• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to shoot?

kwmayo

imported post

Weird story, so I'd appreciate any experience you all have with this, if any.

My brother just turned 18, and really loves target shooting. So he took a couple of my mom's handguns to the NRA Range in Fairfax, and they told him he was legally not allowed to shoot there (without an 'adult') until he was 21.

I know this is in direct contradiction to VA Code, but I'm looking for feedback. Anyone had an experience like this before? I'd drive up there tonight and chat with them, but I'm currently stationed in Ohio :(.

Also, anyone have the code handy that states, or should I say doesnt state that an 18 year old can carry/own/shoot a handgun?

Thanks all in advance.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Per NRA Range Fees webpage, the price for "Shooters under the age of 18 sharing a lane with an adult - free." That suggests 18 is an adult to use the range. However, I have nothing to affirm or contradict that. The NRA Range webpages say to contact nrarangeadmin@nrahq.org for questions or more information.

Unfortunately, state law and/or federal law won't help you. The NRA range is private property. They can establish whatever usage rules they want so long as they don't violate civil rights (race, creed, color, sex, etc). Unfortunately, 18 to 21yo's are a discriminated and disenfranchised group. They can vote and be sent to war but are prohibited from other adult franchises.

kwmayo

imported post

Yeah, I understand they might have policy, and that's fine (though I still have a problem with it even though I cant do much about it).

However, they cited law (US or state, not sure which), not NRA policy, so I'm looking to contradict that.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had some problems with one of their range personnel telling me thatI had to have shot in an IDPA/IPSC match before I could shoot in one at the NRA Range. I fired off a quick email to the Range manager there (find the range email addy on the NRA home page). I got a very quick response telling me that that was not true. I was welcome to shoot in an IDPA/IPSC match there any time they had one.

So, I suggest you do the same thing. Fire off an email to them and ask them what is up with that. Hopefully, your bro got a name but that doesn't really matter. Funny, at 18 you can vote, at 18 you can join the armed forces (without mommy's signature), at 18 you can own a firearm, but you can't shoot at the NRA Range. Again, contact the NRA Range manager. I don't have her email addy at home, her card is at my office.

Edit to correct grammar.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I think you have to be 21 or be with someone 21+. Bullseye Brookie is 11 next month and she OC's to and from the range (unloaded) and shoots at the NRA all the time (in fact we are going tomorrow night). Most rangemasters know her and her pink pistol by now. She did the range questions by herself and is both an NRA and VCDL member.

nova

imported post

If you check out almost any other indoor range in the area, you'll find the same 'rule'...either be 21, or be there with someone 21. Sucks, I know, but I just go with my brother or other family member/friends.

eyesopened

imported post

I was just there this weekend and they do have that 21 rule. All the other ranges I've been to you have to be at least 21 if shooting by yourself, or have someone in your party at least 21 if you're under that age. I believe it is more to do with insuarance reasons than anything else. Also ranges will not be able to sell ammo to you if under 21. I'm not sure if they differentiate between "pistol" ammo and "rifle" ammo.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I always OC on my way in and they just let me shoot. Shhhh it will be our little secret. The first time I went to shoot they wouldn't let me, but that didn't stop me from trying again lol I go all the time now and never have had an issue with them besides that first time. I have the blue range card and just walk in and give it to them and tell them I am shooting pistol and rifle. No one says a word to me now:lol: You must bring your own ammo though as you must be 21 to purchase handgun ammo per federal law:cry: I am 20 next week btw

marine2000

imported post

Well.....

First of all you have to be 21 to purchase ammo. All Range(s) do sell Ammo ..However in order to first purchase them...you have to be 21 and therefore you are not allowed in any range at all untill you are 21......

Federal Law...!!!!!!

marine2000

eyesopened

imported post

AbNo wrote:
What is "handgun ammo"?
haha, yeah I know it doesn't make sense huh! When I buy .22 ammo from Walmart, they ask me if it's for a handgun or a rifle. If I say it's for a handgun, they verify if I'm 21. If I say it's for a rifle, they don't really care. It's the same bullet, can be shot out of different guns but they have to ID me differently :banghead::lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Range age requirements may also be a as a direct result of wording in their liability insurance policy - similar clause to what some have with their auto insurance.

Yata hey

kwmayo

imported post

I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to e-mail and ask for the written policy. If it is insurance reasons, I'm further going to ask why they dont ID everyone who looks like they could be under 21. They didnt have a problem with me getting a regular membership when I was 19....

Thanks again.

Marco

imported post

For my 18th B-day I treated myself to a Savage 24V rifle ( .357 mag over 20ga) which I purchased from Big 5.
After taking the rifle to the carI realized I didn't have any ammo, soI headed back into the store.
I approached the same clerk and asked for two boxes of 12ga shells and a box of .38spl and .357 mag, the clerk stated "I could sell you the shells but not the bullets they are handgun ammo."
I looked at him confused then went to the car retrieved the rifle and said I would like those bullets and statedI had just purchased this and it wasn't a handgun.
I got my bullets.
I still have that rifle.:D

nova

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
For my 18th B-day I treated myself to a Savage 24V rifle ( .357 mag over 20ga) which I purchased from Big 5.
After taking the rifle to the carI realized I didn't have any ammo, soI headed back into the store.
I approached the same clerk and asked for two boxes of 12ga shells and a box of .38spl and .357 mag, the clerk stated "I could sell you the shells but not the bullets they are handgun ammo."
I looked at him confused then went to the car retrieved the rifle and said I would like those bullets and statedI had just purchased this and it wasn't a handgun.
I got my bullets.
I still have that rifle.:D
I was talking to the ammo counter guy at the Fair Lakes wally world, who is into shooting. I asked him whether they would sell to a person 18 if the 9mm was for a carbine, he said their register automatically prompts for age 21 confirmation for 9mm unlike the .22lr which asks whether it's for a pistol or rifle. He said legally he can do it but the wal-mart register can't do it. I've heard of other walmarts selling pistol ammo to those under 21 who say it's for a rifle, guess the system in this walmart was different. Good guy behind the counter though, he knows his gun stuff!

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I went to the Dulles wally world to try and get some 9mm. The woman had no idea what a carbine even was and would not sell me the 9mm because I was not 21. I argued a little then she got red in the face:p I just let it go and I get my dad or roommate to buy me the 9mm all the time now because I go through 100-150rds of it per week. I hate being 19(20 next Wednesday) I can't wait till next year!!!!