• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What caliber for lion?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I keep hearing from DGIF about mistaking Bobcats for Lions.
Even a bad Bobcat picture is easy to tell.

I got this one back in July.

what.jpg

ODA 226

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I've tried to follow every Va sighting there was for the last 5 years.
There is no credible evidence that there are lions (except escaped pets).

I didn't see a collar on that cat...it was definately NOT a pet!

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/information/?s=050112

Note: Sightings in Suffolk. The animal control officer told me that there had been 3 sightings in Suffolk in the past year.
DGIF won't be convinced until one gets shot...or until one of the cats mauls or kills someone.

It would be nice. Now that we have a few Elk back in Va. a couple of mountain lions would just be icing on the cake.
I told Animal Control hatif I saw the thing near our apartment again, they wouldn't need to set traps for it. (We have very small 3-5 year old children in our block.)They said I could be charged if I shot the thing....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I've tried to follow every Va sighting there was for the last 5 years.
There is no credible evidence that there are lions (except escaped pets).

I didn't see a collar on that cat...it was definately NOT a pet!

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/information/?s=050112

Note: Sightings in Suffolk. The animal control officer told me that there had been 3 sightings in Suffolk in the past year.
DGIF won't be convinced until one gets shot...or until one of the cats mauls or kills someone.

It would be nice. Now that we have a few Elk back in Va. a couple of mountain lions would just be icing on the cake.
I told Animal Control hatif I saw the thing near our apartment again, they wouldn't need to set traps for it. (We have very small 3-5 year old children in our block.)They said I could be charged if I shot the thing....
I've seen Southpark two times.
The second was where they went hunting but had to shout...

"It's coming right at me" before they shot1:lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not surprised to hear that DGIF is still claiming they don't exist. Dept of Natural Resources (DNR) is in charge of such things in MO. Despite numerous reports they said for years that there were no black bears in this area. Finally a teenager accidentally hit one on a major road in town killing it. Suddently DNR says, oh, yeah, well there may be bears in the area. There have been reports of cougars here as well and DNR, typically, says they do not exist and it is really bobcats.

There have been a few sightings of cougars in eastern KY near my family's place there. Some of the sightings have been by old timers born and raised in those hills and old enough to remember when there was a recognized cougar population in the area. Bobcats are not uncommon and they would easily distinguish a difference. But then along comes whatever state run dept and says, "Oh, you're mistaken. We weren't there and you have been hunting in these hills for 60 years but we KNOW what is out there and you don't because, well, see this state ID and badge? That makes us the uber-experts."

I think it would be great if cougars repopulated the eastern US. While there will be certain conflicts and confrontations, there is a lot of rural land in which for them to live and prosper.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I'm not surprised to hear that DGIF is still claiming they don't exist. Dept of Natural Resources (DNR) is in charge of such things in MO. Despite numerous reports they said for years that there were no black bears in this area. Finally a teenager accidentally hit one on a major road in town killing it. Suddently DNR says, oh, yeah, well there may be bears in the area. There have been reports of cougars here as well and DNR, typically, says they do not exist and it is really bobcats.

There have been a few sightings of cougars in eastern KY near my family's place there. Some of the sightings have been by old timers born and raised in those hills and old enough to remember when there was a recognized cougar population in the area. Bobcats are not uncommon and they would easily distinguish a difference. But then along comes whatever state run dept and says, "Oh, you're mistaken. We weren't there and you have been hunting in these hills for 60 years but we KNOW what is out there and you don't because, well, see this state ID and badge? That makes us the uber-experts."

I think it would be great if cougars repopulated the eastern US. While there will be certain conflicts and confrontations, there is a lot of rural land in which for them to live and prosper.

DGIF may change their position. The new Director is not a pencil pusher. If he told me the sky was on fire, I'd grab an asbestos umbrella before I looked.

AbNo

imported post

Hmm, I kept hearing stories about a lion around the VA/WV border, in and around Highway 33 West.

Yeah, not a mountain lion, a LION LION.

Can't be the same one, can it?

Marco

imported post

Consider African/ Asian Lions weigh > 250 lbs not likely.
Now, if the AL was extremely malnourished, possibly.

I agree w/ Peter DGIF will not believe there is a Lion until someone lays it on their door step.

When I lived in NV I saw Wolfs in the National Forest, the Ranger told me I was crazy and that it was probably a dog/coyote mix.

About a month later some researchers had tracked aWolf(bitch) fromCanada in to Mexico and back.

[line]
I had a good friend die while hunting ML in Southern UT.
He had a heart attack while climbing to get a better shot and fell to his death.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Is anyone here old enough to remember thelion that got loose in Williamsburg years ago?Years and yearsago (mid- to late-1970s?)the High's Ice Cream in Williamsburg had a lion they kept in the closet (a small back room, actually.) He got loose one dayy and friend's father who was on the police force (Darrel Warren...he later retired as a captain) shot it. Anybody remember this?

I remember something about it Bill. That was shortly after I moved to this side of the mountain.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

At last, a picture of the Chesterfield cat.:celebrate

"We were walking like this and then all of a sudden,I saw the lion," saysElaine Severson. She says she will remember the exact spot in the middle of Channing Circle for the rest of her life.

It's the spot she claims she saw a 200 to 300 pound lioness, squatting and waiting to attack.
Lion spotter Elaine Severson says, "Massive paws and it wasn't a big dog or even a massive cougar this is something extreme and massive."

tiger.jpg

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
...Remember, it hasn't been that many years that there were NO Coyotes in Virginia. When reports started trickling in, DGIF flatly denied the possibility.
Now, it's nearly impossible to find a county or city that doesn't have an established number of them.
No joke about the Coyotes here...My male OES did a number on one last year. I never knew he could do that or how fast and agile he actually is. It was an amazing and scary sight at the same time for me. I have clocked him at 30MPH by the ATV speedometer, however accurate that is, and he has burst ahead a couple of times.
Unfortunately, I have seen more and more of them here. I heard that they were considered a nuisance species and `kill at will` but have not confirmed that.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Yep, open season on yotes. Have fun, they aren't easy to hunt or trap.
I've had better luck with snares than anything else.

The best way I've found to hunt them is at night with an electronic call.
Peter,

Come on over to my place. I think there are three of them in a stretch of woods that backs up along Falling Creek and extends to where the dumpsters are for my aptartments. Seen them individually and once all three - feeding out of the bags that "just missed" being put inside the dumpster. They looked up as my headlights hit them, and scampered pretty quick.

Wonder if Chesterfield PD would have any problem if you staked out the place? :D

stay safe.

skidmark

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
How bad is the recoil on one of those 45-70's ?
I don't know. I have never known anyone that owned or shot one. I know it is an old cartridge. My guess is that it is very uncomfortable to shoot. I just threw that out there based on what I have read on the cartridge.

Marco

imported post

Why so much over kill?
A.357 mag will do for short range.

A 45-70 is kind of like a 12ga slug regarding recoil.
A good all around load is a 405gr LFP (lead flat point) @ 1700 from a 18.5 bbl (Marlin 1895 guide gun, non ported)