• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question concerning the newer renewal CHP laws

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From what I can find I do not need to turn in anything other than the application and check/money order; no copies of anything. Am I correct in this assumption?
I am currently 170 days out until my current permit expires.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
Might depend on where in VA you are...

Also.. check out this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=3156&forum_id=54
Why would it depend on where in Va. you are?

State preemption applies and no fingerprints or proof of anything requirement for renewals.

Anything beyond renewal application and fee would be extra-legal.

Too tired - too late - somebody else cite it.

Yata hey

mobeewan

imported post

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

(1987, c. 629, § 15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923.)

§ 15.2-915.3. Requiring fingerprinting for concealed handgun permit.

Notwithstanding § 15.2-915, a county or city may by ordinance require any applicant for a concealed handgun permit to submit to fingerprinting for the purpose of obtaining the applicant's state or national criminal history record;
however, such ordinance shall not require fingerprinting for the renewal of an existing permit pursuant to subsection I of § 18.2-308.

18.2-308.G. The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence,
nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire:

18.2-308.I. Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in subsection D, a new five-year permit unless there is good cause shown for refusing to reissue a permit. If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit. If the circuit court denies the permit, the specific reasons for the denial shall be stated in the order of the court denying the permit. Upon denial of the application, the clerk shall provide the person with notice, in writing, of his right to an ore tenus hearing. Upon request of the applicant made within 21 days, the court shall place the matter on the docket for an ore tenus hearing. The applicant may be represented by counsel, but counsel shall not be appointed, and the rules of evidence shall apply. The final order of the court shall include the court's findings of fact and conclusions of law.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Because renewals in Loudoun (mine) took 8 business days.. and others (friends) in Fairfax took 45 days.
I don't think his question was regarding the time frame but what paper work, requirements exist to file for renewal - that being only completed renewal application (social security # is not req.) and payment of fee.

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Because renewals in Loudoun (mine) took 8 business days.. and others (friends) in Fairfax took 45 days.
I don't think his question was regarding the time frame but what paper work, requirements exist to file for renewal - that being only completed renewal application (social security # is not req.) and payment of fee.

Yata hey

Then why did he enter into his question how many days out he was? I did not anticipate anything in his question.. I was just providing a piece to his puzzle.

darthmord

imported post

I know from talking with others in different localities that some places don't like issuing them and will make applicants / renewals wait the full 45 days to get them.

While other localities will be on the ball and get them back to you in short order (Norfolk, 12 calendar days from date of submission).

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ed wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Then why did he enter into his question how many days out he was? I did not anticipate anything in his question.. I was just providing a piece to his puzzle.
The days out was not part of the question, it was just a statement that I was under 180 and could submit the renewal paperwork. I was only asking if any other paper work was required on a renewal.
Don't worry sometimes I don't know what the hell I was writing. I can think it clear and speak it clear but writing it clear is questionable at times.

JacquisPoni

imported post

Hi..It's been a while since I have posted on here.

I recently renewed my CHP in the City of Portsmouth, VA. My original was in Chesapeake, VA.

I called the Circuit Court Clerk to ask what I needed to renew..as long as your current CHP hasn't expired all you need to bring is your current CHP, Picture ID and $15.00 CASH Only (you will get receipt) and the Application (make sure you check the RENEWAL box). I asked what the turnaround time was and was told 2 weeks.

I went in to renew (took me longer to find a spot to park, then the actual renewal process). I went in January 6th, 2009 and had my new permit mailed to me and in my hand on January 13th. A total of 7 calendar days...I was floored.

The clerk did mention that the want you to renew within 45 days of permit expiration date of your current CHP.

Jacqui

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

JacquisPoni wrote:

I recently renewed my CHP in the City of Portsmouth, VA. My original was in Chesapeake, VA.

I called the Circuit Court Clerk to ask what I needed to renew..as long as your current CHP hasn't expired all you need to bring is your current CHP, Picture ID and $15.00 CASH Only (you will get receipt) and the Application (make sure you check the RENEWAL box). I asked what the turnaround time was and was told 2 weeks.

I went in to renew (took me longer to find a spot to park, then the actual renewal process). I went in January 6th, 2009 and had my new permit mailed to me and in my hand on January 13th. A total of 7 calendar days...I was floored.

The clerk did mention that the want you to renew within 45 days of permit expiration date of your current CHP.

Jacqui
$15 ???

Xd Fan

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
JacquisPoni wrote:

Jacqui
$15 ???

