• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harrington and Richardson Arms Company

CrossFire

imported post

I have recently had a friend ask me to determine if this is a safe firearm in as much as it was left to him by his father. Anyone know anything about these? It is a 9 shot 22 CAL LR.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have no experience with these firearms but they have made a considerable number of different models of handguns and rifles. H&R 1871,INC., Gardner, Mass. suspended operations in 1986 and was acquired by Marlin Firearms Company in 1999. This according to my 24th edition Gun Trader's Guide.

I'm assuming this is a hand gun. Got a model #?

Evil Ernie

imported post

The name struck me as one of the M1 Garand Manufacturers.
From Wiki:

H&R built flare guns during World War I, and a variety of firearms including the M1 Garand After World War II during the Korean Conflict, from early 1953 to early 1956. Later they went on to be the largest producer of M14 rifles as well as a large number of M16A1 rifles.[1]

With this pedigree, it should be a good rifle.
[/sup]

PT111

imported post

I have a H&R 9 shot 22. It is a fine gun as far as safety goes as long as it is in good shape. Great little plinker and not a Saturday Night Special if that is what you are concerned about. It is not a safe queen collector type gun but no real problems with it.

CrossFire

imported post

Thanks for the information. I guess I should have been more descriptive, it is a pistol,it hasSportsman Double Action engraved on the barrel.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Model 999 Sportsman DA revolver first issue (non vent ribbarrel) was discontinued before 1942. The second issue (w/vent rib) was made 1950-86. The (New) Model 999 Sportsman DA revolver (w/vent rib) was introduced in 1992.

Sorry this doesn't address your question about safety, but they do seem to have a good reputation from what I can gather.

hp-hobo

imported post

H&R's are well designed, well built, long lasting and fine shooting revolvers. They don't seem to have the collectability of Colts and S&W's (yet), which helps to keep prices down.

If you want further infoon your particular gun, you can contact Bill Goforth (Google is your friend) directly or you can also find him on several general gun forums. He is a recognized expert on Iver Johnson andH&R firearms, and is extremely helpful as well. You may also find his soon to be released book interesting.

http://www.geocities.com/iverjohnsoncollector/index.htm

As long as it is in mechanically sound condition, tell your friend to have fun shooting his new (to him) H&R. Mine's a blast.

CrossFire

imported post

cccook wrote:
The Model 999 Sportsman DA revolver first issue (non vent ribbarrel) was discontinued before 1942. The second issue (w/vent rib) was made 1950-86. The (New) Model 999 Sportsman DA revolver (w/vent rib) was introduced in 1992.

Sorry this doesn't address your question about safety, but they do seem to have a good reputation from what I can gather.

This pistol does not have a vent rib barrel so I guess it is pre 1942. It appears to be in good shape for it's age. Does anyone know what the little lever behind the trigger does?

hp-hobo

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
This pistol does not have a vent rib barrel so I guess it is pre 1942. It appears to be in good shape for it's age. Does anyone know what the little lever behind the trigger does?
It's a passive safety. The hammer won't drop unless the trigger is pulled all the way back making contact with it.

PT111

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
CrossFire wrote:
It's a passive safety. The hammer won't drop unless the trigger is pulled all the way back making contact with it.
Actually on my H&R the hammer will drop but until that little lever is pressed it won't fire. The lever raises the firing bar up between the hammer and firing pin to allow the firing pin to be pressed. If you notice the Hammer has a knotch below the top of the hammer that works as a pasive safety. I think the H&R was the first with the passive safety on revolvers but may wrong on that.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
This pistol does not have a vent rib barrel so I guess it is pre 1942. It appears to be in good shape for it's age.
Sweet. I like old guns. Makes me feel like I'm holding a part of history in my hands.

GWbiker

imported post

H&R built flare guns during World War I, and a variety of firearms including the M1 Garand After World War II during the Korean Conflict, from early 1953 to early 1956. Later they went on to be the largest producer of M14 rifles as well as a large number of M16A1 rifles.

Upon my return to the land of the big PX, (USA), in 1959 I was issued a new H&R M1 Garand. I fired it several times and found it more accurate than the worn out Springfield Garand I used in Korea.

As I was being discharged from active duty in 1961, I was asked if I was interested in the purchase of my H&R Garand for $63 USD.

I declined the offer......:banghead:

tripledipper

imported post

GW, you brought back some memories, including the notorious M-1 thumb and sawsome split lips as wellin Basic. Once settled in Germany,was issued theM-1 carbine. That was fun to shoot. They bothwere still in use at the beginning of Nam.

ClevelandCarry

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I bought my second Garand from the CMP I specified a H&R, as they tended have a somewhat overall better fit and finish on their Garands due to their reputation in the gun business at that time. (1950's.)