Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: My First Time

  1. #1
    Regular Member Reverend BCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    130

    Post imported post

    Alrighty, so I'm getting ready toOC for the first time (it will be in St. Joe) and I think I've done a pretty good job of brushing up on local law, determining how I will deal with confrontation from LEO's/public, and planning my daily destinations. But--as to be expected--I'm nervous about it, and I'm looking for a little "pep talk" here. Does anybody have any words of wisdom or encouragement (or warning!)that I should hear beforehand? I thinkthis will be one of the few tested times someone on opencarry.org has carried openly inSaint Joseph, and I can't find any documented tales on how those experiences went.



    So anybody who can give me scenarios of prior LEO encounters, or scripted things to say (or NOT to say), or what I should do if asked to relinquish my weapon, THEY WOULD ALL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I don't have a CCW yet, so keep that in mind. I also read somewhere that Missouri doesn't require you to hand your ID over to an LEO while being questioned...I'd like to know if this is true before I pull a Dave Ridley and vehemently deny it. To be honest, it's the least of my concerns, but it's still good to know. As well, what are some ways that I can turn a conversation into an EDUCATIONAL interaction for any hard-headed LEO's who decide to toss their authority around blindly? I'm coming into this situation assuming to be questioned and assuming that local law enforcement doesn't know local law like they should.
    "Before all else, be armed." -Nicolo Machiavelli

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    I'd say the best things to do are to know your rights, know the law, be articulate, be polite, dress for success, and even consider doing your first OC with family/friends in a very natural looking setting/format. I don't think you will be the first to OC in St. Joe but if LEO's are called it may be their first such response to OC.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    79

    Post imported post

    First thing like the man says dress properly be clean act like there is no problem have a professional attitude at all time, if approached by LEO's do as they ask, remember they are in charge on the street and will enforce that fact on any one that questions it.

    Some will argue here that they would rather start a fight with the LEO be for giving them the ID, I don't think it's that big a deal and it will show them that you aren't out looking for trouble, be polite answer all question honestly and direct try not to talk to much or offer any more information than they ask for, the more you show them that you are cop friendly the more they will be friendly to you.

    If they are rude you still be professional and cooperative and don't give them any reason to arrest you. let them break the law or deny your rights take the high road as it where.

    So long as you act like it is natural watch your body language don't try to hide it buy turning away or moving your arm to help conceal from the LEO's they should be trained to watch for such behaver, if you act like nothing is out of place then they shouldn't pay you any mined and the people around you will not pay any attention to you which is what you want.

    You can stand up for your rights and don't show the LEO's that what they say is final you can convince them that they are wrong ( if they are ) buy being tactful and not confrontational, just be prepared to take it to court if needed. like the people that have given there livefor our rights, we must be prepared to defend them in court, you might wantto look up a local lawyer that is pro-gun and is willing to defend you if needed and it wouldn't hurt to carryhis business card with you, youmight need to call from the pay phone at the localjail.

    GOOD LUCK and don't worry about thesmall stuff, they will take care of them self's






  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    Jeez.....You make it sound like St. Joe is very anti-gun. Relax and enjoy the day. The chance of you having a problem is very minute. Worst case they will detain you and do a warrant check.

    Keith

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    To me it's not so much the St. Joe LEO's. It's the idiots with a phone and nothing better to do but stick their nose in other peoples business. Detained and checked for warrants isnot standard operating procedure for law abiding citizens exercising lawful 2A rights with no other issues, suspicions, acts being perpetrated.

    keithw1975 wrote:
    Jeez.....You make it sound like St. Joe is very anti-gun. Relax and enjoy the day. The chance of you having a problem is very minute. Worst case they will detain you and do a warrant check.

    Keith

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    captainamerica wrote:
    To me it's not so much the St. Joe LEO's. It's the idiots with a phone and nothing better to do but stick their nose in other peoples business. Detained and checked for warrants isnot standard operating procedure for law abiding citizens exercising lawful 2A rights with no other issues, suspicions, acts being perpetrated.

    keithw1975 wrote:
    Jeez.....You make it sound like St. Joe is very anti-gun. Relax and enjoy the day. The chance of you having a problem is very minute. Worst case they will detain you and do a warrant check.

    Keith
    Very true. I was saying that it was the worst case scenario, NOT what he should expect.

    Keith

  7. #7
    Lone Star Veteran Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    712

    Post imported post

    Reverend BCal wrote:
    Alrighty, so I'm getting ready toOC for the first time (it will be in St. Joe) and I think I've done a pretty good job of brushing up on local law, determining how I will deal with confrontation from LEO's/public, and planning my daily destinations. But--as to be expected--I'm nervous about it, and I'm looking for a little "pep talk" here. Does anybody have any words of wisdom or encouragement (or warning!)that I should hear beforehand? I thinkthis will be one of the few tested times someone on opencarry.org has carried openly inSaint Joseph, and I can't find any documented tales on how those experiences went.



    So anybody who can give me scenarios of prior LEO encounters, or scripted things to say (or NOT to say), or what I should do if asked to relinquish my weapon, THEY WOULD ALL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I don't have a CCW yet, so keep that in mind. I also read somewhere that Missouri doesn't require you to hand your ID over to an LEO while being questioned...I'd like to know if this is true before I pull a Dave Ridley and vehemently deny it. To be honest, it's the least of my concerns, but it's still good to know. As well, what are some ways that I can turn a conversation into an EDUCATIONAL interaction for any hard-headed LEO's who decide to toss their authority around blindly? I'm coming into this situation assuming to be questioned and assuming that local law enforcement doesn't know local law like they should.
    I'm actually on my way to St. Joe right now to visit family. I will be open carrying for the entirety of my stay. I'm not really that nervous because I read up on the law thoroughly, and I have also open carried in a few other states before now. I called up the St. Joe police dept and talked to a Capt there. Although he said I should just conceal carry, he understood that it was not illegal to open carry. Just be confident and act like you know what you're doing and that you know what you're doing is legal. People will pick up on your confidence and probably not even notice that you're armed. On the other hand, if you act nervous, you will probably make other people nervous. If you have an encounter with anyone (LEO or not) just do what the other members are saying. Be courteous and polite and know your rights. By your post date, I'm sure you have already carried, how did it go?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    st.joseph, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    187

    Post imported post

    just found out from leo in st.joe mo.oc is legal here

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •