• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applied for my CCW Today

ChefW

imported post

Sorry for the long post that follows but here we go!

Well it's about time I took the plunge. I was really getting sick of unloading my mags and pistol everytime I got in the car. So today on my much needed day off I got up around 0700! :banghead:

I thenproceded to head out to get my passport photo's taken. This was a pain in the behind itself. I first went to the walgreen's in Avon Lake (machine down as they just opened). I then went to the walgreen's in North Ridgeville (machine down for repair). :banghead:Then to the North Ridgeville Post Office, They do passport photo's right? WRONG. I then finally went to CVS in North Ridgeville who did them in 10 minutes.

Photos and paperwork in hand I made my way down SR-71 to Ashland. I got there about 1000 hrs. No requirement for an appointment and as the law allows you to apply to any ajoining county I did. I was there for about 15 minutes, paid my $69 bucks and left. I should get it in about 2 weeks he said so I won't have to pull my hair out much longer. :celebrateI made sure to send a very nice email to the Sheriff concerning his wounderful staff and their professionalism. Will update when I hear more.

Deanimator

imported post

ChefW wrote:

Well it's about time I took the plunge. I was really getting sick of unloading my mags and pistol everytime I got in the car. So today on my much needed day off I got up around 0700! :banghead:

I thenproceded to head out to get my passport photo's taken. This was a pain in the behind itself. I first went to the walgreen's in Avon Lake (machine down as they just opened). I then went to the walgreen's in North Ridgeville (machine down for repair). :banghead:Then to the North Ridgeville Post Office, They do passport photo's right? WRONG. I then finally went to CVS in North Ridgeville who did them in 10 minutes.

Photos and paperwork in hand I made my way down SR-71 to Ashland. I got there about 1000 hrs. No requirement for an appointment and as the law allows you to apply to any ajoining county I did. I was there for about 15 minutes, paid my $69 bucks and left. I should get it in about 2 weeks he said so I won't have to pull my hair out much longer. :celebrateI made sure to send a very nice email to the Sheriff concerning his wounderful staff and their professionalism. Will update when I hear more.

I live in Rocky River and submitted mine in Medina County.

I just had my boss take a picture of me with my digital camera, did whatever cleanup was necessary, then printed a sheet of proofs on a color inkjet printer. I cut one out and paperclipped it to the application. I already had everything I needed, so it cost me nothing.

I got mine in exactly thirty days. Medina did a good job too. I didn't send them anything, but I wrote them up on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry website.

ChefW

imported post

That's good. I just got really sick and tired of going somewhere to OC in the car. I would have to unload,take all of the ammo out of the magazines and stow them away seperately. It just got to be a real pain in the neck. Also when I go to other states it would be helpful to have it too.I'm going to apply for my NH non-resident permit next so I can carry in 31 states!

Legba

imported post

As for CCW permits... I finally got released from probation and I'm signed up for the permit class at long last. I got tired of the 'magazine shuffle' when getting in and out of the car (that and being treated like a scumbag by the police - they assume there's a reason you can't get a permit if you don't have one). Should have it by the end of the month. Congrats and good luck with yours.

Another advantage of getting the permit in Ohio is that, under the 'castle doctrine' law, a permit holdercan store a firearm in his/her car, even at a workplace that nominally bans firearms on site.

-ljp

Legba

imported post

Well, I didn't want to resurrect that book of a narrative, but the short form of the disposition was this: I accepted a "deal" to a reduced charge of carrying a concealed weapon, a 1st-degree misdemeanor (it was originallya 4th degree felony as charged). I had to perform 50 hours community service, pay about $200 in costs, and serve "up to" 5 years probation. Most of the probation case load is felons, though, so as long as you discharge your other obligations, they cut that time down considerably. I was only just released from supervision after 6 months.

So now I'm fully reinstated as a citizen, with no ongoing disparagement of my gun rights. I'm signed up for the carry permit class and hope to avoid such problems in the future. It helps that they clarified the transportation laws in the meantime. The only remaining question is whether I'll get delayed on future gun purchases. I may have to sign up for that "unique personal identification number" deal with FBI/NICS to expedite future transactions, but that's ok. I still have a valid federal collectors license, and I work at a licensed gun shop, so I can get whatever I want on the cheap.

I did at least win the civil forfeiture suit they had filed. They impounded my car, gun, and effects, saying that they were the instrumentality of the offense. Complete nonsense, and their case was dismissed with prejudice, so I did get the gun back. The impound and storage fees were not covered though, and they amounted to more than the value of the vehicle, so I got screwed on that. At least the police won't profit from selling it off at auction.

So - all told, it cost me something like $5,000 to save the $100 or so it would have cost me to get the permit in the 1st place. An expensive civics lesson, to be sure.

