Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything going on the west side of Michigan?

Post imported post

I've noticed there isn't much chatter from people on the west side of the state. And was wondering if there was anything in the works.

Post imported post

What would you like to do ?

Breakfast

lunch

dinner

Go to a range, have OC get together, picnic BRRRR!

IAM OPEN TO MOST SUGGESTIONS

Post imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
    What would you like to do ?

Breakfast

lunch

dinner

Go to a range, have OC get together, picnic BRRRR!

IAM OPEN TO MOST SUGGESTIONS

Go south for the winter? lol. . . no, just curious is there was anything going on the west side of the state. It seems everything's quiet on the western front.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Shadows wrote:
    I've noticed there isn't much chatter from people on the west side of the state. And was wondering if there was anything in the works.
    All it takes is one person to organize something over there. I know Skip Coryell would like to attend something in the Kazoo or GR area. I might make it to something over there as well. Whether you have 3 or 30 attend it's still fun. They had a GR event last summer and several people were there. I bet some of them would attend as well.

You don't have to have the press and all the other bells and whistles (did I say bells and whistle, God I'm pathetic.), just a nice lunch and a chance to meet some nice people. You talk and get to know each other and you plan for future events in your region. It's a starting point.

See this thread for some tips on planning an event. Propose a day and what you want to do....lunch at McDonald's, a shopping trip, a walk in a park, lawn bowling, cricket, whatever.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/16628.html

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    All it takes is one person to organize something over there. I know Skip Coryell would like to attend something in the Kazoo or GR area. I might make it to something over there as well. Whether you have 3 or 30 attend it's still fun. They had a GR event last summer and several people were there. I bet some of them would attend as well.

You don't have to have the press and all the other bells and whistles (did I say bells and whistle, God I'm pathetic.), just a nice lunch and a chance to meet some nice people. You talk and get to know each other and you plan for future events in your region. It's a starting point.

See this thread for some tips on planning an event. Propose a day and what you want to do....lunch at McDonald's, a shopping trip, a walk in a park, lawn bowling, cricket, whatever

Thanks for the info, butI already know how to plan an event. AndI never was that interested in having any press around, they have a way of twisting what an event wasfor or even about.

But I'm not from Kazoo or Grand Rapids area. This is whyI was asking if anything was in the works. I can't plan for an area that I'm not familar with. Believe me, there's NOTHING worth seeing in my area. Unless you'd want to just go hunting.

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

Post imported post

I'm still waiting for something to come up, I'm usually busy most of the time but may be able to make a meeting if someone makes the time and place.

Post imported post

Shadows wrote:
    Thanks for the info, butI already know how to plan an event. AndI never was that interested in having any press around, they have a way of twisting what an event wasfor or even about.

But I'm not from Kazoo or Grand Rapids area. This is whyI was asking if anything was in the works. I can't plan for an area that I'm not familar with. Believe me, there's NOTHING worth seeing in my area. Unless you'd want to just go hunting.
    Come on, you could meet in Greenville, Muskegon, Alma, I'm guessing you'll have to drive a bit, unless it's in your backyard.

I'm planning on having an event in Traverse City this spring/summer. I'm hoping to get more people from the northern counties involved. I want to cover the event map with red dots. So people step up and earn that red dot for your area.:celebrate
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Good morning i was just looking at the amount of people in michigan and i know we could have a meeting i am going to pm alot of people on the west side !!!!!!!

Quarter horseman when are you available weekdays weekends ?

Post imported post

Well, I would definitely show up around Alma, my band practices over in that area, so I'm used to the drive.

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

Post imported post

I'm usualy available on weekends, I do not have anything planned for the next coulple of months so let me know and I will try to mak it, the sooner I know the better.

Post imported post

November 16 Sunday meet and greet for lunch ?

Say in battle creek, kalamazoo, richland, area

Post imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
    November 16 Sunday meet and greet for lunch ?

Say in battle creek, kalamazoo, richland, area
    Deer gun season, many may be away from home.

Post imported post

an open carry picnic in grand haven would be interesting

Post imported post

Ferd wrote:

If I was still in Michigan, I would drive across the state to be there.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Venator,

Count me in for an event in the Traverse City area if the scheduling is right.

Post imported post

CaptBW wrote:
    Venator,

Count me in for an event in the Traverse City area if the scheduling is right.
    Me too.

Post imported post

Ferd wrote:

This might be a good idea for the spring. Those winds off of the lake can be brutal, and I think I've been hearing that the west coast of Mi has even been getting some snow lately. I think that picnic time has more or less passed for the season. My girlfriend is from the GR area and I always really liked Grand Haven. IIRC there is a nice little public access beach a couple of miles north of the lighthouse that might be a nice area. There's also some sort of nature area (state, county, not sure) right there that might be a nice place to go. It has some hiking trails that I've used before, and had a good time.

