Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handgun for girlfriend

Post imported post

Hi, I need some advice. I am going to get my girlfriend a handgun for christmas but there are a number of factors i need to take into consideration to select the perfect one: it must fit her tiny hands, must have light recoil, must be a revolver, preferably have stainless steel or nickel finish, preferably barrel longer than 3", must have wood grips , most importantly under $400. i was thinking along the lines of a Cimarron Lightning or 32 h&r mag Single Six.

Post imported post

noittinen wrote:
    Hi, I need some advice. I am going to get my girlfriend a handgun for christmas but there are a number of factors i need to take into consideration to select the perfect one: it must fit her tiny hands, must have light recoil, must be a revolver, preferably have stainless steel or nickel finish, preferably barrel longer than 3", must have wood grips , most importantly under $400. i was thinking along the lines of a Cimarron Lightning or 32 h&r mag Single Six.

Tell her you want'a get her a gun first. Take yer to a gun store (one with a range) and let her get the feel of somethin'. .32 is worthless as a defensive round. .38 minimum. Wood grips are worthless for absorbing recoil. Pachmeyr makes great rubber ones. My wife put 'em on her .38 snubbie 'cause she has small hands. Control is worth far more than appearance. It's a tool... nota toy.

Post imported post

I have told her that I want to get her a gun. the nickel/ss and wood grips were her idea not mine. She has shot my bersa .380 and that was pushing it. I need to get her somthing that won't scare her and appeals to her aesthetically. Life is too short to spend it with an ugly gun. She always says how pretty my stainless super blackhawk is. This isn't a defensive gun so much as a " hey come with me to the quarry and shoot off a few rounds with your new gun" gun. She can't carry a gun on the army base she works at anyway.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I agree with Sonora Rebel. If you can get her to sampleas wide a range of handguns as possible (within reason) she might loosen her criteria a bit and narrow down your best options. And if she really wants a handgun you won't ruin the surprise. She'll probably appreciate that you put so much effort into getting it right.

You're fortunate. I wish my old lady shared my affinity for firearms...or at least was more tolerant of my enthusiasm. But I digress. Good luck.

Post imported post

I'd suggest trying some of the heavier gun types if she's concerned about recoil. Get her to try out some of the heavier full sized guns and see if she likes it. Most of the .380s I've seen have been fairly compact and as a result tend to be lighter and kick more - look for something with a little meat on it to absorb the force.

Post imported post

My Ex-Wife used to love her S&W model 66, 2.5" barrel .357 Magnum Stainless Steel with Houge Monogrips. You should be able to find one used for under $375.

My Ex also had very small hands. She carried a .38spl+P load which had less felt recoil than my P226 9mm.

It's a K frame Smitty, Heavier than most 6 shot .357's in its class, yet the extra little "heft" of the gun made recoil minimal with even the heavy .38's./ light .357's

But, as most others have said on the subject, Take her out and let her feel a few that she likes, Then let her test fire 'em (if possible). Otherwise, you/she might end up with a gun
    that is beautiful, but she's afraid to shoot it.

S&W M66 w/monogrip- http://www.armouryinaction.co.uk/med...rs/sw66-25.jpg

~~Springfield

Post imported post

I have found that a taurus millinium pro is very female friendly..

heres some videos that i have compliled over the internet to educate family members.. it may help your woman also.

www.myspace.com/opencarryidaho

Post imported post

I agree with the .38 spl idea if you stick with a revolver. I have a nearly 100 year old S&W .38 nickel finish revolver with original wood grips. I have allowed several smaller women with smaller hands shoot it. Not one of them had a problem handling it with target loads. Their only complaint is that the wood grips are somewhat narrow even for their smallish hands.

On the other hand, every newb woman I have taken out shooting has preferred my Sig P228 9mm to the .38 revolver, .22 or .25 semi-auto or FIE Titan II .380.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    .32 is worthless as a defensive round. .38 minimum.
    snip
    Always love these comments.
    http://www.handloads.org/misc/stoppi....asp?Caliber=0

The new .327 looks promising, both Ruger and Charter Arms have revolvers chambered for it, they will also shot .32 SW, .32 Long and .32 H&R mag.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...iot_73270.html

The soft rubber grips are nice for range guns and guns that aren't going to be carried Concealed.
    Ihave found them to cling to cover garments when concealing.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

cccook wrote:
    ...I wish my old lady shared my affinity for firearms...or at least was more tolerant of my enthusiasm...
    Or maybe you don't.

My wife does, and she has a safe full of Glocks, Walthers, Sigs, Rugers, S&W's, Mossbergs and a Mosin Nagant for good measure. Remember, every gun you buy for her is one less you can buy for yourself. :?
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun."

