• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there anything going on the west side of Michigan?

SQLtables

imported post

starshooter231 wrote:
[align=left]Well I OCed again today in wonderful Big Rapids, Mecosta County, with zero problems.  Went to Bernie's Coffee Shoppe nobody noticed.  When to Admiral on North end of town stood in line about 12 minutes without a problem. And I know the guy behind me was able to see my firearm, he stood "back" farther than most people normally do when he saw it.  Other than that it was very uneventful.

starshooter231
[/align]

Glad to hear that went well, it usually does. Is this in the experiences thread? You should post it there as well.

Bronson

imported post

I'd get together with you guys on the West side if I can swing the scheduling. I work three 12 hour shifts on the weekends so my social life in regards to the rest of the world is pretty limited. But with enough advanced notice I can usually swing something.

Bronson

birds

imported post

Mastiff69, Sir, I am also a resident of Battle Creek and am interested in all positive progun issues. I would very much like to meeet with anyone else in this area concerning these issues. Were this possable please reach me or reply to, farrell beach@gmail.com Looking forward to hearing from you.

ghostrider

imported post

birds wrote:
Mastiff69, Sir, I am also a resident of Battle Creek and am interested in all positive progun issues. I would very much like to meeet with anyone else in this area concerning these issues. Were this possable please reach me or reply to, farrell beach@gmail.com Looking forward to hearing from you.
birds,

We ask that members put their location in their profiles on this board so that we can have an accurate count of how many members we have. It also helps to know where someone resides.

BOT:

I'm thinking that a great W. Michigan, MOC event would be for us to plan something in Grand Haven during next years Coast Guard Festival. I believe there was a member who was from Grand Haven who was talking about it earlier this year, but can't remember who that was. It's difficult for someone who isn't from the area to make plans. Now might be a bit too soon to start talking about it. Hopefully someone from that area will step up.

I might be willing to plan something in Grand Rapids, but since the weather is getting colder, and it's hunting season, I'd say it's going to have to wait until next year for me to get involved. I haven't seen the organizer of our last picnic (in GR) on these boards for quite some time, but he picked a great spot in John Ball Park, on a beautiful, sunny, summer afternoon, on July 12th.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=12553&forum_id=30&highlight=furner
Just last week I ran into a member who attended the July 12th picnic, and he asked about the next one here. It might not be a bad idea to make it a annual event.

One problem with JBP is that the pavilions cost money to reserve, and for us to use them requires that reservation. I don't know about other parks as far as pavilion goes, but if we have a large turnout, it would be difficult to pack everyone into three or four tables.

I'm a little hesitant to plan something like this because I don't want to appear to be pushing a practice of which I don't partake of. Another problem is that I am always on call, and therefore not as reliable as I'd like to be for such an endeavor. However, IF no one else steps up, I'll see what I can do.

I think our goals for W. Michigan should be Battle Creek/Kalamazoo, a Grand Rapids annual, and the Coast Guard Festival. Something to understand is, these things will not happen if there is no one from those areas to step up to plan the event. At the Grand Rapids picnic, we only had three members from the Grand Rapids area. After that, the closest attendee's were from Battle Creek. Other members drove much further. I'm sure more people from the other side of the state would be willing to attend a GR M&G, and I'm sure many would LOVE to attend an event in Grand Haven during the Coast Guard Festival.

Tell you what. I'll start a thread seeking volunteers for the proposed events to see what kind of responses it gets.

If the three I proposed don't suit you, then plan one in your area, or start a feeler thread to see if there is enough interest. The Rugers Mr. and Mrs. planned an event with SQTables, and they were the only ones to show. That didn't stop them from having a good time.

SQLtables

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
birds wrote:
birds,

We ask that members put their location in their profiles on this board so that we can have an accurate count of how many members we have. It also helps to know where someone resides.

BOT:

I'm thinking that a great W. Michigan, MOC event would be for us to plan something in Grand Haven during next years Coast Guard Festival. I believe there was a member who was from Grand Haven who was talking about it earlier this year, but can't remember who that was. It's difficult for someone who isn't from the area to make plans. Now might be a bit too soon to start talking about it. Hopefully someone from that area will step up.

I might be willing to plan something in Grand Rapids, but since the weather is getting colder, and it's hunting season, I'd say it's going to have to wait until next year for me to get involved. I haven't seen the organizer of our last picnic (in GR) on these boards for quite some time, but he picked a great spot in John Ball Park, on a beautiful, sunny, summer afternoon, on July 12th.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=12553&forum_id=30&highlight=furner
Just last week I ran into a member who attended the July 12th picnic, and he asked about the next one here. It might not be a bad idea to make it a annual event.

One problem with JBP is that the pavilions cost money to reserve, and for us to use them requires that reservation. I don't know about other parks as far as pavilion goes, but if we have a large turnout, it would be difficult to pack everyone into three or four tables.

I'm a little hesitant to plan something like this because I don't want to appear to be pushing a practice of which I don't partake of. Another problem is that I am always on call, and therefore not as reliable as I'd like to be for such an endeavor. However, IF no one else steps up, I'll see what I can do.

I think our goals for W. Michigan should be Battle Creek/Kalamazoo, a Grand Rapids annual, and the Coast Guard Festival. Something to understand is, these things will not happen if there is no one from those areas to step up to plan the event. At the Grand Rapids picnic, we only had three members from the Grand Rapids area. After that, the closest attendee's were from Battle Creek. Other members drove much further. I'm sure more people from the other side of the state would be willing to attend a GR M&G, and I'm sure many would LOVE to attend an event in Grand Haven during the Coast Guard Festival.

Tell you what. I'll start a thread seeking volunteers for the proposed events to see what kind of responses it gets.

If the three I proposed don't suit you, then plan one in your area, or start a feeler thread to see if there is enough interest. The Rugers Mr. and Mrs. planned an event with SQTables, and they were the only ones to show. That didn't stop them from having a good time.

In fairness, it was last minute, and in response to the local PD. It also probably wouldn't have been a good event to try out OC for the first time ;)

You were right on with this post though. I would be likely to show up at any of those places with enough warning.

mastiff69

imported post

We had a information meeting over on the east side (SEE posts) and filled the coffee house up with interested people many that i have never seen before.

They were there to gather info on there rights as michigan law states, and AG opinions... The meeting was great and all went well and i dare say, that 80 percent of the people were Open carrying inside the coffee house and on the street with ZERO problems......:celebrate

Ps the wife & I road our Goldwing & trailer 108 miles each way to attend and on the way home stopped at Cabella's, It was a 50 degree day, and itrained:( on the way home but was well worth the time