• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walking through the park...

tdyoung58

imported post

shefearsnothing wrote:
I agree with the others about asking him for more information to verify his credentials....I personally always carry a digital voice recorder EVERYWHERE
Absolutly, I would have asked him to prove he was a LEO, before even talking to him. If he didn't provide it I would ave called the police on him for impersonating

I have a Digital Voice Recorder as well. Never leave home without it.

Kinda makes a good argument for 'sterile' OC carry

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I think that a lot of it has to do with how much "exposure" you have while you are OCing as well.

For example, I don't walk very much - for the most part I drive (I know, not good for my health) so not as many people have the chance to see my weapon.

I'm about to post a minor encounter that I had, though not in the City of Pittsburgh, but one of it's suburbs.

Prophet

imported post

Good point lildobe. I pretty much walk everywhere I go. I tend not to drive because the summer is pleasent, my jeep drinks gas like vampires suck blood, and I try to stay in shape by walking within 10 miles of my house.

Sig229

imported post

Great post!
I really enjoying hearing other's experience OC'ing.

Also, I have noticed many in Western PA who claim to be an "Off Duty LEO" are usually just Volunteer Fireman who WISH they could be LEO's. At least, that has been my experience with a few VFD guys I one encountered.

(I do want to make it clear that I still respect a person for being a member of a local VFD.)