Post imported post

noittinen wrote:
    Consider a .357 mag (which can fire reduced loads in the form of .38 special +P or +P+) or a .327 Federal Magnum (new cartridge). The Ruger SP101 can be had with a 3-1/16" or 4" barrel in either chambering and is relatively inexpensive. (Although it may be slightly above your budget, but only by 50-60 bucks.) To outfit it with wood grips, you'd pay an additional 50-80 for a very nice set of Hogues or something comparable. You may also be able to find a used S&W J-frame (or a larger K-frame if you want) for less, if you shop around. Grips are more readily available for the J and K's than they are for the SP101 at this point. Ruger Redhawks are another thing to consider.

The .327 Federal Magnum is supposed to have similar terminal performance to the .357 mag out of a short barrel, but have recoil closer to that of a .38 special +P which is quite managable. With a good set ofwood grips that promote a solid grip of the firearmand a moderately heavy framed and well balanced revolver, perceived recoil will be at a minimum and controllability will be excellent. To save money you could go with Hogue monogrips instead. (They're rubber, but they're an excellent design.)

As others have mentioned most 32's (the .327 FMag is an exception) are less than adequate and even a .38 Special +P is on the low end of what would be ideal for a defense firearm. I don't think that a .380 auto is adequate. A 9mm is borderline, in my opinion, and the 40 smiths seem to have very snappy recoil from what I've felt. If I was going for an auto, I'd stick with a .45 ACP in a 1911 (or shortened 1911) style. They're heavy enough that recoil is not so much of an issue and the grips aren't too wide for smaller hands.

Post imported post

I have another suggestion to consider. Have you looked at the Taurus 4410? 5shot chambered for 45 colt or .410 shotgun shells. I understand it comes in either a 2in. or 6in. and is priced in the range you mentioned. Makes a formidable hole or a lot of little ones depending on the circumstances required.

Post imported post

buzzsaw wrote:
    Have you looked at the Taurus 4410?
    Makes a formidable hole or a lot of little ones depending on the circumstances required.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

It really isn't that impressive.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

This guy was shootin' the thing at about 40' from the target, which is NOT the normal self defense range. Somebody tell me 4+ inches of penetration won't kill or incapacitate? There's no allowance for bone fragmentation. Since the last time this came up... I borrowed a Taurus'Judge' 410/.45 Did a test of my own on a pair of cow skulls at about 5'. The .45 put a hole in it... and blew the innards out. (My .45 Ruger Vaquero will do the same thing.) The 000 410 Buck destroyed the other skull with one shot. 000 Buck doesn't flatten in the barrel... it flattens when it hits somethin'. If it won't flatten inna shot gun... why should it magically flatten inna gun barrel of the same bore diameter? This guy is goin' on about 'expansion'... What the hell does he think them balls are doin'? Not only that... those flattened 'disks' are gonna go sideways in 'meat'... and hydraulic shock in a body is gonna rupture and displace organs, 'cause massive bleeding. Only reasonI didn't recommend this weapon for a girl is 'cause of weight 'n recoil.

Post imported post

I personally think that my RugerSP101 327 or glorfied 32 is an excellent personal defense gun with its 110 grain hollows that cn go through 14" of meat it will do some damage I can shoot a wide selection at the range. It is small, but solid.

Post imported post

FWIW: Kendo_Bunny has a Taurus Tracker in .38, and she likes it a lot.

She has tiny hands, and it fits her well. The seven shots is a nice touch, too.

Oddly enough, I was out with it a couple of weeks ago, and I found I had slightly better groups one-handed than I did two. :shock:

Then again, I have large hands, and I prefer something like a full-size 1911, or that old Star 9x25.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    or that old Star 9x25.
    I think you mean 9x21.
    [line]
    It is a slightly elongated 9mm case and has been around for a while.
    The 9x21 shoots a 100 gr bullet @ about 1500fps from a 5" bbl.

Then there is the 9x23 which is even longer and was developed during the mid to early days of IPSC (I believe).
    The 9x23 can shoot a 124gr bullet @ 1600 fps from a 5" bbl.
    Winchester's factory loading the ST isn't that fast.

The 9x25 round as we know it is a fairly modern cartridge developed by Dillion for IPSC, it uses a 10mm casing necked down to 9mm.
    It can propel a 90gr bullet @ 2100 fps from a 6" bbl and a 125gr bullet @ 1800 fps from 5" bbl.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

You would be correct, sir.

It's a mighty-fine and comfortable piece of equipment, let me tell you!

