• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do members of this fourm multi-quote preceding posts?

W.E.G.

imported post

I've never seen anything quite like it in other internet forums.

Its not at all unsusual to see somebody write one-sentence reply in a thread, and at the same time "quote" some ridiculous number of prior lines, and prior posts, from the same thread.

What is up with that?

ETA: word in thread title should be "members," not member -- board software won't let me correct my typo in the thread title

hsmith

imported post

i think it is because the forum software will quote as many people deep, where some forum software will only allow you to quote "one deep"

Fawkes

imported post

yea, the software used on this board is showing its age... it's tripped me up a few times using normal tags that don't carry over, and then having to edit the post as best I can to fall inline with more modern practices.

richarcm

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:

Its not at all unsusual to see somebody write one-sentence reply in a thread, and at the same time "quote" some ridiculous number of prior lines, and prior posts, from the same thread.

What is up with that?

ETA: word in thread title should be "members," not member -- board software won't let me correct my typo in the thread title
I don't understand?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
snip.....
Quoting previous posts to which one is responding does have the advantage of not having to bouce repeatedly from OP to your replay page.

Also it allows "selective" qoutes through edit features and there fore makes your reply specific to that remaining portion of the original. See example above.

I like it.

Yata hey

FogRider

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Quoting previous posts to which one is responding does have the advantage of not having to bouce repeatedly from OP to your replay page.

Also it allows "selective" qoutes through edit features and there fore makes your reply specific to that remaining portion of the original. See example above.

I like it.

Yata hey
It's not always helpful though. For instance, leaving the quote from your post would have done nothing to make mine any clearer, so to clean it up I just left it out.

A little forum etiquette goes a long way, but like most things online it's nothing worth getting ones panties in a wad over.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:

What is up with that?

What is up with that?

What is up with that?

What is up with that?

I don't know.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think part of it arises from WowBB often screwing up quote formatting. If you quote a prior post, edit the post, and then start typing your response below the quote box, WowBB will often screw up the quoted section's formatting. That means you have to quote, at least start typing a response, THEN go back and edit to keep your quote intact consistently. Sometimes I forget to go back and edit the quoted post and end up quoting more than I intended and by the time I realize it, it just isn't worth going back to edit it unless it is a really long quote.

TexasNative

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
It seems to me that folks are either ignorant of their ability to edit the quoted posts, or are too lazy to do so.

I'm sorry if that angers the folks who are guilty of either of the above, but you aren't thinking at all about the folks who have to read your posts.

~ Boyd

Dr. Fresh

imported post

DrMark wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:

What is up with that?

What is up with that?

What is up with that?

What is up with that?

I don't know.

Really?

jeeper1

imported post

It's caused by using the "QUOTE" button which copies the whole post instead of highlighting, copying and pasting just the relevant lines. So laziness probably best describes it.

mobeewan

imported post

The thing I find really stupid on forums is when the first person to respond to a post uses the quote feature when making their response.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Have used reply button and then found that 4-5 others had posted before I sent, then the last poster thought I was responding to him - whole thing got out of context because of sequence.

Also replying to something 1/2 page or two pages back makes quoting almost manditory for relevancy.

There are those that qoute long streams of quotes just to aggrevate - no really they do - don't beleive it - could provide some samples.:cool: :p

Yata hey

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

What I have occasionally done in that situation (rapidly developing thread) is to get in a quick retort as placeholder and then edit it at my leisure.

ETA: A bit as I'm doing here. Yes, we OCDO have been abused by drive-by posters of great or lesser tenure that feel space/numbers are 'karma' and credibility. They are swine before whom we cast pearls. Swine with Pride, Integrity and Gift o' gab.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

And then those who are staying up-to-date - not going back and rereading everything everytime - probably never see it.

Yata hey

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mobeewan wrote:
The thing I find really stupid on forums is when the first person to respond to a post uses the quote feature when making their response.
I understand your point. However, my keyboarding skills are somewhat remedial. The whole process of posting is pretty laborious for me. As Grapeshot illustrated, there can easily be multiple posts between mine and the post I am responding to.

So recognizingmy limitation, Iusually make the reference to avoid confusion. Besides, if that's the stupidest this I do all day I'm coming out ahead.

TheMrMitch