• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wished I had my Sig & acquired CCW permit

joeroket

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Hologram wrote:
Sat through the shoot-out in International district on Oct. 25 1:50am-lish.
As I was dining at Purple Dot on Maynard Ave, sat near window and heard
4 to 5 pops, few seconds pause...then 6 to 7 more pops (all sounded like 9mm).

Right away I wished I had my Sig & CCW permit, as what if the getto gang bangers decides to enter the establishment and go postal on diners, or those clowns decide to use restaurant as shelter.

SPD arrived 5 min. or so after the thug(s) and victim has left, and
didn't know then...but my window seating was 10ft away from line of fire!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/33303944.html

Question:

Knowing the shooter was not aiming at me, but they decided to have an open shoot-out with all restaurant patrons near-by...besides seeking shelter right & then, when would my CCW be considered legal to be drawn?

It's an old cliché, but it's so appropriate: "When seconds matter, the police areonlyminutes away."

I'm not an attorney at all, but in this state you do have the right to defend the lives of those nearby you, if you perceive them to be in danger as per RCW 9A.16.110. That law allowsa personto protect by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property, or for coming to the aid of another who is in imminent danger of or the victim of assault, robbery, kidnapping, arson, burglary, rape, murder, or any other violent crime as defined in RCW 9.94A.030. (Note that this is the "list of felonies" as it were, that others have asked about. It's alot to wade through and it refers to many other RCWs.)

Since the window was very near their line of fire it would have been very reasonable to assume that not only was your life potentially in danger, but the lives of all of the other patrons were as well. Furthermore, the news story indicates that one boy was shot and hospitalized. That alone would allow you to defend his life by any reasonable means necessary.

The catch is, you'd have to convince the jury that deadly force against the assailants was reasonable.

Again, I'm not an attorney, but I would make sure that if you're going to defend some other random person you don't know that their life is truly in danger before you do so. The last thing you want to do is defend someone's life only to have them refuse to testify on your behalf, or worse, testify against you by claiming that you over-reacted and their life was not in danger.

Protecting yourself or your family is usually a safe bet. Protecting children is usually a safe bet too. Protecting adult strangers is a little more dicey and using deadly force to protect your real or personal property is pretty tough to justify.
[line]
To answer your question in a direct manner, your CCP is legal to be drawn and firedwhen the jury who is sitting on your murder trial decides to find you not guilty, as per RCW 9A.16.110or when the police officers who respond to your "vigilantism" decide it was self-defense or the lawful defense of others as per RCW 9A.16.110.

However, if the police charge you with murder and the jury finds you guilty, then it was illegal to draw your CCP.

Even if it was legal, you could still be sued by the perps you shot (or by their surviving families) in civil court and it could be for a huge amount of money.
[line]
P.S.

In this case quentusrex's citation of RCW 9A.16.020 applies primarily to law enforcement, and not to you. The RCW I cited applies to private citizens.
That RCW you quote has nothing to do with the question asked. It is for reimbursement by the state if you are found not guilty and the crime was justifiable as self defense. You are not found not guilty in accordance with RCW 9A.16.110. You are either guily or not guilty, then they decide if it was justifiable as self defense.

You need to read 9a.16.030 and 9a.16.050. These are the justifiable uses of force that apply to non-LEO.

Also LEO do not decide if a crime was in self defense and charges are filed. They are fact gatherers and forward thier info to the prosecutors office to determine if it was justified or not.

Triple Tap

imported post

Hologram wrote:
To switch into a scenario base...if the two way shooting occured in the restaurant,not knowing who isthe GG or BG andneitherInor rest of the patrons being intended target, with my sidearm andpermit, do I:

1.Take best coverandallow thetwo way shoot-out to end when it does?

2.Draw my pistol and tell both parties to stop? Andhope they do (kinda suicidal)?

3.Draw and defend myself, friend (the strangers aspect let's leave out for now)should an unintended bullet get very near, and respond backandstart apossible 3 way shoot-out?

Thanks all for your input and knowledge base! I now start to educate my friends that having afirearm comes with great responsibilities.

The way I see this is that by clearing leather you are now on even ground with anyone that comes though that resturant door armed with a drawn weapon. You are within 10 feet of a firefight, you dont know which way they are coming or going, so being prepared is better than leaving it holstered a realying on a quick draw. I would consider that enough to be in imediate danger for myself and others.

Trying to draw on someone eles that is already drawn can lead to your demise. Of course if that is your only option, draw, draw fast.:D

shad0wfax

imported post

Multiple quoting apparently does not work.

joeroket:

Thanks for pointing out 9a.16.030 and 9a.16.050 to me for justifiable force for non-LEOs. Thanks for reminding me that the LEOs don't make the call on whether or not you're charged with a crime ormake a determination on self defense. I jumped a few steps. What I was trying to say was thatthe impression you leave with the LEOs and the evidence they do (or do not) obtain has an impact on whether or not you are cleared and considered acting in self-defense.

