• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another shooting just off the VCU campus

richarcm

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
richarcm wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Is this becoming a who knows Richmond best thread? LOL

Who cares about what street goes where? The point is that the entire VCU/Richmond city area is a mess and VCU thinks that the best solution is to disallow for their students to protect themselves.

I went to JMU. I can't imagine living THAT close to Churchhill, Jeff Davis and Broad St. and not being allowed to protect myself. Especially as a chick. All the while depenbing on a fairly incompetant Richmond city police force.....
You don't know what your talking about. Keep your neigborhood opinions up there with you in NOVA.
I've spent 27 years in Richmond.....3 in NOVA. Thanks.
I don't care.
That's obvious.

Tomahawk

imported post

Actually, stealing bike seats and other parts is quite common in most college towns, even where the town is yuppified and carry is allowed. Of course, in State College, PA, the biggest bike thieves are the cops, who will break your lock and steal your bike for auctioning off if it doesn't have the Fuhrer's sticker on it.

richarcm

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Actually, stealing bike seats and other parts is quite common in most college towns, even where the town is yuppified and carry is allowed. Of course, in State College, PA, the biggest bike thieves are the cops, who will break your lock and steal your bike for auctioning off if it doesn't have the Fuhrer's sticker on it.

Thats true but most college towns don't have the overall criminal record that Richmond has.....from robbery, to rape, murder, prostitution, drug dealing....the city is out of control. Harrisonburg was never even REMOTELY like Richmond City.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The "concrete campus" that is VCU makes for a very poor neighbor in a severely blighted area in a city that has enjoyed very high crime rates. Within walking distance of VCU are some of the most notorious, infamous establishments and areas of the fair city.

Guns and books don't go together? Right - tell it to the victims!

Yata hey

kenny

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
The "concrete campus" that is VCU makes for a very poor neighbor in a severely blighted area in a city that has enjoyed very high crime rates. Within walking distance of VCU are some of the most notorious, infamous establishments and areas of the fair city.

Guns and books don't go together? Right - tell it to the victims!

Yata hey
I assume this is your opinion and not factual as there have been no recent news reports to support your opinion. Since you make no reference to way you may be walking I will use the direction west which is my neighborhood. The majority of the people who commit crimes in the general area are not residents and do not belong in the area, or should I say have no reason to be in the area(work, school or shopping).

It is people like yourself who make comments on what they think instead of bother to take the time to research the facts. Sector 313 of the RPD that is south of Broad & west of Belvidere is doing and has done a great job of cleaning things up.

We don't comments like yours and others, when you do not know what you are talking about. I've lived here for 25 years and I say the neighborhood all around VCU is much better than it was when I moved here.

I'll bet you live in Chesterfield or what once was. Thank goodness the crime statistics prove the crime in moving your way.

In my book you are either part of the solution or part of the problem. I suggest you change sides.

FYI the blighted homes in my neighborhood are selling for over $375,000.00, what about yours?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Yes I do live in Chesterfield - obvious from many of my posts and by choice. My parents lived in the Fan for over 40 years; however, I did not address that area (Fan residences) directly so you digress on a tangent.

I have spent a lot of time there - the last 15 years each and every day virtually. I will grant you that most of the crime is caused by "out-side elements" but please don't try to paint a picture of serenity.

IMO - VCU like other universities under reports crime. I'll even bet that, while the VCU Police have police powers on the streets and sidewalks in some of the area, they do not include all of those problem events in campus crime reports.

No, I'm not going to quote and cite this one - it isn't worth the trouble and we are talking about two different things. Do you remember the shootings at or near the nightspots, the Main St. and Cary St. robberies and attacks, vandalism to homes and vehicles, trash can fires, parking deck incidents, Monroe Park events, murders and arson in rental units? I personally know 30-40 retail locations in and around the area that have had significent occurances - in fact I do not know any that have not. One you did not read about was the man seriously threatened with bodily harm by a pan-handler - that was me - the problem was dealt with by myself and VCU police in the end.

Now I am glad if in fact serious and/or minor crime is being reduced in this area yet I doubt to any extremely great degree. I also understand your reasons for wanting others to think well of your neighborhood. I can't help but wonder though whether you let your spouse or children go for a walk after dark say on Grace St. near Belvidere or to the new Kroger alone - I would not.

And the value of homes in your neighborhood means what? That your opinion is worth more? Interesting argument implied.

Your data and cites are apparently as mine - opinions and I hold to mine.
I also take your comments and suggestions in the spirit in which they were offered - an ad hominem attack.

Yata hey

essayons

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Maybe there should be an OC event on the outskirts of VCU?
Why not on VCU (state) property?

As to all the geographical dispute.

The New York Fried Chicken is approximately 1 city block from the nearest VCU owned building, which is the W. Broad student apartments. I have eaten there a few times, its a dump.

Richmond and VCU have their problems, but Richmond is still a fascinating city, if you know where to go and where to avoid. Also in the past 5 years the crime rate of Richmond (and especially the murder rate) have plummeted. VCU is a growing university in both size and quality, and offers many first-rate academic programs which can't be found anywhere else in the country.

However, denying practical self defense to students and faculty at the states largest entity (~35,000 students/faculty) is inexusable.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

essayons wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Because that will probably get you arrested then you can be our test case.

VirginiaGunRights.pdf
Cheap link, I'm tired.

VCU would seem to have special dispensation from the state to ban guns on their property for students, staff and the public - this has been a hotly debated issue on several threads here on OCDO. There are those that maintain this point would not hold up.

We need to get this cleared up by the General Assembly. Until then be advised.

Yata hey

richarcm

imported post

essayons wrote:
richarcm wrote:

As to all the geographical dispute.

The New York Fried Chicken is approximately 1 city block from the nearest VCU owned building, which is the W. Broad student apartments. I have eaten there a few times, its a dump.

Richmond and VCU have their problems, but Richmond is still a fascinating city, if you know where to go and where to avoid. Also in the past 5 years the crime rate of Richmond (and especially the murder rate) have plummeted. VCU is a growing university in both size and quality, and offers many first-rate academic programs which can't be found anywhere else in the country.

However, denying practical self defense to students and faculty at the states largest entity (~35,000 students/faculty) is inexusable.
Yeah I think there are a handful of blocks on Cary St. and a couple of side streets that are pretty safe. The rest are either sketchy at best or pretty much ghetto. And I love Cary Town. When I was a little younger the hot spots were in the bottom. But nobody hangs out there anymore. Its become a dump. I used to work off of Stockton St....just south of the river. Talk about GHHHETTTTTTOOOO.

I'm sorry but Richmond is a dump. It may see years where it gets better but the overall trend over the past several decades has still been a more than obvious decay. And I'm not trying to pick sides....Springfield is just as dumpy as are many parts of NOVA and especially DC and Maryland. The more liberal the area....the more ghetto it is....just my opinion.

With the popluation becoming a more and more concentration of liberals it is unlikely that it will get too much nicer. Any improvement in crime is likely due to urban sprawl which Richmond and its surrounding counties are notorious for.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
essayons wrote:
richarcm wrote:

VirginiaGunRights.pdf
Cheap link, I'm tired.

VCU would seem to have special dispensation from the state to ban guns on their property for students, staff and the public - this has been a hotly debated issue on several threads here on OCDO. There are those that maintain this point would not hold up.

Yata hey
Yeah we've argued about VCU over and over. We all have our own interpretation of the statute. The GA will have to sort it out. For what its worth, I emailed (months ago) the Chief of Police at VCU asking for their interpretation and he never replied.

essayons

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
essayons wrote:
richarcm wrote:

VirginiaGunRights.pdf
Cheap link, I'm tired.

Yata hey
Unfortunately, as I am a student, it will certainly get me expelled. If I were not a student I'd be willing to give it a shot (no pun).

