• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

EASY PISTOL DETAIL

CaptainDan

imported post

This is super easy to do , looks good and is cheap.

I saw one done in red also, red was too dark for me as you can see I used yellow. Simply heat up slide (remove slide first of course) using a butane type lighter heat slide, take CRAYON , yes crayon and rub over any engraving using light force. The wax melts into the grooves and glides in quite easily. I saw this at the range and also saw it on other sites on the web. I was skeptical as to the lenght of time the wax would stay as my pistol heated up during use but was assured it was perminant. Aftef 300 rounds in my own pistol the detailing is indeed perminant.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Looks good. There were lots of guys on XDtalk who did that with the crayon. It stayed pretty well for quite a while but is not exactly permanent from what they said. One guy removed it by stripping the slide, heating it up in an oven a bit and then using q-tips and some of that candle wax removing stuff to eliminate it entirely. There were also a few who did the fingernail polish route. All of it can be removed fairly easily if you need or want to which makes it a nice, reversible touch as opposed to dura-coating for example.

M

mdgary

imported post

Looks good, May try that on my M&P.40..Thanks

But, If you are concerned about the wax melting you could try a more permanent solutionsuch asengine paint , Which is rated at over 500 degrees and comes in several different colors.

soloban

imported post

That looks slick. I'm thinking about getting an AR-15 at some point and plan on doing the Red/White with the safety positions using that method.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Would not a good thorough solvent cleaning remove either the wax crayon or the fingernail polish?

I have used model paint to fill in letter/number details on automobile emblems from the sixties and seventies. Can you say 455HO.

Yata hey

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I usually like to apply a carbon fade to the muzzle. I think that looks good, but it does come off when I clean her. :D

CaptainDan

imported post

It hasn't come off yet , I haven't scrubbed the outside of the slide with solvent but after cleaning I have wiped the outside of the slide and it hasn't come off.

If it does though, it's just wax. If after half a dozen cleanings or so it comes off it's easy to re-do and only takes a fwe minutes. Maybe a different color next time?

It isn't perminant (allthough it has been so far) It just looks sharp , very easy to do , and easy to remove if you get tired of it (warm up slide remove with toothpick)

Not to mention a super cheap way to make your prized piece stand out at the range.

squisher

imported post

This gives me an idea...

:monkey

Stainless slide w/ red detail? Maybe even red/white/blue:celebrate

muahaha! I'll post pics once I figure out what I want to do...

ETA:
Looks nice!

squisher

imported post

Well, I attempted some of the same, but apparently the marks in the slide aren't deep enough to properly contain the wax, and I would rather not use paint.

Oh well.

Props on yours though, I still think it's neat.

Carnivore

imported post

Go with a paint marker, looks like a permanant marker usually in a craft supply isle at wallyworld, several of my guns are done in red, and one inparticular is an 1100 12ga magnum that has been in place for nearly 20 years, all kinds of duck / turkey/ and slugs through this shotgun and tons of cleaning sessions and all still intact..

wipe away all excess oil with alcohol and toothbrush to insure all tiny crevasses are free from oil, them get yourwork surfaceas hot as you possibly can with a hairdryer, then put the paint to her and wipe away the excess.. lots of awesome colors to choose from, can also be done in phosphorescent(spellchk) paint, glows in the dark, makes for neat enhancements of fine detail..

Dustin

imported post

squisher wrote:
Stainless slide w/ red detail? Maybe even red/white/blue:celebrate

muahaha! I'll post pics once I figure out what I want to do...

ETA:
Looks nice!

I got the Bi-Tone XDM, so I'll look into this tonight :D

Might do a Red/White/Blue combo too :cool:

squisher

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Go with a paint marker, looks like a permanant marker usually in a craft supply isle at wallyworld, several of my guns are done in red, and one inparticular is an 1100 12ga magnum that has been in place for nearly 20 years, all kinds of duck / turkey/ and slugs through this shotgun and tons of cleaning sessions and all still intact..

wipe away all excess oil with alcohol and toothbrush to insure all tiny crevasses are free from oil, them get yourwork surfaceas hot as you possibly can with a hairdryer, then put the paint to her and wipe away the excess.. lots of awesome colors to choose from, can also be done in phosphorescent(spellchk) paint, glows in the dark, makes for neat enhancements of fine detail..
Thanks for the tip!

I will be trying this trick soon, having failed in my wax attempt :)

I think I'll tape off some of the more tough to clean portions of the slide though before trying this.

Carnivore

imported post

I don't know if you can zoom this or not, I'm having printer probs. and can't get in to edit pics. but the red on this shotgun has been in place for right at 20 years.

DSCF0093.jpg