Post imported post

cmdio wrote:
    Ferd wrote:

This might be a good idea for the spring. Those winds off of the lake can be brutal, and I think I've been hearing that the west coast of Mi has even been getting some snow lately. I think that picnic time has more or less passed for the season. My girlfriend is from the GR area and I always really liked Grand Haven. IIRC there is a nice little public access beach a couple of miles north of the lighthouse that might be a nice area. There's also some sort of nature area (state, county, not sure) right there that might be a nice place to go. It has some hiking trails that I've used before, and had a good time.
    You know public libraries are nice places to meet and do research on Michigan Laws. And of course I have never had a problem with a McDonald's even when we had about 15 people OCing in a Flint one.

Not all get-togethers have to be outside. I bet many of you know or have a friend that knows an owner of a cafe or restaurant that would love the extra business on a slow winter weekend. Seek and yea shall find.

Post imported post

WishI was there! Born and raised Kalamazoo, joined Navy 23 yrs ago. Would live to move back when I retire next year.

Is MI as gun friendly as WA?
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

Well I OCed again today in wonderful Big Rapids, Mecosta County, with zero problems. Went to Bernie's Coffee Shoppe nobody noticed. When to Admiral on North end of town stood in line about 12 minutes without a problem. And I know the guy behind me was able to see my firearm, he stood "back" farther than most people normally do when he saw it. Other than that it was very uneventful.

starshooter231

Post imported post

starshooter231 wrote:
    Well I OCed again today in wonderful Big Rapids, Mecosta County, with zero problems.* Went to Bernie's Coffee Shoppe nobody noticed.* When to Admiral on North end of town stood in line about 12 minutes without a problem. And I know the guy behind me was able to see my firearm, he stood "back" farther than most people normally do when he saw it.* Other than that it was very uneventful.

starshooter231
    Glad to hear that went well, it usually does. Is this in the experiences thread? You should post it there as well.

Post imported post

I'd get together with you guys on the West side if I can swing the scheduling. I work three 12 hour shifts on the weekends so my social life in regards to the rest of the world is pretty limited. But with enough advanced notice I can usually swing something.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Mastiff69, Sir, I am also a resident of Battle Creek and am interested in all positive progun issues. I would very much like to meeet with anyone else in this area concerning these issues. Were this possable please reach me or reply to, farrell beach@gmail.com Looking forward to hearing from you.

Post imported post

birds wrote:
    Mastiff69, Sir, I am also a resident of Battle Creek and am interested in all positive progun issues. I would very much like to meeet with anyone else in this area concerning these issues. Were this possable please reach me or reply to, farrell beach@gmail.com Looking forward to hearing from you.

birds,

We ask that members put their location in their profiles on this board so that we can have an accurate count of how many members we have. It also helps to know where someone resides.

BOT:

I'm thinking that a great W. Michigan, MOC event would be for us to plan something in Grand Haven during next years Coast Guard Festival. I believe there was a member who was from Grand Haven who was talking about it earlier this year, but can't remember who that was. It's difficult for someone who isn't from the area to make plans. Now might be a bit too soon to start talking about it. Hopefully someone from that area will step up.

I might be willing to plan something in Grand Rapids, but since the weather is getting colder, and it's hunting season, I'd say it's going to have to wait until next year for me to get involved. I haven't seen the organizer of our last picnic (in GR) on these boards for quite some time, but he picked a great spot in John Ball Park, on a beautiful, sunny, summer afternoon, on July 12th.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ghlight=furner
    Just last week I ran into a member who attended the July 12th picnic, and he asked about the next one here. It might not be a bad idea to make it a annual event.

One problem with JBP is that the pavilions cost money to reserve, and for us to use them requires that reservation. I don't know about other parks as far as pavilion goes, but if we have a large turnout, it would be difficult to pack everyone into three or four tables.

I'm a little hesitant to plan something like this because I don't want to appear to be pushing a practice of which I don't partake of. Another problem is that I am always on call, and therefore not as reliable as I'd like to be for such an endeavor. However, IF no one else steps up, I'll see what I can do.

I think our goals for W. Michigan should be Battle Creek/Kalamazoo, a Grand Rapids annual, and the Coast Guard Festival. Something to understand is, these things will not happen if there is no one from those areas to step up to plan the event. At the Grand Rapids picnic, we only had three members from the Grand Rapids area. After that, the closest attendee's were from Battle Creek. Other members drove much further. I'm sure more people from the other side of the state would be willing to attend a GR M&G, and I'm sure many would LOVE to attend an event in Grand Haven during the Coast Guard Festival.

Tell you what. I'll start a thread seeking volunteers for the proposed events to see what kind of responses it gets.

If the three I proposed don't suit you, then plan one in your area, or start a feeler thread to see if there is enough interest. The Rugers Mr. and Mrs. planned an event with SQTables, and they were the only ones to show. That didn't stop them from having a good time.

Post imported post

Welcome to the board nice to hear from another Battle Creeker i will PM you shortly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast