• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in the winter

suckmyglock

imported post

So in the winter we wear a lot of big coats, etc around and I'm wondering how do you all OC during the winter? Obviously no biggie when indoors but when out and about is it possible?

thanks
Brad

Daddyo

imported post

Its just turning to winter down here. I've lived in Minnesota, so I realize you may need a more serious coat than we do here, but my main winter coat is an MA-1 flight jacket. Its just the right length that it can easily be tucked behind the shirt guard of my holster.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Long coat... like a M-65 field jacket (1/4) length? Gunbelt outside the jacket. Dunno what it is with y'all who can't get yer heads around seperate gunbelts. That idea worked long before pants belts were invented. (Belt loops didn't happen 'til 1922) That's what 'belts' were for... to carry weapons.

"Gird your loins" meant exactly that. Put on your sword belt 'n arm yourself.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just sling that AR over your shoulder and head out, right? I usually conceal in long coat or tuck a short coat behind a paddle holster. I could also move my paddle to 1 o'clock and leave my long jacket open if I need to OC.

Flintlock

imported post

I live in Alaska and with about 7 or8 months of winter here, I find it very difficult to OC on any regular basis during those months. Typically, it will be concealed just out of having to wear larger and thicker coats and layers.

This is unless you don't mind wearing drop-leg holsters.

LaVere

imported post

3038548565_2cde0c0698.jpg

VAopencarry

imported post

Funny pic LaVere. Would have been funnier without the disclaimer, would a been a hoot to hear all the people going berserk on ya. :)

In the winter, I don't OC.
I just carry, if it happens to be open or concealed by the way I am dressed that's the way I go.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LaVere wrote:
I have heard and read the comment, "We don't care if you carry it attached to your head, just carry," but I have never seen that method practiced. Intriguing. Although it does put the booger hook home close to the bang switch. :p