• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Depot Issue

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

While shopping and OCing at Home Depot in Castle Rock this afternoon, I was approached by an associate who asked to see my permit. I told him that there is no permit to OC in Colorado and he responded saying that I was correct (why did he ask then?), but that "they" would feel better if I covered it up so as not to scare anyone. I asked if I had indeed offended someone, which the associate couldn't really answer. He then said, "it's entirely up to you, but we'd ask that you cover it up in the store." Not wanting to be an ass, and with my four-year old hanging out of the cart trying to get a the vacuums, I told him that it was their store and I'd cover it up if they wanted me to, which I did. I was pretty sure Home Depot didn't have a policy that went above state law but to make sure I called their corporate office after leaving. They confirmed that anyone who is legally allowed to carry a firearm may carry one in the store. The lady I spoke with said that she would prefer that it be carried openly rather than concealed, although I'm sure that was a personal reflection and not policy. I then called the manager on duty at the Castle Rock store to relay my exerience. He apologized for it and told me that he would speak to the associates to make sure they understood the corporate policy and the law.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Wow, I've never had an issue in either HD or Lowes of CR. I guess there's always a first time. Aside from the associate taking the "law" into their own hands, HD management at least acknowledged your rights and the law and will make the appropriate actions (we hope). There might be hope for Home Depot yet!!!
I had a 17 yr old bag boy at the Founders King Soopers ask me about requirements to CC after he saw my 1911 in the checkout line. I gave him the quick rundown and reminded him that he can OC at 18 provided he's a good boy.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

All and all, my experiences have been very positive at both Home Depot & Lowes. There is always bound to be someone who is "uncomfortable" or who just doesn't know the law. Store Management & Corporate handled it very well.