• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheeple giving up guns

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

There is some arguement this doesn't work because people turn in cheap, stolen or broken guns and get $200 towards a new, working, possible stolengun. Discuss.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5irUlrPAGjtjXPITKGGzlHKbVw6RQD9425AN00

500 guns exchanged for cash in Harlem churches
1 day ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Five Harlem churches collected hundreds of weapons — in exchange for cash.

Rifles, handguns and shotguns were handed over on Saturday — no questions asked. Each person who brought a firearm was handed a $200 bank card.

By late Saturday, more than 500 were collected.

It's part of a program sponsored by the NYPD and the Manhattan district attorney's office to remove weapons from city streets with recent spikes in violence. BB guns and air pistols are accepted in exchange for a $20 bank card.

So far, the buyback program started a half dozen years ago has succeeded in removing about 5,000 guns from New York streets. The city has $100,000 in funding left to finance the effort.

Two weeks ago, churches in Brooklyn collected more than 400 firearms.

kparker

imported post

What's to discuss? This topic has been talked to death, both hear on OCDO and elsewhere. The underlying premise only appeals to those with magical thinking (the gun as an evil talisman.)

ETA:

Trevor, I didn't intend the above to come across as, "why are you even bothering to mention this here", but rather that a discussion here might not yield anything interesting, since you'll hardly find anyone here to argue there's anything reasonable about these kind of "buybacks".

So maybe we could direct the discussion around such lines as, "What arguments have you found that actually get the point across to those who are unsure (or, worse yet, start out thinking so-called buybacks are actually a good idea)?"

just_a_car

imported post

Here's a point you didn't get to in your post... this quote: "no questions asked."

So, tell me why a criminal that can potentially get $50-100 on the street for a stolen gun won't go steal MORE guns now that he can get $200 for his crime without any risk of prosecution?

David.Car

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Here's a point you didn't get to in your post... this quote: "no questions asked."

So, tell me why a criminal that can potentially get $50-100 on the street for a stolen gun won't go steal MORE guns now that he can get $200 for his crime without any risk of prosecution?
Just because it says no questions asked doesn't mean they don't take your information and record the serial number with it :)

But anyways, I don't think it would cause people to steal more guns than they already do. It is not like just because this is going on they all of a sudden know exactly where they can get a load of guns easily.

Firearms have always been an item that is stolen during a normal robbery if it is found in the house... Not something that is actively sought out itself.

rodbender

imported post

just_a_car wrote:

If you bought a NIB Hi Point then turned it inyou could make a little change.

David.Car

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
Dang, too bad I don't have any weapons worth less than 200$ LOL I never bought an el cheapo.
There are still a whole lot of WWII surplus you can buy for less ;)I think the Russian Nagant (not the Mosin, but the revolver) can still easily be had for around $80

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Usually it is not gangbangers and wannabe's that turn in guns when these things are carried out. It is older, often retired, folks living on Social Security and a small pension in their mortgage-paid-up homes, who shop at the local corner inconvenience stote that charges 15% more than the big box grocery 5 miles away but is easier to get to and from on arthritic knees and hips.

These folks are turning in either snubbies they bought between WWII and the Civil Rights Era disturbances or antiques that were handed down from generation to generation as reminders of how they kept the KKK at bay. Yes, folks in Harlem have/had guns and kept the peace in their own neighborhoods for many decades before the onerous NYC gun laws overtook them. A lot of the "older" folks decided to ignore the laws and keep their guns wrapped in a sock or a scarf, down at the bottom of some drawer - "just in case".

Now, with times getting harder and there not being as many "youngsters" that they might trust to pass these on to, they are turning them in for cash.Some of them do not want their family toget "caught" with an illegal firearm after they die, or don't want them being stolen when they have to go to the hospital.

Unfortunately, these are thevery folks that need to keep their handguns, and are the ones that were hurt the worst by the GCA of '68 that banned "Saturday Night Specials" - causing the price ofall handguns to go up to avoid being labled as such. (Sure, getting rid of the pot metal guns was a "Good Thing[suP]TM[/suP])

stay safe.

skidmark

tdyoung58

imported post

David.Car wrote:
KansasMustang wrote:
Dang, too bad I don't have any weapons worth less than 200$ LOL I never bought an el cheapo.
There are still a whole lot of WWII surplus you can buy for less ;)I think the Russian Nagant (not the Mosin, but the revolver) can still easily be had for around $80
Yeah, $80 most places . . . . . $120 profit,Heck NY ain't even 2 hours from here, make some serious cash quickly to pay for the new AR

KansasMustang

imported post

David.Car wrote:
KansasMustang wrote:
Heck I'm gonna go out and buy 20 of em and make beaucoups $$$ LOL

Overtaxed

imported post

skidmark wrote:
These folks are turning in either snubbies they bought between WWII and the Civil Rights Era disturbances or antiques that were handed down from generation to generation as reminders of how they kept the KKK at bay. Yes, folks in Harlem have/had guns and kept the peace in their own neighborhoods for many decades before the onerous NYC gun laws overtook them. A lot of the "older" folks decided to ignore the laws and keep their guns wrapped in a sock or a scarf, down at the bottom of some drawer - "just in case".
Reminds me of an "expose" on a "major problem" done by the local rag just north of NYC (gun laws in the rest of NY State are just a tad less restrictive).
The "Major Problem" was the people with registered/permitted handguns are dying off and (horrors!) their surviving relatives aren't doing their citizenly good duties and registering/getting permits for those weapons.

Tomahawk

imported post

Overtaxed wrote:
Reminds me of an "expose" on a "major problem" done by the local rag just north of NYC (gun laws in the rest of NY State are just a tad less restrictive).
The "Major Problem" was the people with registered/permitted handguns are dying off and (horrors!) their surviving relatives aren't doing their citizenly good duties and registering/getting permits for those weapons.
Larry the Liberal says, "Well, we need to make it illegal to fail to turn in your dead relative's guns for registration or confiscation!"

Carl the Conservative says, "Good idea, but let's put teeth in the law. Make it a felony! Hey, I know it's okay, the NRA agrees with me about cracking down on illegal gunowners."

adam40cal

imported post

The way I look at it is, it doesn't matter how many guns they take off the streets the guns we not the one's committing the crimes. Its the person with the intent to do a crime with the gun. If they don't use a gun it will be a knife, stick, pipe or whatever.