Now, with times getting harder and there not being as many "youngsters" that they might trust to pass these on to, they are turning them in for cash.Some of them do not want their family toget "caught" with an illegal firearm after they die, or don't want them being stolen when they have to go to the hospital.

Unfortunately, these are thevery folks that need to keep their handguns, and are the ones that were hurt the worst by the GCA of '68 that banned "Saturday Night Specials" - causing the price ofall handguns to go up to avoid being labled as such. (Sure, getting rid of the pot metal guns was a "Good ThingTM)

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    KansasMustang wrote:
    There are still a whole lot of WWII surplus you can buy for less I think the Russian Nagant (not the Mosin, but the revolver) can still easily be had for around $80
    Yeah, $80 most places . . . . . $120 profit,Heck NY ain't even 2 hours from here, make some serious cash quickly to pay for the new AR

Post imported post

Might have to buy some HiPoints in bulk. I am sure they wouldn't mind....
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    KansasMustang wrote:
    Heck I'm gonna go out and buy 20 of em and make beaucoups $$$ LOL
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:

These folks are turning in either snubbies they bought between WWII and the Civil Rights Era disturbances or antiques that were handed down from generation to generation as reminders of how they kept the KKK at bay. Yes, folks in Harlem have/had guns and kept the peace in their own neighborhoods for many decades before the onerous NYC gun laws overtook them. A lot of the "older" folks decided to ignore the laws and keep their guns wrapped in a sock or a scarf, down at the bottom of some drawer - "just in case".
    Reminds me of an "expose" on a "major problem" done by the local rag just north of NYC (gun laws in the rest of NY State are just a tad less restrictive).
    The "Major Problem" was the people with registered/permitted handguns are dying off and (horrors!) their surviving relatives aren't doing their citizenly good duties and registering/getting permits for those weapons.

Post imported post

Overtaxed wrote:
    Reminds me of an "expose" on a "major problem" done by the local rag just north of NYC (gun laws in the rest of NY State are just a tad less restrictive).
    The "Major Problem" was the people with registered/permitted handguns are dying off and (horrors!) their surviving relatives aren't doing their citizenly good duties and registering/getting permits for those weapons.
    Larry the Liberal says, "Well, we need to make it illegal to fail to turn in your dead relative's guns for registration or confiscation!"

Carl the Conservative says, "Good idea, but let's put teeth in the law. Make it a felony! Hey, I know it's okay, the NRA agrees with me about cracking down on illegal gunowners."

Post imported post

The way I look at it is, it doesn't matter how many guns they take off the streets the guns we not the one's committing the crimes. Its the person with the intent to do a crime with the gun. If they don't use a gun it will be a knife, stick, pipe or whatever.

Post imported post

I'd love to set up a table down the street from them and offer 225 per weapon. Put the firearms back in the hands of those who need them. Citizens

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I wonder if they would take home made zipguns? Now that could be a profitable endeaver. LOL

Activist Member

Post imported post

So if you're a crook in NYC and like stealing guns, then you know you can always rely onsome tax dollars to payyou for them no questions asked.

It would look bad if the government barged into houses and took guns. Perhaps they thought privatizationwould be better recieved by the public.

Post imported post

Ohhhhh! My! Wish they'd do that near me.:shock:

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    Ohhhhh! My! Wish they'd do that near me.:shock:
    +1 . I have a couple of old .22 rilfes in my closet which aren't worth it would cost to melt them down. I'd love to get $200 for them. Now that I think about it I have an old Davis .22magnum derrenger that I could get rid of for that price too. $600 would be a nice downpayment on another AR.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

There was some really decent stuff on that table (A pic of the "haul" was part of the NY Daily News article) - I only saw a couple of items that would be looked upon as "junk guns."

"What a waste" was my primary thought on that one...

Post imported post

They just tried a new twist on this yesterday here in New Orleans - Music for Guns. The idea was for people to turn in their guns in exchange for a musical instrument or music lessons. They got lots of donated instruments and raised $30,000. But only 12 people turned in guns, and the ones pictured in the referenced article below looked useless and rusty to me.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2...ce_guns_w.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast