• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry of shot gun in truck

mrguppy

imported post

i read the law about the transporting of a shot gun, and that it is unlawful to carry a loaded shotgun, what is a loaded shotgun by definition? is it one in the camber, one in the tube??? i have a gun rack that i want to put to use.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mrguppy wrote:
i read the law about the transporting of a shot gun, and that it is unlawful to carry a loaded shotgun, what is a loaded shotgun by definition? is it one in the camber, one in the tube??? i have a gun rack that i want to put to use.

§ 15.2-915.2. This section empowers the governing body of any county or city to, by ordinance, make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Game wardens, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce theprovisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect. The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifleor shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm

ETA: Sorry can't find the specifics on loaded. I would assume, much like Michigan, the Shotgun/Rifle does not contain ammo in chamber, tube, mags, etc and the gun must either be cased or broken-down while inthe vehicle.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"Loaded" generally seems to have the meaning of ammunition in the firearm = whether in the chamber or in the magazine/cylinder. No cites found from the Code of Virginia butvarious court case decisions make reference to any condition where ammo & firearm are together as being a "loaded weapon".

§ 15.2-915.2permits localities to enact ordinances controlling the carry of long guns in a vehicle on streets/highways. You can check www.MuniCode.com for the various Virginia localities to see if such an ordinance has been written http://www.municode.com/resources/code_list.asp?stateID=46.

stay safe.

skidmark

mrguppy

imported post

i have a gun rack in the truck and wanted to be able to carry the shotgun in it while goin between a few differrent hunting spots through out the day. but dont want to get pulled over and what not, for now i think i will keep the ammo on the ammo belt that goes on the gun

mrguppy

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Never had a problem with my shotgun & rifle in thegun rack of my truck in VA Beach or Chesapeake.

i dont think i would ever have a problem. i was wondering if loaded meant one in the chamber or the chamber empty and the plug filled.

67GT390FB

imported post

the only reference i could find was for muzzle loaders, considered unloaded if no cap or primer, or empty pan. i would presume empty magazine and chamber unless someone finds further info.