• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to shoot?

nova

imported post

I have another 1/2 year more to wait than you :?

Some time I'll have to try it at Dicks and see what their reaction is.

It doesn't really affect me too muchas I have a nice stockpile of ammo I have access to at home...:)

nova

imported post

Next time they ask you "rife or pistol" you should say "machinegun" to see the priceless look they give you! :lol:

VAopencarry

imported post

The NRA range people are wrong. Policy, yes, legally, no.

They were probably told no one under 21 can shoot a handgun there and translated that to think it's the law.

VAopencarry

imported post

marine2000 wrote:
Well.....

First of all you have to be 21 to purchase ammo. All Range(s) do sell Ammo ..However in order to first purchase them...you have to be 21 and therefore you are not allowed in any range at all until you are 21......

Federal Law...!!!!!!

marine2000
That's a stretch.....

(1)You have to be 21 to buy HANDGUN ammo.

(2) The OP didn't say anything about buying ammo.

(3)By your 'reasoning' nobody under 21 would be allowed in a restaurant that serves alcohol because they are not 21.

(4) You do not know what you are talking about.

Do a little more reading [here] and Here.

PT111

imported post

I bought a hunting knife at Wal-Mart the other night and the guy behind the counter looked at me and said "Now you are 16 aren't you"? We both about fell over laughing. The best one was when my neighbor got carded when buying beer at the grocery store. My neighbor said "Honey I could just hug you, today is my 40th birthday". Let's just say she did not look 40. ;)

celticredneck

imported post

I'm not sure what the law was, but I was shooting Colt 1911s at the Fort Lee Range as a teenage junior member of my local rifle club . I did have adult supervision though, in the form of a senior member standing with me. Of course, this was back in the early 60s.

AbNo

imported post

Bill in VA wrote
18USC CH44 922(b)(1) states that a person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase rifle/shotugn ammunition from a licensee; for handgun ammunition the purchaser must be at least 21 years of age. In the case of ammunitiondesigned/intended for use in either a handgun or a rifle (such as .22LR) 18 is the age.
Well, I have a 9mm carbine, where does THAT leave someone?

I can get it in .40, as well.

vtme_grad98

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
marine2000 wrote:
Well.....

First of all you have to be 21 to purchase ammo. All Range(s) do sell Ammo ..However in order to first purchase them...you have to be 21 and therefore you are not allowed in any range at all until you are 21......

Federal Law...!!!!!!

marine2000
That's a stretch.....

(1)You have to be 21 to buy HANDGUN ammo.
Actually, federal law says that you have to be 21 to buy ammo used EXCLUSIVELY for handguns. We had an interesting time at the range one day trying to come up with ammunition that isn't used in some rifle or carbine. You have to get into some very old, or exotic, calibers to find ones that you can't legally buy when you're 18.

marine2000

imported post

Does federal law place any age restriction on ammunition sellers and purchasers?

Under federal law, it is illegal to sell (1) long gun ammunition to anyone under age 18 and (2) handgun ammunition to anyone under age 21 (18 USC 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478. 99(b)). According to BATF, a licensee may sell interchangeable ammunition such as a . 22 cal. rimfire to a person less than age 21 (but age 18 or older) if the dealer is satisfied that the ammunition is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement applies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Or maybe carry a certified true copy photograph of your long gun for clerks who do not understand English.:D

There are long guns made for virtually every modern/popular handgun cartridge. My understanding is that it would be a violation if someone between 18-21 attempted to buy a chambering made exclusively for a handgun.

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don't tell Walmart, but they now make pistols that fire some of the rifle ammo.

.223, .308, .30-30, .30-06, .30 (M1 Carbine)

And then there's that evil Taurus "Judge" that fires .45LC/.410

Sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh