• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOM WANTS A GUN

tracylaud83

imported post

My mom is 70+, Home here in Florida, travels North in the summer, 55+ housing area, has arthritis.

She was born and raised in PA. We grew up with guns in the house, Hunting and all. BUT, I never saw my mom handle or use a gun......

Now she wants a gun. (I'm OK with that)

My retired LEO brother wants her to get a S/W Revolver, 9mm or bigger.

I'm thinking Walther P-22 ?? and classes ?? plus range time with me(Gives me one more reason to go to the range more). My thoughts are that with her arthritis that the action of a revolver might be to much for her, and I'm worried about any recoil of anything bigger than a .22 or .38

I'll take her to the range Saturday, let her shoot my Walther P-22, S/W Model 10 .38 Revolver. I don't think I want her to even touch my Makarov 9mm

She wants to keep it under $400.00

Any thoughts or ideas

Lezchap

imported post

Take her out and let her shoot every gun she can get her hands on...and let her decide which she likes best. A 22 isn't the best for defense, but it beats nothing, so if that's all she feels she can handle, pick her up one. I know the indoor range here has a lot of guns they rent.

Honestly...the best gun is one she'll be comfortable using.

PT111

imported post

My retired LEO brother wants her to get a S/W Revolver, 9mm or bigger
A 9mm Revolver? :)

Seriously I would suggest a revolver, something small such as a J-frame size. A .22 is frowned upon but it is an effective deterent to most crooks and could be the thing for her. You don't say what physical shape she is in other than her age but she does need to try several. I would really like for someone to develop the .327 mag into a J-frame carry gun for people. I think it would fill the bill for some ladies orweaker folks.

FogRider

imported post

A revolver might well be better than a semi auto. It may be difficult for her to rack the slide on a semi, especially with arthritic hands. A DA revolver might have a stiff trigger, but you can always shoot it SA if necessary.

tracylaud83

imported post

PT111 wrote:
A 9mm Revolver? :)

9mm Revolver:

Taurus model 905 revolver 9mm caliber 2" barrel 6 grooves 1:9.5" twist 5 round capacity Transfer bar safety Single/double-action Rubber grips Blue finish Small steel frame Fixed sights 6-1/2" overall length 4.37" tall 1.38" wide 22.2 oz.

(wish I knew how to do pics on this site)

PT111

imported post

Just picking, I know there are some 9mm revolvers but don't they all use the moonclips? Some love the moonclips and some hate them. For someone who doesn't handle guns a lot I would stay away from them. Still waiting for that .327 j-frame. :cool:

tracylaud83

imported post

Mom really enjoyed the Range at the Ocala Nat Park.

She fired my Walther P-22, S/W .38, Makarov (light loads) 9mm.

Many people around, helping her, and offering for her to fire their smaller guns. She fired many.

She really liked, and fell in love with a Colt .38 Cobra.

When we left the range, she went straight to the Ocala Armory, and purchased a Colt Cobra .38, Asked about CC classes.

The only thing she didn't like were the 3 AK's and about 7teens next to us. She just didn't like the noise. When I offered the teens a chance to fire my Makarov, is when other people started offering my mom to fire their smaller guns.

All in all, a great and fun day.

PT111

imported post

Sounds like a winner to me. For most people the simple the better and you really can't get any simpler than a revolver. Even though the .38 caliber doesn't start with a 4 it is an effective round. Just hope she never has to use it.

vermonter

imported post

Makarov? Are you kidding? You don't want to give a 70+ year old woman and gun that requires "decocking" or other steps to make it safe. Look into the Keltec PF-9 in a semi auto, but I think a "J" frame revolver shrouded hammer with light loads would be WAY better. Dealing with loading magazines can be difficult for fragile hands. She needs simplicity of operation, and ease of manipulation. Most of all she needs to have it hammered into her head about keeping her finger off the trigger until ready to fire. Keep the weapon and training basic and simple!

j2l3

imported post

vermonter wrote:
Makarov? Are you kidding? You don't want to give a 70+ year old woman and gun that requires "decocking" or other steps to make it safe. Look into the Keltec PF-9 in a semi auto, but I think a "J" frame revolver shrouded hammer with light loads would be WAY better. Dealing with loading magazines can be difficult for fragile hands. She needs simplicity of operation, and ease of manipulation. Most of all she needs to have it hammered into her head about keeping her finger off the trigger until ready to fire. Keep the weapon and training basic and simple!
He already said she bought a revolver over a month ago.