• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another shooting just off the VCU campus

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Man shot 3 times outside Richmond restaurant near VCU

Friday, Oct 31, 2008 - 06:15 AM Richmond Times Dispatch

Richmond police were investigating a shooting that injured a man outside a restaurant adjacent to Virginia Commonwealth University's main academic campus this morning. Capt. Linda Samuel said a man was shot three times at 2:20 a.m. in the parking lot of New York Fried Chicken, at 501 E. Broad Street, just across Belvidere Street from the eastern tip of VCU's Monroe Park campus.

Richmond police were investigating a shooting that injured a man outside a restaurant adjacent to Virginia Commonwealth University's main academic campus this morning.

Capt. Linda Samuel said a man was shot three times at 2:20 a.m. in the parking lot of New York Fried Chicken, at 501 E. Broad Street, just across Belvidere Street from the eastern tip of VCU's Monroe Park campus.

The man, struck once in the shoulder and twice in the torso, was taken to VCU Medical Center for treatment of injuries that Samuel said were not life-threatening.

Samuel said police were trying to establish a motive and compile a better description of a suspect other than that provided by the victim: a black male with a thin build.

"The victim was not completely cooperative with us," she said.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Given that all these shootings are taking place just outside the campus area, it looks like VCU might actually be the one exception to the GFZ logic. [Skid uses winch to take tongue out of cheek]

Seriously, between the utterly oblivious students with their cash and spendy electronics/jewlery and the less-than-stellar residents/habituees of the area, I'm surprised there is not more violence in and about the VCU campus.

Situational awareness is the best way to avoid the most unpleasant consequences that life often puts out there. Nobody should have to fear being out & about, getting a late meal, but that's not the way it always works. The last sentence of the news report suggests that the shooting victim may not be entirely innocent in this matter. Even so, getting shot is an extreme way to lose and argument.

stay safe.

skidmark

kenny

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Man shot 3 times outside Richmond restaurant near VCU

Friday, Oct 31, 2008 - 06:15 AM Richmond Times Dispatch

Richmond police were investigating a shooting that injured a man outside a restaurant adjacent to Virginia Commonwealth University's main academic campus this morning. Capt. Linda Samuel said a man was shot three times at 2:20 a.m. in the parking lot of New York Fried Chicken, at 501 E. Broad Street, just across Belvidere Street from the eastern tip of VCU's Monroe Park campus.

Richmond police were investigating a shooting that injured a man outside a restaurant adjacent to Virginia Commonwealth University's main academic campus this morning.

Capt. Linda Samuel said a man was shot three times at 2:20 a.m. in the parking lot of New York Fried Chicken, at 501 E. Broad Street, just across Belvidere Street from the eastern tip of VCU's Monroe Park campus.

The man, struck once in the shoulder and twice in the torso, was taken to VCU Medical Center for treatment of injuries that Samuel said were not life-threatening.

Samuel said police were trying to establish a motive and compile a better description of a suspect other than that provided by the victim: a black male with a thin build.

"The victim was not completely cooperative with us," she said.
The address in the story must be wrong, East Broad is down next to the Marriott. I believe it should read West Broad. Having said that VCU owns or controls the property on either side of the 500 block of West Broad Street (dorm & a parking lot). So it looks like the RTD reporter must have been on crack or something.

It just goes to show you can not trust anything you read in the press.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The address in the story must be wrong, East Broad is down next to the Marriott. I believe it should read West Broad.
Nope - Belvidere splits East & West for the city. The incident took place across the streetfrom (east of) Monroe Park.

stay safe.

skidmark

richarcm

imported post

Sorry, the city of Richmond is a dump. They really need to burn that city down and start over. I know they are working on it making it nicer but its just like showering in cologne. You may have a hint of an aromatic blossom but its quickly obvious that you just really stink.

kenny

imported post

skidmark wrote:
The address in the story must be wrong, East Broad is down next to the Marriott. I believe it should read West Broad.
Nope - Belvidere splits East & West for the city. The incident took place across the streetfrom (east of) Monroe Park.

stay safe.

skidmark
Sorry you are wrong. Belvidere splits the 400 & 500 block of West Broad Street. Monroe Park does not even touch West Broad. A simple Google Map search will show you. Check the phone book for the Hess Station at Broad & Belvidere it is 4XX West Broad as is the Rite Aid across the street.

