• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First solo oc experience ever at.....

riverrat10k

imported post

............Obama campaign office on Midlothian Tnpk.

Yep, kept hearing that jerk from the AHSA telling me how great O is on 2A. So I called today to find out their hours and they said they were open till 9.Left work and headed over.

Passed a nice older couple at the outer door, and another fella in the hallway to the office.

Walked in and asked forcampaign materialconcerning O's stance on2A as I thought I had gotten a flier in the mail about it (I think; have been getting all kinda crap from both sides this week).

Pretty sure the woman who greeted me saw the pistol. She referred me to another woman nearby and I repeated my request for 2A literature for O. She said go the website and print out what I want. Got the big :what:from two phone bank operators. Not sure how many really noticed I was carrying. Two women loading coolers did not. Woman was very nice and professional and finally gave me a dozen regular brochures. I thanked her and left.

Stopped by Ukrops on the way home, oc, chatted at the prepared food counter, checked out, then remembered Danbus and stopped at First Market to donate.

Have no account there so tried to get a cash advance off my credit card, but they were having trouble getting my card to read so I'll do that later. The lady teller asked what the fund was for and I saida legal defense fund. She asked what the guy had done and I gave her a very brief outline. When I said Norfolk, she said that was a dangerous town and probably a good place to go armed. She then said she was terrified of handguns but not rifles or shotguns.

Since it was a bank, I thought I would not call attention to my sidearm and left. Overall, kinda anti-climactic. As it should be. I think my litte j-frame looks like a cell phone.

riverrat

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's a pretty good start. I wouldn't have thought of going to the Obama office while OC'ing. I'm surprised they were so laid back. Somehow I expected to hear they'd lost sphincter control or something.

Spoke to Danbus last night, and he seems fairly optimistic about his case, but the fee is $1500 so I'm sure your contribution will help.

Keep up the good work.

riverrat10k

imported post

I was suprised they were so cool. Again, I'm not sure how noticable it was.It's a small gun and holster. Also, the configuration of the doorway/desk area put my strong side toward the wall.I am sure two of the phone bank operators were staring openly, but I was trying to be polite to the womanI was speaking with and looking mostly at her.

I used the campaign stuff they gave me to start a fire tonight.:)

AbNo

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Walked in and asked forcampaign materialconcerning O's stance on2A as I thought I had gotten a flier in the mail about it (I think; have been getting all kinda crap from both sides this week)
Oh, here. I made some campaign material concerning the Messiah's stance on Second Amendment rights (and rights in general).

Feel free to print and distribute at your leisure.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Aint it fun to go OC?

Was it the First Market branch next to Wawa on Midlo?They are OC-friendly. That Said [suP]TM[/suP], Ukrops is OC-friendly as well, which makes visiting a FM branck inside Ukrops a double-delight.

One of the tellers even noticed when I was carrying a "different" sidearm on one of my visits. We had a 30-second conversation about it.:D

BTW, somebody commented on a pic of you & your J-frame in the Fobus holster - said it looked "tactical". Take that as a good thing.

stay safe.

skidmark

riverrat10k

imported post

The Ukrops with a First Market inside on Forest Hill Ave. Main problem I had was keeping my strong side clear of others, and keeping my right hand in a non-threatening posture. Something to be said for your shoulder holsters maybe, Skid.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Main problem I had was keeping my strong side clear of others, and keeping my right hand in a non-threatening posture. Something to be said for your shoulder holsters maybe, Skid.
I rest my right elbow on the butt of it when in line and turn my right hip to the counter when signing checks etc. Works for me - try it.

Yata hey

riverrat10k

imported post

Grapeshot, being new, I was just a little alarmed at how my situational awareness had to change vs. CC. Interestingly enough, I felt a bit vulnerable on my right side. I guess one gets used to it. Cya sat. I hope.

ODA 226

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:
Main problem I had was keeping my strong side clear of others, and keeping my right hand in a non-threatening posture. Something to be said for your shoulder holsters maybe, Skid.
I rest my right elbow on the butt of it when in line and turn my right hip to the counter when signing checks etc. Works for me - try it.

Yata hey
This is one of the reasons I appendix carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Grapeshot, being new, I was just a little alarmed at how my situational awareness had to change vs. CC. Interestingly enough, I felt a bit vulnerable on my right side. I guess one gets used to it. Cya sat. I hope.
Vulnerability fealings will diminish - hopefully heightened situational awareness will not.

Yata hey