RaisaB

imported post

VCU definately under-reports crime. My son, a student at VCU,was shot on Goshen Street on 9/26/08. Outside of the City of Richmond which briefly repported it, who has heard of this crime? Yet, today I read about a guard at the Woldorf-Astoria in New York being shot! Their public relations went into work OT to keep this story mum.

My son almost lost his life, his subclavian artery was servered in two places losing hald of his blood at the scene. He was not expected to survive!He has been left with a paralyzed arm! Yet VCU continues to tout how safe they are!

I am sorry for those of you in Richmond, but the city is a cesspool of crime. VCU and City of are doing nothing to help matters either! YOu need to clean up your city and stop covering up the crap/crime that goes on there

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

RaisaB wrote:
VCU definately under-reports crime. My son, a student at VCU,was shot on Goshen Street on 9/26/08. Outside of the City of Richmond which briefly repported it, who has heard of this crime? Yet, today I read about a guard at the Woldorf-Astoria in New York being shot! Their public relations went into work OT to keep this story mum.

My son almost lost his life, his subclavian artery was servered in two places losing hald of his blood at the scene. He was not expected to survive!He has been left with a paralyzed arm! Yet VCU continues to tout how safe they are!

I am sorry for those of you in Richmond, but the city is a cesspool of crime. VCU and City of are doing nothing to help matters either! YOu need to clean up your city and stop covering up the crap/crime that goes on there
That is a most unfortunate event to constitute your first posting here. I commend you for the courage to do so. Only through such efforts and the resultant publicity might we be able to make a positive impact.

I see no difference between this shooting and Virginia Tech or George Mason on those personally involved. The numbers are different yet the individual pain. loss and suffering by each victim is special and unique to them and is not diminished by the lack of response from others. In fact the heightened frustration may well add to be a feeling of being victimized again.

Schools that under report crime, draw borders around their campuses and play down tragedies, do no one a favor. They continue the victim rich environment for the predators of society. These colleges and their administrators are IMO more than a little responsible for what has happened. They take credit for the successes - they must share in the blame for the failures - they are part of the problem!

I sincerely hope that time and medical science will allow your son to make the improvements that we wish him to make. Please keep us posted.

Yata hey

RaisaB

imported post

I had not read your link showing VCU's exemption to Open Carry!

This is such BS...

I wish I could hold the school responsible, but I do not know of a lawyer who would be willing to tackle it.

It occurred on "city" property, (which the school has emphasized to me more than once). It also did not occur while going to a school function or class, even though the Seigal Center is right at the corner.....

The disgusting part is that to get to classes students step off "campus" property to get to their next class as there is no "campus" per se... One of their idiot VP's Bennett even went on record saying that it was safe to walk around Monroe Park at night, (this quote came from his safe hotel roon in Europe at the time...). How is VCU getting away with this?

If anybody wants to look up the story, Google my son: Robbie Berriz VCU student. This is public record so I do not mind sharing our names.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

RaisaB please check your private messages (PMs) top right of any OCDO page.

Have read in detail all that I could find - talk about under reported!!!!

Yata hey

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I certainly share your anger, Raisa. My daughter goes to VCU, and used to live in a dorm at the edge of Monroe Park. It was full of homeless people and aggressive panhandlers, yet the administration was even opposed to the students carrying OC spray, and would confiscate any containers of it. I told my daughter to carry nonetheless, and I would provide as many replacements as necessary. She now has decided to transfer to Virginia Tech because their campus is safer. If she gets an apt. off campus, she will damn well have a pistol for home defense.

I sincerely hope your son recovers from his wounds. My prayers to both of you.

Richmond used to be proud city, but is now regretably a crime cesspool as you said. I never go there without carrying, even at the State Capitol!

essayons

imported post

RaisaB wrote:
I had not read your link showing VCU's exemption to Open Carry!
Unfortunately it is even worse, it is a ban on all weapons... guns, knives, OC spray, etc. VCU doesn't want its students to be able to defend themselves.