• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vote Tuesday, your vote does count.

PT111

imported post

There have been many elections over the country lately where only one vote decided the winner. In a local city the Mayoral election was decided by one vote and this was a fair sized city. I doubt that the Presidential election will be that close but there are many local races that may well be very close and one vote can count.

Be sure to go to the polls Tuesday and at least vote for someone. If you don't even bother to vote then don't complain, that is the least you can do. Some of you historians can verify or correct this but supposedly Hitler gained control of the Nazi party by one vote. If only one person could have seen the future and voted the other way the present could be very different.

partemisio

imported post

PT111 wrote:
There have been many elections over the country lately where only one vote decided the winner. In a local city the Mayoral election was decided by one vote and this was a fair sized city. I doubt that the Presidential election will be that close but there are many local races that may well be very close and one vote can count.

Be sure to go to the polls Tuesday and at least vote for someone. If you don't even bother to vote then don't complain, that is the least you can do. Some of you historians can verify or correct this but supposedly Hitler gained control of the Nazi party by one vote. If only one person could have seen the future and voted the other way the present could be very different.
I agree.

With the president, if you add up all the people that don't vote and say "My vote isn't going to matter.", I think they could make the difference between somebody getting in verse the other. It would probably tens of thousands.

PT111

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Maybe, but since when has the popular vote ever put a President in Office ?
There will be 51 chances for that one vote to count. It could be 50 states going 90% one way or the other and 1 vote in DC to break the tie. Also there is going to ba a lot of local races where one vote can matter or maybe you don't care who your Representative is. Wasn' there a US Representative race decided by less than 25 votes last election?

PT111

imported post

Last time I checked all 435 Representatives are up for re-election plus the President, andprobably one-third of the Governors and Senators. Also several thousand other offices as well as many amendments and referundums. All to be voted on thisTuesday.

And yes it is possible that the Presidential race can be determined by one person's vote.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree PT111. Several years ago in Bedford, TX there was a very contentious election pertaining to a tax rollback and city services. Out of just over 12,000 votes cast the election was decided by a difference of six votes. I do believe that every vote matters.

I'll not debate here how one should vote. Just vote.

PT111

imported post

Dustin wrote:
PT111 wrote:
And yes it is possible that the Presidential race can be determined by one person's vote.

One Electoral College Vote, or one citizens vote ?
One citizen's vote. 8 Years ago the entire election depended on the Florida count. I believe that the final tally was a difference of less than 150 votes. If just76 of those votes had been for Gore instead of Bush he would have won. No matter how you want to count it Bush won by 150 individual votes.