-ljp

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Legba wrote:
Well, I didn't want to resurrect that book of a narrative, but the short form of the disposition was this: I accepted a "deal" to a reduced charge of carrying a concealed weapon, a 1st-degree misdemeanor (it was originallya 4th degree felony as charged).
And the basioc facts - you were the guy open carrying at a gas station and got felony stopped down the road??

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ChefW wrote:

Is the name of your state's permit really "CCW"?

What is the name of Ohio's permit to conceal?

Legba

imported post

Mike wrote:
Legba wrote:
Well, I didn't want to resurrect that book of a narrative, but the short form of the disposition was this: I accepted a "deal" to a reduced charge of carrying a concealed weapon, a 1st-degree misdemeanor (it was originallya 4th degree felony as charged).
And the basioc facts - you were the guy open carrying at a gas station and got felony stopped down the road??
No, I was the one who stopped at a Wendy's drive-through next to some stake-out at a motel and they pounced on me, saw the gun case, and flipped out. The gas station incident was Sayers, as I recall.

-ljp

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Legba wrote:
Mike wrote:
Legba wrote:
No, I was the one who stopped at a Wendy's drive-through next to some stake-out at a motel and they pounced on me, saw the gun case, and flipped out. The gas station incident was Sayers, as I recall.

-ljp
And what was the basis of the charge?

Legba

imported post

It was a bogus "bad neighborhood" pretext stop. They asked consent to search,I refused, they saw a gun case (gun unloaded within) and grabbed me out of the car, cuffed me, arrested me, impounded my stuff, threatened to "kick the shit out of [me]," ran me to jail, and filed a felony complaint with the grand jury for improper transporation of a firearm. The grand jury "no-billed" it, they resubmitted it as a "carrying concealed weapon" complaint. And here we are...

-ljp

Ohio Patriot

imported post

If I recall correctly, Legba did not have a loaded gun in his car by the conventional definition of "loaded." His handgun was unloaded and in a case, and the ammo was stored separately.

Sounds good, right?Here's the problem... he had loaded magazines in his car. The prosecutor argued that a loaded magazine constitutes a loaded gun... even if the magazine and gun are separated. :shock:You can't have a loaded handgun in your vehicle unless you have a CHL.

Stupid? I agree. Welcome to Ohio.

There was no law that said loaded magazine = loaded gun. But there were some court decisions that made it a de facto law.

FYI, Ohio recently passed a law that explicitly states loaded magazine = loaded gun. It's a stupid law, obviously, and we need to get it repealed. But at least now there's no ambiguity on the issue.

Brian D.

imported post

Mike wrote:
Is the name of your state's permit really "CCW"?

What is the name of Ohio's permit to conceal?
Ohio License To Carry A Concealed Handgun or the very catchy OLTCACH for short. Btw if anybody was wondering if "A concealed handgun" means that you can't carry more than one, you're wrong, it's addressed in the details of the legislation.

ChefW

imported post

Well we are on about day 13 so hopefully it will be any day soon. The deputy said about 3 weeks so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed!

ChefW

imported post

I'm really starting to get anxious. There is nothing on my record at all. Should I call and ask to see where I am in the process? I hate to get them mad at me. If that happens I am sure they will push my application to the back of the pile. What do you think?

Brian D.

imported post

Chef, they have 45 days, and until that time limit has elapsed calling them will do nothing to speed up the process.

Ohio's Bureau of Criminal Indentification has been very slow doing their part of thechecks lately. The reason that they and the sheriff's departments give is the increased workload of doing background checks on just about everybody nowadays whose job involves working with children. That is due to some recent changes in legislation, so the problem should have been forseeable, but...we're dealing with wonks* in the public sector, after all.

*No offense intended to those in the public sector who are not wonks.

Legba

imported post

The normal turnaround time in Butler County is about 2 weeks. You can file the application in an adjacent county as well as the one in which you reside, for future reference, in case some are demonstrably more efficient at processing these. That doesn't help you now, but if anyone asks in the future... I'm tempted to apply for mine in Montgomery County where I got busted (which shares a small segment of borderline with Butler), just as a token of my affection for them there. If I could pay the fee here and pick it up there I would.

-ljp

ChefW

imported post

Legba wrote:
The normal turnaround time in Butler County is about 2 weeks. You can file the application in an adjacent county as well as the one in which you reside, for future reference, in case some are demonstrably more efficient at processing these. That doesn't help you now, but if anyone asks in the future... I'm tempted to apply for mine in Montgomery County where I got busted (which shares a small segment of borderline with Butler), just as a token of my affection for them there. If I could pay the fee here and pick it up there I would.

-ljp
I'm glad that I could do that. I live in Lorain County, but I applied in Ashland County. I looked at ccwhen.com which I found on the OFCC board. This website is a great tool. It allows you to input the time it took you to get your CHL and it is entered into a database. This would really help the users on this board in getting their CHL if that is their goal.