• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calif. man killed by police in mistaken identity

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D943TF4O0&show_article=1&catnum=1

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - A newlywed killed by police after he stepped outside his home to confront suspected burglars was shot in a case of mistaken identity, police said. Julian Alexander died after being shot twice in the chest by a police officer who was chasing four burglary suspects early Tuesday morning.
Police Chief John Welter said the officer ran into Alexander, mistook him for one of the four juvenile suspects and shot him.
"The last thing we ever want to do, No. 1, (is) take somebody's life," he said. "And we certainly don't want to take the life of someone who is mistakenly believed to be involved in some criminal activity."
"He was a good kid, trying to protect his house," said Alexander's mother, Michelle Mooney. "And the police, instead of asking questions, they just shot first. Somebody has to be held responsible for this."
Welter would not release the officer's name, but said he was a 10-year veteran of the department. The officer was placed on paid leave pending an investigation.
"It's mistaken identity, but that doesn't bring my son back," said Alexander's father Jerry.
He said Alexander got married last weekend and his 19-year-old wife is expecting a baby in December.
Alexander's wife and mother said they heard the gunshots and tried to go into the yard, but the officer told them to stay inside. They saw Alexander handcuffed and bleeding in the front yard, they said.
Paramedics treated him at the scene and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The four burglary suspects were detained and interviewed, but no arrests were made.
Welter said investigators would interview the officer to determine what commands he gave to Alexander before he fired. Investigations will be conducted by the FBI, the Orange County Office of Independent Review and the district attorney's office, Welter said.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How about charging the suspects with the murder as well, they lured the leo
to the crime, and therefor are just as responsible for the shooting.

Why would you go outside to confront, when you can't use castle doctrine as
easily? Wait inside, and take them out on the door step.

Paul Volk

imported post

Damn shame. My condolences to the victim's family.

It' too bad Julian Alexander wasn't familiar with proper procedure on what to do when suspected burglars are in the area.

demnogis

imported post

This is in my area, too. What the crap is with irresponsible people shooting first, asking questions later? When all the cards are laid down on the table, I hope those responsible are given their proper sentance. No innocent man should be shot dead, nor shot just for being suspected.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"Out here, due process is a bullet!"~ John Wayne.

Tragic, very sad. My condolences to the family.

shad0wfax

imported post

"The four burglary suspects were detained and interviewed, but no arrests were made."

Executive Summary: Cop shoots good guy, lets 4 perps go free.

I smell a very large civil suit in the making...