The entire campus now is called the Monroe park campus which should be confused with the physical Monroe park where all the druts and drones hang out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Foushee Street is the east/west dividing line and
Main Street is the north/south divide.

Extreme zoom will locate address
http://tinyurl.com/57d4wx

The problem with the news article is that 501 W. Broad St. is 3 blocks from Monroe Park - not hardly " just across Belvidere Street from the eastern tip of VCU's Monroe Park campus." Belvidere St is one block away. Therefore "just across Belvidere" is two more 2 city blocks away. Total three (3) city clocks away.

Too much literary license and for no good reason.

Yata hey

Foot note added: IMO - VCU is likely buying up all the property that they can in this area under blind fronts.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mea culpa. Never again will I rely on the map inside the Yellow Pages.

Now you know why I have on of those turn-by-turn GPS thingies.

stay safe.

skidmark

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
Nope, Foushee does.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Foushee, St. James, and North Avenue Seperate East and West in Northside. I know the area intimately. I have responded to two shootings at New York Fried Chicken and more stabbings than I care to remember. There is an alley and a payphone at the Hess station. I can't imagine the number of small-time drug deals and rip-offs that go on in that little alley by that phone.

The alley overlooks Grace Street and the homeless shelter (Daily Planet). That area between the Daily Planet and Broad isnothing but filth. I would avoid the area, but Jackson Ward and Monroe haveprogressedby leaps and bounds.

kenny

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Mea culpa. Never again will I rely on the map inside the Yellow Pages.

Now you know why I have on of those turn-by-turn GPS thingies.

stay safe.

skidmark
You must have one of those south of the river phone books. Street numbering is somewhat uniformed until you reach Belvidere going west. On some street complete block numbers N - S & E - W will just dissappear. That is the primary reason west of Belvidere to the Boulevard is referred to as the Fan.

richarcm

imported post

Is this becoming a who knows Richmond best thread? LOL

Who cares about what street goes where? The point is that the entire VCU/Richmond city area is a mess and VCU thinks that the best solution is to disallow for their students to protect themselves.

I went to JMU. I can't imagine living THAT close to Churchhill, Jeff Davis and Broad St. and not being allowed to protect myself. Especially as a chick. All the while depenbing on a fairly incompetant Richmond city police force.....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

IMO - the reporter had an agenda (guns bad) and by suggesting that it was at or near VCU (where we all know there should never be any guns) gives fuel to the "keep guns away from colleges" mentality.

Being 3 blocks away takes it out of VCU in my opinion. Spin it anyway they can.

Sure the area is bad - so they disarm students and staff so they won't hurt themselves.:banghead:

Yata hey

razor_baghdad

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
IMO - the reporter had an agenda (guns bad) and by suggesting that it was at or near VCU (where we all know there should never be any guns) gives fuel to the "keep guns away from colleges" mentality.

Being 3 blocks away takes it out of VCU in my opinion. Spin it anyway they can.

Sure the area is bad - so they disarm students and staff so they won't hurt themselves.:banghead:

Yata hey
Hammer. Nail. Head. You just hit it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I do so regularly on Grace St and others. Talked to VCU LE at the door to their offices and been in a kiosk (sp) after asking permission, regarding an incident.

Never had a problem - was asked why, then the officer said for defense I suppose.

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Sorry, the city of Richmond is a dump. They really need to burn that city down and start over.
After having toured the VCU campus once, I would agree with this.

Me: "Why do you have a bike seat in your purse?"

VCU Tour Guide: "Pftt, 'cause I don't want it STOLEN! :quirky"

Me: :lol: .... :?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

richarcm wrote:

Who cares about what street goes where? The point is that the entire VCU/Richmond city area is a mess and VCU thinks that the best solution is to disallow for their students to protect themselves.

I went to JMU. I can't imagine living THAT close to Churchhill, Jeff Davis and Broad St. and not being allowed to protect myself. Especially as a chick. All the while depenbing on a fairly incompetant Richmond city police force.....
You don't know what your talking about. Keep your neigborhood opinions up there with you in NOVA.

richarcm

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
richarcm wrote:

You don't know what your talking about. Keep your neigborhood opinions up there with you in NOVA.
I've spent 27 years in Richmond.....3 in NOVA. Thanks.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

richarcm wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
richarcm wrote:

I've spent 27 years in Richmond.....3 in NOVA. Thanks.
I don't care.