• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there anything going on the west side of Michigan?

Shadows

imported post

I've noticed there isn't much chatter from people on the west side of the state. And was wondering if there was anything in the works.

Shadows

imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
What would you like to do ?

Breakfast

lunch

dinner

Go to a range, have OC get together, picnic BRRRR!;)

IAM OPEN TO MOST SUGGESTIONS:uhoh:
Go south for the winter? lol. . . no, just curious is there was anything going on the west side of the state. It seems everything's quiet on the western front. :cool:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Shadows wrote:
I've noticed there isn't much chatter from people on the west side of the state. And was wondering if there was anything in the works.
All it takes is one person to organize something over there. I know Skip Coryell would like to attend something in the Kazoo or GR area. I might make it to something over there as well. Whether you have 3 or 30 attend it's still fun. They had a GR event last summer and several people were there. I bet some of them would attend as well.

You don't have to have the press and all the other bells and whistles (did I say bells and whistle, God I'm pathetic.), just a nice lunch and a chance to meet some nice people. You talk and get to know each other and you plan for future events in your region. It's a starting point.

See this thread for some tips on planning an event. Propose a day and what you want to do....lunch at McDonald's, a shopping trip, a walk in a park, lawn bowling, cricket, whatever.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/16628.html

Shadows

imported post

Venator wrote:
All it takes is one person to organize something over there. I know Skip Coryell would like to attend something in the Kazoo or GR area. I might make it to something over there as well. Whether you have 3 or 30 attend it's still fun. They had a GR event last summer and several people were there. I bet some of them would attend as well.

You don't have to have the press and all the other bells and whistles (did I say bells and whistle, God I'm pathetic.), just a nice lunch and a chance to meet some nice people. You talk and get to know each other and you plan for future events in your region. It's a starting point.

See this thread for some tips on planning an event. Propose a day and what you want to do....lunch at McDonald's, a shopping trip, a walk in a park, lawn bowling, cricket, whatever

Thanks for the info, butI already know how to plan an event. AndI never was that interested in having any press around, they have a way of twisting what an event wasfor or even about.

But I'm not from Kazoo or Grand Rapids area. This is whyI was asking if anything was in the works. I can't plan for an area that I'm not familar with. Believe me, there's NOTHING worth seeing in my area. Unless you'd want to just go hunting.:lol:

Venator

imported post

Shadows wrote:
Thanks for the info, butI already know how to plan an event. AndI never was that interested in having any press around, they have a way of twisting what an event wasfor or even about.

But I'm not from Kazoo or Grand Rapids area. This is whyI was asking if anything was in the works. I can't plan for an area that I'm not familar with. Believe me, there's NOTHING worth seeing in my area. Unless you'd want to just go hunting.:lol:
Come on, you could meet in Greenville, Muskegon, Alma, I'm guessing you'll have to drive a bit, unless it's in your backyard:lol:.

I'm planning on having an event in Traverse City this spring/summer. I'm hoping to get more people from the northern counties involved. I want to cover the event map with red dots. So people step up and earn that red dot for your area.:celebrate

mastiff69

imported post

Good morning i was just looking at the amount of people in michigan and i know we could have a meeting i am going to pm alot of people on the west side !!!!!!!

Quarter horseman when are you available weekdays weekends ?

cmdio

imported post

Ferd wrote:
an open carry picnic in grand haven would be interesting
This might be a good idea for the spring. Those winds off of the lake can be brutal, and I think I've been hearing that the west coast of Mi has even been getting some snow lately. I think that picnic time has more or less passed for the season. My girlfriend is from the GR area and I always really liked Grand Haven. IIRC there is a nice little public access beach a couple of miles north of the lighthouse that might be a nice area. There's also some sort of nature area (state, county, not sure) right there that might be a nice place to go. It has some hiking trails that I've used before, and had a good time.

Venator

imported post

cmdio wrote:
Ferd wrote:
an open carry picnic in grand haven would be interesting
This might be a good idea for the spring. Those winds off of the lake can be brutal, and I think I've been hearing that the west coast of Mi has even been getting some snow lately. I think that picnic time has more or less passed for the season. My girlfriend is from the GR area and I always really liked Grand Haven. IIRC there is a nice little public access beach a couple of miles north of the lighthouse that might be a nice area. There's also some sort of nature area (state, county, not sure) right there that might be a nice place to go. It has some hiking trails that I've used before, and had a good time.
You know public libraries are nice places to meet and do research on Michigan Laws. And of course I have never had a problem with a McDonald's even when we had about 15 people OCing in a Flint one.

Not all get-togethers have to be outside. I bet many of you know or have a friend that knows an owner of a cafe or restaurant that would love the extra business on a slow winter weekend. Seek and yea shall find.

jbone

imported post

WishI was there! Born and raised Kalamazoo, joined Navy 23 yrs ago. Would live to move back when I retire next year.

Is MI as gun friendly as WA?

starshooter231

imported post

[align=left]Well I OCed again today in wonderful Big Rapids, Mecosta County, with zero problems. Went to Bernie's Coffee Shoppe nobody noticed. When to Admiral on North end of town stood in line about 12 minutes without a problem. And I know the guy behind me was able to see my firearm, he stood "back" farther than most people normally do when he saw it. Other than that it was very uneventful.

starshooter231
[/align]