• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms in State Forests?

bigstick61

imported post

Myself and several friends were planning on a camping and hiking trip and were considering State Forests (although we likely will end up going to Desolation Wilderness, which is Federal) either for this one o for subsequent trips, and we wish to carry firearms. Does California allow firearms in State Forests, or is it prohibited like in State Parks? How about State Recreation Areas?

cato

imported post

Hello and welcome,

You seem to have hit upon an aspect of state law we've not gotten into before. I've actually never heard of state forests just state parks.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/

Call whatever park you're looking at and find out who manages them. That will be your first step.

bigstick61

imported post

California has several State Forests. They are managed by the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. One reasonI have looked into them is because I have read in several places that firearms are prohibited in State Parks, just like National Parks.