• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry on Election day?

Mayday

imported post

I live in Old Town Alexandria and can walk to my polling place and usually carry something with me -- mostly openly. Wondering if there are any regulations against open carry when I go to vote on Tuesday?

vt357

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Where do you vote?

My place is an Elementary School, so its a no go.
Me too. I used to vote at a fire station - now it's a pain in the butt to have everything locked up and secured just to get out of the car to vote.

Thundar

imported post

Mayday wrote:
I live in Old Town Alexandria and can walk to my polling place and usually carry something with me -- mostly openly. Wondering if there are any regulations against open carry when I go to vote on Tuesday?
There are no prohibitions for polling places, but the normal prohibitions for schools do apply.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

But only when normal school activities are in session according to Virginia state law. So if you wait until after the school is finished with its classes and is not conducting any other types of school-related activities, it is my understanding you are fine to carry.

"A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. "

If I am in error with this, please let me know and why.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy,

Paragraph A of § 18.2-308.1 you referenced does not cover firearms

Paragraph B of § 18.2-308.1 does cover firearms.
B. If any person possesses any firearm...while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds...he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony....

Decoligny

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
But only when normal school activities are in session according to Virginia state law. So if you wait until after the school is finished with its classes and is not conducting any other types of school-related activities, it is my understanding you are fine to carry.

"A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. "

You are in error. For starters, it clearly states: "other than a firearm" so this section doesn't deal with guns.

Secondly, even if it did relate to guns, (a), (b), and (c) are each independent of each other (seperated by a semi-colon, not a comma)and must be taken seperately, so a school is always a school.

Example:

"A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; uponthe property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. "

"A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; uponthat portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. "

"A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. "

VApatriot

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

That only applies to subsection (b).There areno exceptionsthat allow you to carry at any time at (a) or (c).

SouthernBoy

imported post

I just read section B and it has much the same wording as A except for the fact that it addresses firearms. Should say there is a technical error in it. Firearms do NOT expel a projectile by the action of an explosion. The powder in a metallic cartridge does not explode. As we all know, it burns. So they have an error here that could be tested in court.. I wonder if it ever has been tested.

Anyway here is section B from 18.2-308.1;

"B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony; however, if the person possesses any firearm within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence. "

Once again, it mentions "while such functions or activities are taking place". So based upon this, it seems that as long as school is not in session and there are no school related activities taking place, one can carry a firearm onto school premises.

Gentlemen, if I am missing something here, feel free to correct me.

VApatriot

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I just read section B and it has much the same wording as A except for the fact that it addresses firearms. Should say there is a technical error in it. Firearms do NOT expel a projectile by the action of an explosion. The powder in a metallic cartridge does not explode. As we all know, it burns. So they have an error here that could be tested in court.. I wonder if it ever has been tested.

"B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony; however, if the person possesses any firearm within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence. "

Once again, it mentions "while such functions or activities are taking place". So based upon this, it seems that as long as school is not in session and there are no school related activities taking place, one can carry a firearm onto school premises.

OK.You havethe right section now, but my point is the same as above. The exceptiononly applies tosection (ii), and you still may not carry at any time while on (i) or (iii).

SouthernBoy

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

OK.You havethe right section now, but my point is the same as above. The exceptiononly applies tosection (ii), and you still may not carry at any time while on (i) or (iii).
Thank you VApatriot for your response and forcing me to reread the sections again. I'll just play it safe and leave my little friend at home since my voting site is a school.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Thank you VApatriot for your response and forcing me to reread the sections again. I'll just play it safe and leave my little friend at home since my voting site is a school.
Since I vote in a school, and therefore am unarmed, I use my conceal carry permit as government-issued ID, though.

Got a "why'd ya have to go and do that" look last time, but that's all. Nothing said - not that there was anything to say.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tess wrote:
I use my conceal carry permit as government-issued ID
Acceptable forms of identification include the following:

• Virginia voter identification card
  • Valid Virginia driver's license
  • Military ID
  • Any Federal, state or local government-issued ID
  • Employer issued photo ID card
  • Social Security card
Any voter who forgets to bring acceptable ID to the polls may still vote but, will be requested to sign, under oath, an Affirmation of Identity form affirming that he/she is the voter he/she claims to be. A voter who requires assistance to vote by reason of physical disability or an inability to read or write may, if he so requests, also be assisted in completing this statement.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Tess wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Since I vote in a school, and therefore am unarmed, I use my conceal carry permit as government-issued ID, though.

Got a "why'd ya have to go and do that" look last time, but that's all. Nothing said - not that there was anything to say.
I like the idea. I'm doing that when I vote at the middle school I attended 10 yrs ago :D

EDIT: Ok, Ed posted and now has me thinking that's not acceptable. I have my DL too, so no big deal...