• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voting Armed

SQLtables

imported post

I don't think I've seen this in the Michigan forum.

I did a little searching and couldn't find much in the few minutes I was looking. Did I miss something? Is anybody going to OC and vote? I plan to unless I find something telling me it's illegal.

ghostrider

imported post

SQLtables wrote:

I did a little searching and couldn't find much in the few minutes I was looking. Did I miss something? Is anybody going to OC and vote? I plan to unless I find something telling me it's illegal.
There was a thread about this on MGO forums. Don't remember what the consensus was, or what JS said about it. Never gave it much thought since my voting booth is in a school.

That said, I've never seen anything in any of the laws I've looked up that mention it. However, that doesn't mean that there's a law that I didn't look up that did mention it.

Even if it is legal, it's one of those areas where you should be prepared for some form of opposition. In this case, I'd guess that opposition would eventually involve LE since it's already involving the bureaucracy. Of course it also depends on your local LE.

SQLtables

imported post

Opposition? I see no justification for opposition, though I do think you're right that it would happen. Frankenmuth PD know the OC is legal, I made sure of that.

I found this in the Election Law (I think it's the right place to look):

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(i54s2n453nnzsevnreskqouj))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-168-744
168.744 Prohibited acts; violation as misdemeanor.
Sec. 744.

(1) An election inspector or any other person in the polling room or in a compartment connected to the polling room or within 100 feet from any entrance to the building in which the polling place is located shall not persuade or endeavor to persuade a person to vote for or against any particular candidate or party ticket, or for or against any ballot question that is being voted on at the election. A person shall not place or distribute stickers, other than stickers provided by the election officials pursuant to law, in the polling room or in a compartment connected to the polling room or within 100 feet from any entrance to the building in which the polling place is located.

(2) A person shall not solicit donations, gifts, contributions, purchase of tickets, or similar demands, or request or obtain signatures on petitions in the polling room or in a compartment connected to the polling room or within 100 feet from any entrance to the building in which the polling place is located.

(3) On election day, a person shall not post, display, or distribute in a polling place, in any hallway used by voters to enter or exit a polling place, or within 100 feet of an entrance to a building in which a polling place is located any material that directly or indirectly makes reference to an election, a candidate, or a ballot question. This subsection does not apply to official material that is required by law to be posted, displayed, or distributed in a polling place on election day.

(4) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

SQLtables

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Opposition? I see no justification for opposition, though I do think you're right that it would happen. Frankenmuth PD know the OC is legal, I made sure of that.

Never said the opposition would be justified.:D

Oh, I know. I was just saying that the Frankenmuth PD should know what to do, which is nothing. Although I do suspect they might spend some time making sure I have a right to OC at a polling place.

ghostrider

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

Oh, I know. I was just saying that the Frankenmuth PD should know what to do, which is nothing. Although I do suspect they might spend some time making sure I have a right to OC at a polling place.
Wasn't it someone at the Frakenmuth dispatch that said something about "you people aren't going to OC here"?

SQLtables

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

Wasn't it someone at the Frakenmuth dispatch that said something about "you people aren't going to OC here"?

Yessir. Ruger45 called and was told it was the Chief of Police that had said that. I went to the PD and talked to the chief personally and he said he wasn't even in the office that day... figure that one out...

But yes, somebody at the PD said that. I have OCed here many times, and the chief assures me that they know OC is legal and they won't even approach us unless we are committing a crime.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SQLtables wrote:

The only thing I stumbled across was that Still/Video Cameras and other Recording Devices were prohibited while the voting booths were open.

ETA: Link http://nbc25online.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=214077

Gosirr

imported post

SQLtables wrote:

Only thing I could find is if you voted in a school. Because of the federal "gun free zones". But if you have a Michigan cpl you are in the clear because Michigan does a background check prior to issuing the cpl.

http://www.gunowners.org/fs9611.htm

qoute from link:

THE "GUN OWNER REGISTRATION EXEMPTION:" The "gun free zones" law exempts CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) holders who live in a state that requires a background check before the issuing of a permit. (This means that CCW holders that live in states like Alabama are not exempted under this provision because background checks are not mandated by state law.)

Michigander

imported post

It's kind of funny, if the voting takes place at a school, you'd have to have a CPL, then you'd have to OC since it's a gun free zone. It would stand a really good chance of getting police attention. In the metro detroit area, I think it would stand a good chance of yielding an incident worthy of a law suit. Not that there is anything wrong with that...;)

SQLtables

imported post

Well, I don't really feel comfortable doing this. I haven't found anything otherwise, except a post on some forum where a guy said he's pretty sure it's illegal in Michigan, but that doesn't mean anything. Still, I don't know...I probably won't do it, just in case.

taxwhat

imported post

SQLtables wrote:

I found this in the Election Law (I think it's the right place to look):

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(i54s2n453nnzsevnreskqouj))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-168-744
168.744 Prohibited acts; violation as misdemeanor.
Sec. 744.

(1) An election inspector or any other person in the polling room or in a compartment connected to the polling room or within 100 feet from any entrance to the building in which the polling place is located shall not persuade or endeavor to persuade a person to vote for or against any particular candidate or party ticket, or for or against any ballot question that is being voted on at the election. A person shall not place or distribute stickers, other than stickers provided by the election officials pursuant to law, in the polling room or in a compartment connected to the polling room or within 100 feet from any entrance to the building in which the polling place is located.

(2) A person shall not solicit donations, gifts, contributions, purchase of tickets, or similar demands, or request or obtain signatures on petitions in the polling room or in a compartment connected to the polling room or within 100 feet from any entrance to the building in which the polling place is located.

(3) On election day, a person shall not post, display, or distribute in a polling place, in any hallway used by voters to enter or exit a polling place, or within 100 feet of an entrance to a building in which a polling place is located any material that directly or indirectly makes reference to an election, a candidate, or a ballot question. This subsection does not apply to official material that is required by law to be posted, displayed, or distributed in a polling place on election day.

(4) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
OK very good question the two people I Know that are elected clerk state they do not know but are asking SOS to get it in email to all . BTW ;both thought if not prohibited by election law [voting in church or school wouldbe governmental arm [most direct route] and OK .