Triple Tap:

You make a good point about having your weapon drawn in advance and being fully prepared to defend yourself before the perp is aware of you. However, you face a greater risk of being unable to prove your life wasdirectly threatened bythe perp in court. You would be basing your defense on the fact that someone else's life was directly threatened by the perp, which may be a slightly weaker position. Additionally, you run the risk of frightening another patroning, which may result in charges being filed against you if they perceive your manner to be threatening towards them (however misguided their perceptions are) Lastly, there's the remote possibility that the LEOs could mistake you for one of the bad guys and shoot you if they happen to show up while the firefight is in progress. (Although this is highly unlikely, there's a chance it may happen.)

I still think your best bet is to escape from the situation if you can safely do so.

joeroket

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:

joeroket:

Thanks for pointing out 9a.16.030 and 9a.16.050 to me for justifiable force for non-LEOs. Thanks for reminding me that the LEOs don't make the call on whether or not you're charged with a crime ormake a determination on self defense. I jumped a few steps. What I was trying to say was thatthe impression you leave with the LEOs and the evidence they do (or do not) obtain has an impact on whether or not you are cleared and considered acting in self-defense.
I couldn't agree more.

Misguided Child

imported post

Holo,

There's been some good advice in this thread, but, unless you want to risk years in prison AND you have a 6 figure defense fund, you need professional training.

There is nothing cut and dried here that you can get from the law. Everything will be based on the perceptions of others, even the facts can be interpreted differently by police and prosecutors and witnesses.

you are risking everything you have on the advice of an internet discussion group. Call FAS and get a training schedule, save your money and plan a 4 day vacation to take LFI 1. Read everything you can by Massad Ayoob and you will see why you need the training. A justifiable shoot can put you away for life if you say the wrong thing at the scene. GET TRAINING!

Triple Tap

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:

Triple Tap:

You make a good point about having your weapon drawn in advance and being fully prepared to defend yourself before the perp is aware of you. However, you face a greater risk of being unable to prove your life wasdirectly threatened bythe perp in court. You would be basing your defense on the fact that someone else's life was directly threatened by the perp, which may be a slightly weaker position. Additionally, you run the risk of frightening another patroning, which may result in charges being filed against you if they perceive your manner to be threatening towards them (however misguided their perceptions are) Lastly, there's the remote possibility that the LEOs could mistake you for one of the bad guys and shoot you if they happen to show up while the firefight is in progress. (Although this is highly unlikely, there's a chance it may happen.)

I still think your best bet is to escape from the situation if you can safely do so.
As stated that I would have thought and believed, given being 10 feet away from a firefight that mine and everyones life was in immediate danger.

Being in a firefight and a LEO rolling in can happen, They WILL CONSIDER EVERYONE A BAD GUY. If your in a tunnel mode and don't comply with them immediatly , your gonna be hurt or dead. This is one reason LEO's have drop down ID jackets that they wear even off duty. Giving all responding officers clear knowledge that they also are LEO's on scene.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:

Triple Tap:

As stated that I would have thought and believed, given being 10 feet away from a firefight that mine and everyones life was in immediate danger.

Being in a firefight and a LEO rolling in can happen, They WILL CONSIDER EVERYONE A BAD GUY. If your in a tunnel mode and don't comply with them immediatly , your gonna be hurt or dead. This is one reason LEO's have drop down ID jackets that they wear even off duty. Giving all responding officers clear knowledge that they also are LEO's on scene.
So your theory is because a cop might show up and shoot you if you don't comply with his orders, you are better off getting shot by the perp without drawing your weapon and defending yourself and others. I don't think so. Just get your own drop down jacket that says "Honest Armed Citizen" and "Don't Shoot Me!".

PT111

imported post

Just get your own drop down jacket that says "Honest Armed Citizen" and "Don't Shoot Me!".
Better than one of those Concealed Weapons badges. When an armedLEO says hit the dirt start digging and then ask how deep? You can convince him that you are the GG later if you are still alive, don't try to while standing there holding your gun. :what:

Bear 45/70

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Just get your own drop down jacket that says "Honest Armed Citizen" and "Don't Shoot Me!".
Better than one of those Concealed Weapons badges. When an armedLEO says hit the dirt start digging and then ask how deep? You can convince him that you are the GG later if you are still alive, don't try to while standing there holding your gun. :what:
I agree with this. If you are in a shoot out,God forbid!,be aware that the cops may well consider anyone with a gun a bad guy and act accordingly. If you have someone call 911 make sure they give your description as a "GOOD GUY" and for the cops not toshoot you. But also be aware that the message often gets garbles between the 911 caller and the responding officer. So be ready to follow the "Drop the gun and on the ground spread eagle, face down."