• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open Carry

Madcapper

imported post

So I have a ruger p944, I am in northern va (alexandria) and I am curious how you open carry when you are always wearing a jacked in the winter. I dont have a CCW right now but plan to in the future. Either way, how do you open carry in the winter?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Employ the "Virginia tuck". Move your jacket from resting over the handgun to between it and your shirt. This should expose your firearm and make you legal.

Of course, coats are a different matter. But you said jacket, not coat.

Madcapper

imported post

Ok what about a coat? My coat goes to the end of my pockets give or take. What about that? :)

Madcapper

imported post

Thats what I expected as a response :p Would appendix carry be considered open with an unbuttoned coat?

jbone

imported post

For me when it's cold outside, the issue of gun OCtakes back seat,aslo rains alot in the winter here.I just dona jacket since my CPL is always in my wallet.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Cold weather is exactly the reason I applied for my CC permit. Hitching my coat behind the gun kept not working - and the last thing I want is an arrest for illegal carrying. Fortunately, it doesn't stay cold for long in New Orleans.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Dunno about a lanyard. Doesn't sound too safe.

I'd probably go would a drop holster if I couldn't conceal. Yeah it's a bit of a mall ninja thing but it's probably the best solution.