Post imported post

Actually I could be wrong.
    The 9x23 (Largo) has been around for awhile.
    Modern 9x23 introduced in 1996 by Winchester should not be used in guns chambered in 9mm Largo but Largo can be used in 9x23 chambered guns.
    Modern 9x23 ammo is loaded to higher presuures and could be unsafe in older guns.

[line]
    This is the gun my Mother choose.
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol

My wife prefers 10mm.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

i would invest time in taking her to hold the potential choices to see if they are comfortable in her hand

Post imported post

As a handgun instructor, especially for women, I certainly second what so many of these folks have said. Let her pick it out herself after handling and shooting as many different guns as possible.

Just as important, however, is to get her into a good basic handgun class so she will have both the understanding and the confidence to shoot effectively and safely. It is important that the husband or boyfriend NOT attempt to teach this because it is almost always counterproductive and can permanently discourage a woman from either shooting sports or self defense.

She needs to be taught in a non-threatening environment not charged with emotion.

You'll both benefit from that.

Good luck! I rejoice each time another person decides to take the necessary steps to accept personal responsibility for their own lives and safety.

I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Post imported post

Hey! That's not always the case.

I've taken six newbies to the range this year, and I taught Kendo_Bunny how to shoot.

Everyone of the newbies has enjoyed their time thoroughly, and one of the couples is looking to buy their first pistol soon.

Did I mention Kendo gets better groups than I do?

The trick is, when you take them to the range, don't force. Just tell them to watch you as you fire (presuming you have decent enough technique), and tell them they are welcome to have a go whenever they feel ready.

Be relaxed, and start 'em off on a .22. They will let you know when they are ready to step up to the next caliber.

Bonus points if you stand behind her, put your arms over hers, and put her hands into place.:celebrate

Post imported post

Hey! That's not always the case. I've taken six newbies to the range this year, and I taught Kendo_Bunny how to shoot.
    That's great, Abno, but you are undoubtedly a rare exception to the rule. I've been teaching women about shooting and self defense for a long time, and the evidence is pretty overwhelming that most women are put off and confused when their men try to teach them, especially in the beginning.

Don't forget that she also needs to learn about self defense and the ethical, legal implications of using lethal force. She still needs an appropriate class - and it would probably be great if you took it together. You can then both get in regular range and dry fire time to make the most of it.

I still take such training regularly. There is always something more to be learned and skills to improve. Don't short circuit that process for her or yourself.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Post imported post

Apparently, I am a good instructor, then.

Oh, and we head out to the range on occasion.

Post imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
    Hey! That's not always the case. I've taken six newbies to the range this year, and I taught Kendo_Bunny how to shoot.
    That's great, Abno, but you are undoubtedly a rare exception to the rule. I've been teaching women about shooting and self defense for a long time, and the evidence is pretty overwhelming that most women are put off and confused when their men try to teach them, especially in the beginning.

Don't forget that she also needs to learn about self defense and the ethical, legal implications of using lethal force. She still needs an appropriate class - and it would probably be great if you took it together. You can then both get in regular range and dry fire time to make the most of it.

I still take such training regularly. There is always something more to be learned and skills to improve. Don't short circuit that process for her or yourself.
    DITTO!!! (to both actually...)
    I have taught a few of the women in my life to shoot (probably taking my sister this weekend) and have never had a bad experience with it;
    HOWEVER,
    Whenever possible I will allow another trusted individual to do at least the initial 'training' and I ALWAYS recommend taking a formal class.
    A few of my friends have had me introduce thier wives/girlfriends/sisters/etc to shooting and I have done the same...
    The reasoning is basically that you are 'too close' to the situation. Your own girlfriend/wife/etc can (and often will) tell you to 'shut up' (or whatever else they feel the situation calls for) and is less likely to take you seriously. But your 'friend' or an 'instructor' is a bigger 'gun nut' than you are (in their eyes) and has more 'experience'. Weather that is true or not, they will believe it to be true and it removes emotion from the initial exercise entirely.
    You may want to 'interview' the chosen instructor before you choose them to make sure that their shooting styles match to yours to avoid confusion later, but as a general rule of thumb, let someone else 'teach' them at first.
    Unfortunately with my sister at the moment, I am on a truncated time table as I think she is only going to be here for about a day or so and I really don't know too many other people in the area as I just moved here recently, but all I am going to do with her is to 'familiarize' her with the handling of handguns and get her to shoot a couple of smaller calibers so that she wont be scared of them. Then she goes off to training when I get the money to send her! (Hopefully all this will be complete by Christmas so that I can get her a really good Christmas present!!!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast