• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving out of state

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I have a question. My sister is trying to convince me to room with her in Portland, OR after I graduate college, and I'm considering it. However, I was wondering what would happen to my CPL? Does it become invalid? Can I change it to a non-resident permit?

Also, how is Oregon about carry? I hear their laws are funky.

Thanks.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

WA makes no distinction between resident and non-resident permit. They are one and the same. The only difference is for a non-resident they are allowed to take longer for the approval process.

OR does not recognize a WA permit, and WA doesn't recognize OR, so to carry concealed you would need to get an OR permit as well. My understanding is that OR is an OC state as well, but I don't know the rules for them. May want to visit the OR board for info there.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

That's good to know. I'm not to worried about getting an OR permit because they are shall-issue (for residents). I was just worried that my current permit would become invalid if I moved.

Would I have to change the address on it?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I seem to recall that you can't "change" it, it would essentially be reapplying and having to pay the fee again. To my knowledge there is no requirement that it have your current info or you notify of a change (like the requirement for your D/L).

Machoduck

imported post

Dr. Fresh, be aware that open carry in Portland is legal only if one has a concealed carry permit. I know that that appears to make no sense but it involves Oregon preemption, which is much weaker than is Washington's. There are numerous other cities in OR where you need a (recognized) CCP to carry openly and they are all west of the Cascades and north of Albany. I think maybe Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, Dallas, and Independence. I'll look tomorrow for the exact cities but Portland is the biggie for you. Good luck getting a CCP quickly.

MD

shad0wfax

imported post

If you have all of your ducks in a row before you get to Oregon you can complete the required nightly classes within the first week or two of arriving (if you time it right) and have a permit as soon as a month or two after you arrive. As Machoduck pointed out, open carry might not be a good idea in Oregon unless you're very solid on Oregon law and local ordinances.

Concealed Pistol Permits in Oregon are somewhat difficult to obtain for a non-resident. It can be done, provided that you are persistent. At this time, only Multnomah County is issuing non-resident CPL's in Oregon, so until you've lived in Oregon for long enough to establish a residence there, that's your only safe bet. EDIT: Italicized text is no longer accurate.

Oregon non-resident permits are rather subjective. You have to get a certification from your state of residence showing that you have never been committedto a psychiatric ward or treated for psychiatric disorders as well as justify why you need a non-resident permit. They make you take a class that meets for a few hours at night over the course of a week and submit some other paperwork from your state of residence, as well as all of the normal resident Oregon state permit requirements.

Lastly, the CPL's that Oregon issues are considered their property, not yours, and when they expire you're required to return them to them. If you are issued a non-resident permit and later become a resident, Oregon will require you to surrender your non-resident permit and obtain a resident permit. If you leave Oregon, you'll have to surrender whatever permit they issued to you to them. EDIT: This italicized textis no longer correct. It appears to have changed in 2003 and/or 2007.

Bear 45/70

imported post

OC is completely legal in Oregon. It is even legal in your car without a CPL. The wife and I have done so many times and even asked local law enforcement and stater cops and they all agree that it is legal. Unfortunately the Legislature left a loop hole for cities to outlaw OC without a CPL. IIRC, there are only 6 cities that have done this and Portland is one of them. As to the gun course for an Oregon CPL, all it needs to be is a course done by an NRA instructor and you could do that here before you go to Oregon. On thing you can't do is carry, OC or CC, on an ATV or a snowmobile.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Thanks for the advice guys. Do they have any classes in the Kitsap County, WA area that would apply for the Oregon license?

shad0wfax

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Do they have any classes in the Kitsap County, WA area that would apply for the Oregon license?
When I was a non-resident, applying for a non-resident permit, Multnomah County told me that the classes had to be done in Oregon, in Multnomah County. Since Multnomah was the only county issuing non-resident permits at the time, I took their word for it. Also, they could have denied my permit as a non-resident if they wanted to. Oregon is not shall-issue for non-residents.

Perhaps they treat residents better and allow them to use any NRA certified class as the above poster mentioned. Perhaps the law about the classes has changed. I don't know. I just know that when I dealt with them, they were rather hard to please.

Bear 45/70

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
When I was a non-resident, applying for a non-resident permit, Multnomah County told me that the classes had to be done in Oregon, in Multnomah County. Since Multnomah was the only county issuing non-resident permits at the time, I took their word for it. Also, they could have denied my permit as a non-resident if they wanted to. Oregon is not shall-issue for non-residents.

Perhaps they treat residents better and allow them to use any NRA certified class as the above poster mentioned. Perhaps the law about the classes has changed. I don't know. I just know that when I dealt with them, they were rather hard to please.

That is not the case now and besides, why would it matter where the class was taken as long as it complies with the Oregon State law. The county really has no options in the permit law.

As to classes, check with either the local ranges or the NRA for a local instructor.

spike89

imported post

NRA course search tool:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

Upcoming basic pistol classes:

Bothell - Saturday, November 08, 2008, 1031 - 228th Street SW, $50
Rangemaster, 425-481-8686. , philmurrayday@hotmail.com
Class types: Basic Pistol

Course Notes:
All equipment and firearms will be provided.

Olympia - Saturday, December 06, 2008, 12736 Marksman Rd SW, $50
Steve Collins, (706) 593-0783. , sjcollins69@aol.com

Course Notes:
Limited seating, please call for reservation.

Olympia - Saturday, January 03, 2009, 12736 Marksman Rd SW, $50
Steve Collins, (706) 593-0783. , sjcollins69@aol.com

Course Notes:
Ladies only class. Limited seating, please call for reservation.

shad0wfax

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
That is not the case now and besides, why would it matter where the class was taken as long as it complies with the Oregon State law. The county really has no options in the permit law.

As to classes, check with either the local ranges or the NRA for a local instructor.
I say again, Oregon is a Privelege-to-Carry state, not a Right-to-Carry state when it comes to concealed carry for non-residents. (Open carry is a different story.) When you're a non-resident this notion of privelege and arbitrary denial is even more apparent. At the time only one county issued non-resident permits and when that county told me I had to take the class at a specific time and location, I felt that to resist their instruction would result in a denial of my application. Perhaps the county situation and class situation has changed, but the Privelege-to-Carry (concealed) has not changed in Oregon for non-residents.

Bear 45/70

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

I say again, Oregon is a Privelege-to-Carry state, not a Right-to-Carry state when it comes to concealed carry. (Open carry is a different story.) When you're a non-resident this notion of privelege and arbitrary denial is even more apparent. At the time only one county issued non-resident permits and when that county told me I had to take the class at a specific time and location, I felt that to resist their instruction would result in a denial of my application. Perhaps the county situation and class situation has changed, but the Privelege-to-Carry (concealed) has not changed in Oregon.
However today that is not the case when it come to issuing non resident permits. Numerous counties are now issuing the non-resident permits. I still think they overstepped their authourityby requirering the class be taken in county. It's a state law that requires the class and the county really has no say in who gives, when or where and which classes meets the requirement. Oregon will even accept a DD-214 if it shows a pistol qualification.

shad0wfax

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:

Oregon will even accept a DD-214 if it shows a pistol qualification.

I wish I'd have known that. I have (and had at that time)a DD-214 witha NavyExpert Pistol Shot Meadal. (M9)That would have simplified my process if they had been forthcoming with that allowance when I was dealing with them.

It sounds like things have changed a bit for the better in Oregon for non-residents in the last three years.

adamsesq

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:

Concealed Pistol Permits in Oregon are somewhat difficult to obtain for a non-resident. It can be done, provided that you are persistent. At this time, only Multnomah County is issuing non-resident CPL's in Oregon, so until you've lived in Oregon for long enough to establish a residence there, that's your only safe bet.

It is true they have been difficult to get. You must (by law) demonstrate "compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need" (ORS 166.291(8)) Last I heard Washington County was easier than Multnomah County but I have never tried so can't say for certain.

shad0wfax wrote:
Lastly, the CPL's that Oregon issues are considered their property, not yours, and when they expire you're required to return them to them. If you are issued a non-resident permit and later become a resident, Oregon will require you to surrender your non-resident permit and obtain a resident permit. If you leave Oregon, you'll have to surrender whatever permit they issued to you to them.
This is the one that intrigues me. I have never heard this and don't see it in the statute anywhere. My Oregon permit does not say this anywhere on it nor do I recall that being anywhere in any of the paperwork. Where did it come from?

-adamsesq

shad0wfax

imported post

adamsesq wrote:

This is the one that intrigues me. I have never heard this and don't see it in the statute anywhere. My Oregon permit does not say this anywhere on it nor do I recall that being anywhere in any of the paperwork. Where did it come from?

-adamsesq

The lawhas changed. I see notations of changes made in 2003 and 2007 in the ORS 166.295 (renewal section).The back of my permit had writing to that effect printed directly on it on expiration/renewal. Mine expired in 2003 and I had to give it back to them at that time. The law has changed.

I'll take this opportunity to correct myself about the "shall-issue" statements I made earlier.

Oregon stateis "shall-issue" for residents, provided you meet the requirements. Oregon is only subjective and "priveleged-issue" for non-residents, since as you stated, ORS 166.291 subsection (8) reads "The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need."

I guess this serves me right for going on 5 year old experience with Oregon state. :?I'veadded some corrective text tomy previous posts where I opened my mouth before checking the current ORS's. Bad me, bad me...