• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Times-Dispach kills NRA ad attacking Obama

Repeater

imported post

From Style Weekly:

Street Talk
October 29, 2008
Times-Dispatch Spikes Anti-Obama Ad

by Chris Dovi

Some things apparently really are priceless, even in tough economic times. Integrity is one of them, and the Richmond Times-Dispatch may have decided its integrity was worth more than a few advertising dollars.

At a newsroom staff meeting Oct. 21, according to T-D sources, reporters and editors were informed that the daily paper’s Election Day issue would include a special advertisement wrapping that day’s edition. The ad, paid for by the National Rifle Association, was a blistering attack against Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

“It wasn’t pro-[Sen. John] McCain, it was against Obama,” a newsroom source says, with another reporting the ad read “Protect Freedom, vote against Obama.”

The polybags, as the plastic bags that contain newspapers on wet days are known in industry parlance, provide advertisers with first-dibs access to newspaper readers.

The wrap, with a predominantly blue color scheme, was shown to newsroom staff during the Tuesday meeting. Staffers were told that the ad would go out with the Tuesday, Nov. 4, edition. Last week, the Times-Dispatch editorial page endorsed McCain.

The ad caused deep concerns in the newsroom as well as with some people in corporate leadership, sources say. They worried the wrap might suggest a news bias against Obama that runs counter to the longstanding separation of news, opinion and advertising that is central to maintaining public trust in any news operation.

“There were some very bitter comments from our executive editor [Glenn Proctor],” says a staffer who attended the meeting. Proctor, the source says, made clear his dismay over the ad.

Proctor did not return a call for comment.

As of Thursday afternoon, Oct. 23, whatever the ad was or had been was no more. Times-Dispatch management declines to acknowledge whether such an ad was ever planned.

“We do not discuss current or future advertisers or advertising in the newspaper,” says Frazier Millner, a spokeswoman for the paper.

Millner says the paper has a long-standing policy regarding political ads.

“We have the right to accept or reject advertising based on its merit — we have advertising guidelines to do that,” she says. “We will not run an advertising poly bag for the NRA on Election Day or any other day. No further comment.”

A spokeswoman at the NRA’s national office, headquartered in Fairfax, also declines to comment on the existence of an advertising deal with the Times-Dispatch or its parent company, Media General: “I cannot confirm or deny anything about strategy from here until the end of the campaign.”

darthmord

imported post

The ad caused deep concerns in the newsroom as well as with some people in corporate leadership, sources say. They worried the wrap might suggest a news bias against Obama that runs counter to the longstanding separation of news, opinion and advertising that is central to maintaining public trust in any news operation.

As if the media isn't already in bed with Obama.

Had some Obama supporters ambush me when getting out of my car after work. I know they saw my 9mm when I got out as I was putting it back into the holster to CC (I normally OC while in the car, easier access and all).

They were *very* polite and courteous. They asked me to vote for Obama & Mark Warner. I told them that I would happily vote for Mark Warner as he was an excellent Governor IMO and that I wished he had ran for President. As for Obama, I told them his ideology too far removed from I felt was acceptable and under no circumstances could I vote for him with a clear conscience.

They seemed rather sad about that. But then perked right back up when they handed me a Nye flyer asking me to vote for him. Told'em that I would have to research his stances on various issues before saying yes or no on the ballot.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ahahahahhahahahaha*breathe*ahahahahahahahahahhaha ... The media bias is so strongly pro-Obama this election cycle that even people in media who are pro-Obama personally are writing articles about the strong media bias. The MSM rated above attorneys and used car salesmen in one poll of untrustworthy people. These people are truly delusional.

To refuse the ad is one thing and their right however, to somehow try to paint such a decision with a palette of integrity is laughable.