• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT-What are the true differences between a CETME and a G3?

Derka

imported post

I know little more than that the G3 was based off of the CETME (according to some reports). From what I understand, they are both reliable and accurate riflesand fire a.308 round. Where there any real design changes between the two or were they both made like AKs are, with no major changes in design but countries feel the need to make their own?

just_a_car

imported post

There is no "according to"... that is historical fact.

I don't plan on sitting here and writing it all out, but you can find a lot of info online.

The same engineers that made the CETME moved back to Germany to join H&K and develop the G3. There are so many similarities that there is a short list of parts that don't swap and a VERY long list of ones that do.

I highly suggest jumping over and joining me on the G3/CETME forum on G&G: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/g3-cetme/ since this has nothing to do with Open Carry in Washington State... unless you plan on OC'ing it (don't knock it, I've done it from my house to my car... :cool:)

aktion

imported post

If you haven't heard of the PTR-91, take a look at it. Built here in the USA on original HK tooling by way of the Portuguese government. I've heard far more positives than negatives; even heard some HK die-hards call them better than the originals.

FYI, the G3 name refers specifically to the military model, with select fire. The civilian semi auto only model was the HK-91, of which the PTR-91 is a clone. Fully interchangeable with original HK parts. The words getting out though, as they can be had in the 1000-1300 FRN range, as opposed to 1900 and up for an authentic used HK.

bluer1

imported post

I've got a PTR, It's awesome. WAY more accurate than the HK.

Derka

imported post

since this has nothing to do with Open Carry in Washington State...
Hey, I said it was off topic, thank you for the info though. Unfortunatelythe G&Gforum is blocked from my work computer, while this one is not. I try not to ask questions about things that I can find out myself. Spending 10+ hours a day in front of a computer that blocks 90% of things firearms related isn't exactly conducive to research. Most of the day, this is what it feels like ->:banghead:.

If you haven't heard of the PTR-91, take a look at it.
I haven't heard of it, and I will be taking a look at it. 1000-1300 FRNs sounds like a real good deal for a quality rifle to me. Thanks much.

just_a_car

imported post

Derka wrote:
If you haven't heard of the PTR-91, take a look at it.
I haven't heard of it, and I will be taking a look at it. 1000-1300 FRNs sounds like a real good deal for a quality rifle to me. Thanks much.
...until you look at the going price of a CETME: $550-650

But, I will admit that some CETMEs were put together poorly by Century... but that's the case with almost all of CAI's stuff: AK's, Mosins, SKS's, etc. You just have to know how to check out the specific firearm you're buying to make sure it's good-to-go.

compmanio365

imported post

Hmm, hearing all this about the CETME makes me think I want one here....have an AK, now maybe one of these......that way both the wife and I will have a rifle to use when the time comes to water the tree of liberty (I fear that time is soon at hand....).

zoom6zoom

imported post

I really need a PTR-91. I have a .22 conversion kit that will fit it but won't work in my CETME. Biggest drawback to either the G3 types or the CETMEs is the cost of .308!