• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Omaha, NE to "register" guns?

signald

imported post

I"ve browsed these forums a few times and just purchased a handgun a couple days ago so I wanted to confirm that in fact this has been enacted and unfortunately it doesn't matter if you live in Omaha or not. I live in Bellevue (Sarpy county) and I just purchased a handgun a few days ago in Omaha. They've made it so that now regardless of where you live and will keep the gun, if bought in Omaha you have to register it at the OPD office downtown. It was a huge PITA and I now know never to purchase a gun within Omaha ever again. On top of the pain of driving downtown and waiting in line with jittery crackheads and smelly cab drivers to register it, you have to pay $10 and get printed...all this before you can walk out of the store with the gun....unbelievable.

In other words, if at all possible, avoid buying a hangun in Omaha (none of this applies to long guns).

PavePusher

imported post

If you bought the gun in Omaha, but live elsewhere, how do they "force" you to register it?

Edit: Oops, just read the last sentance... Duh. I'd have bought elsewhere. Take any "registration" paperwork you have and send it back to the police department... shredded.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

signald wrote:
snip......In other words, if at all possible, avoid buying a hangun in Omaha (none of this applies to long guns).
Organize, lobby and get decent, full state preemption.

Inconsistancy in laws will make a criminal of you. Death by a thousand nicks.

Yata hey