• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol for daughters B-day

olypendrew

imported post

Although I've never shot one, I would seriously consider a .327 Magnum, probably in a Ruger SP101 due to their heavier weight. Then she could shoot much lighter loads to get used to the gun, and move up to the full power as she became comfortable. With a 3" barrel, this would be a good all around gun, for home, purse carry around town, or on a belt holster for trail use.

Bear 45/70

imported post

IMO the calibers you mentioned, ".380,.25 ,.32 something of that nature." are just not enough gun for anyone's defense. My wife is less than 5'6" and shoots 45 ACP regularlyand carries a 44 SPL for self defense. Woman can shoot the bigger and better for S.D. calibers if properly trained. But mouse guns are not the answer. 9mm should be the minimum you consider. As to what gun, you need to take her to a range than rents guns and let her choice which one she likes best. You choosing for her is not a good way to go. Women has a lot different requirements than men when it comes to guns. This I know thisfrom learning the hard way, the ones I chose are all gone and the ones she chose are still here.

shad0wfax

imported post

Given the OP's response I'm inclined to agree with olypendrew: go to a range that will allow her to test-fire a Ruger SP101 with the 3-1/16" barrel chambered in .327 Federal Magnum and see how she likes it.

I wish I had fired one, so I could recommend it personally, but I haven't so I can only suggest it. (You never know, she might be ok with a J-frame 3" in .357 magnum if it has nice grips.)

I don't know if reloading equipment is available for the .327 yet, so if you handload, the .357 would be a better choice because you can shoot factory .38 special +P or +P+ ammunition or handload lighter .357 loads for her. I don't think you'd need to use reduced loads in the .327, from what I've read.

Marco

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
I don't know if reloading equipment is available for the .327 yet, so if you handload, the .357 would be a better choice because you can shoot factory .38 special +P or +P+ ammunition or handload lighter .357 loads for her. I don't think you'd need to use reduced loads in the .327, from what I've read.
The .327 magnum can be reloaded.
It is a longer/stronger .32 H&R magnum casing.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/327_federal.htm
There is plenty of info out there about this new loading.

John Hardin

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Take her to Mary's Pistols and let her try a few on. She may also appriciate Mary's [female] input as well.
+1. You don't, after all, need to present her with the gun on her birthday. Write up a nice certificate that says "redeemable for handgun shopping and shooting with your dad, and whichever one you decide you like the best" and give her that on her birthday. :)

G27

imported post

Ruger LCP, anyone? That is, if you could find one... :D Again, the best bet is to take her to a range and find out what she is comfortable with. Sure it loses the surprise factor, but she already told you what she wants, so now you just have to find her one that suites her. :)

DEROS72

imported post

Mr. Hardin thats a good idea .In fact we are going to the range later next week and let her get a feel for some of these.

adamsesq

imported post

G27 wrote:
Ruger LCP, anyone? That is, if you could find one... :D Again, the best bet is to take her to a range and find out what she is comfortable with. Sure it loses the surprise factor, but she already told you what she wants, so now you just have to find her one that suites her. :)

They are all being sent back fora safety recall. You'd have better luck with the original, the Kel-Tec P3AT.

-adamsesq (who is BIG on the gift certificate idea)

DEROS72

imported post

Is it the Ruger's that have been recalled? I was looking at a Wather also pretty nice little pistol.As I do want to take her to the range her b-day is the 22nd and would still like to surprise herwith one.You have all given me some outstanding info and will consider all.I'll certainly let you know and post a pic of my choice when I get it.

Here is a pic of my little girl, she was doing a promo with the Seahawks and had a pic with Marcus Trufant.She is the Branch manager for the Enumclaw Wamu/Chase and is gun friendly.I told her if anyone comes in with a properly carried sidearm it would be one of you guys. Go see her If your'e looking for a bank out that way. But alas the wise one will claim its not my daughter and thats not really Marcus Trufant........lol

DEROS72

imported post

Another thing with her is I have to get her out to get her CPL application done.She can be a little bit of a procrastinator on stuff like that.In Orting does anyone know where one would go for that?..Does Orting have a police dept?

joeroket

imported post

According to thier website they do.

City of Orting Police Department
120 Washington Ave N
Orting, WA 98360
893-3111
Chief of Police: William Drake

Might be easier to go to the county though.

DEROS72

imported post

Thanks.Why would county be easier.?Would that expidite the process at all?

joeroket

imported post

I think it probably would be easier because Orting is so danged small and the process at the county would go smoother. I guess a call to Orting PD would sort it out for sure.

Alexcabbie

imported post

For a young lady of your daughter's build I would recommend a 3" .38 revolver with +p hollowpoints for defense purposes. I hate lightweight pistols and besides in a defense situation the feeling of solidity and heft can inspire confidence in the weapon. Revolvers do not jam and there is no safety to fumble with. And especially for a young lady there is no substitute for absolute no-doubt reliability; and IMO only a revolver can provide that.

By the way I don't think Obama is going to get elected, and I am going ton spend a couple days in the St. Clairsville OH / Wheeling WVa area after I vote so as to avoid the riots that will probablyn ensue when McCain is announced the victor.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

For Xmas last year I bought my sister (23 years old at the time) a Taurus .357 Magnum, model 650

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=267&category=Revolver

Pretty much exactly the gun pictured here. I went with the blued rather than chrome for the easier concealment. Like with the internal hammer- being that she carries it concealed nearly always and often in her purse, I didn't want it to have prottrusions which would easily catch on anything (yes, in a holster even in the purse).

It has the benefit that we could practice with .38 rounds, more cheaply and to train away any flinching (still need to put more rounds downrange, she likes to shoot a LOT but doesn't go much without me) before going to the .357 loads for self defense.

She carries it all the time, and has holsters for OC< but tends to cover it with a jacket at least (she has a fairly slight frame).