I think Amelia county is $15.00 too while here in Charlotte we get reamed for the full $50.00 :banghead:

Ore

imported post

Hello,

Just finished renewing myself (Fairfax). Actually, you may have to turn in some paperwork besides the application and check. For example, they may want you to provide a copy of your current CHP and some form of proof of address, like a current utility bill.

Fairfax required Triple copies of the application, CHP, and proof of address. As mentioned your locality may or may not be as strict with such requirements. But hey, Fairfax like to give you the shaft any way they can.

JacquisPoni

imported post

Hi..

Yes $15.00 CASH...nothing more nothing less. The CITY of PORTSMOUTH copied my current CHP and I already came with the Application filled out..NOT SIGNED as they have to witness and notarize your signature on the application.

Like mentioned prior different localites different requirements I was just the experience with the City of Portsmouth. It is best to call the court that handles CHP in your area ahead of time to get the requirements.

I did not have to produce any form of proof of address other than my current driver's license. It was a piece of cake. I was completely surprised to be honest and almost expecting a hard time, this was not the case.

Jacqui

zoom6zoom

imported post

Ore wrote:
Hello,

Just finished renewing myself (Fairfax). Actually, you may have to turn in some paperwork besides the application and check. For example, they may want you to provide a copy of your current CHP and some form of proof of address, like a current utility bill.

Fairfax required Triple copies of the application, CHP, and proof of address. As mentioned your locality may or may not be as strict with such requirements. But hey, Fairfax like to give you the shaft any way they can.
Bottom line is they ARE NOT ALLOWED to ask for anything more than the state outlines. Every time someone gives in to these extra-legal requests it weakens preemption.

Ore

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Ore wrote:
Hello,

Bottom line is they ARE NOT ALLOWED to ask for anything more than the state outlines. Every time someone gives in to these extra-legal requests it weakens preemption.

Hey, thanks for beating up on me on my first post. Guess I should have just let my CHP lapse on principle, right? Give me a break.

Not that I like jumping through hoops, and I could be wrong, but I don't see anything in the law that says they can't ask for copies of the CHP, or proof of address; just that they can't require re-fingerprinting or re-taking of a safety class.

I will say this, though. Fairfax charged a $55 fee, which is $5 more than the specified maximum. Didn't realize it at the time, but that's out of line.

TFred

imported post

Ore wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
Ore wrote:
Hello,

Hey, thanks for beating up on me on my first post. Guess I should have just let my CHP lapse on principle, right? Give me a break.

Not that I like jumping through hoops, and I could be wrong, but I don't see anything in the law that says they can't ask for copies of the CHP, or proof of address; just that they can't require re-fingerprinting or re-taking of a safety class.

I will say this, though. Fairfax charged a $55 fee, which is $5 more than the specified maximum. Didn't realize it at the time, but that's out of line.
Don't take it personally. There is a lot of principle around here, but not in letting things go. Many localities have taken it upon themselves to add requirements that are not allowed in the CHP law. The code is what determines the process, anything extra is against the law. It really is that plain and simple.

The point being made here, and in many other threads on this forum (just saying yours is not the first) is that if we don't hold them to following the law, their little extras will just get bigger and bigger.

It's not a matter of complaining about you personally, but an attempt to protect all the folks who will come along after you.

TFred

Ore

imported post

TFred wrote:
Ore wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
Ore wrote:
Hello,

Don't take it personally. There is a lot of principle around here, but not in letting things go. Many localities have taken it upon themselves to add requirements that are not allowed in the CHP law. The code is what determines the process, anything extra is against the law. It really is that plain and simple.

The point being made here, and in many other threads on this forum (just saying yours is not the first) is that if we don't hold them to following the law, their little extras will just get bigger and bigger.

It's not a matter of complaining about you personally, but an attempt to protect all the folks who will come along after you.

TFred
Yes, I know. Not new to this game. I was in a bit of a rush with my latest renewal and didn't have time to scrutinize the situation.

Now that I have taken a closer look (which I must admit is thanks to this thread), I realize the following problems with my Fairfax renewal:

1. Fee $5 more than the code allows for

2. Expiration date 5 years from issue date, not from the expiration date of my old permit (cheated me out of a month).

So, what's your suggestion? Only thing I can think is report them to VCDL.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ore wrote:
Yes, I know. Not new to this game. I was in a bit of a rush with my latest renewal and didn't have time to scrutinize the situation.

Now that I have taken a closer look (which I must admit is thanks to this thread), I realize the following problems with my Fairfax renewal:

1. Fee $5 more than the code allows for

2. Expiration date 5 years from issue date, not from the expiration date of my old permit (cheated me out of a month).

So, what's your suggestion? Only thing I can think is report them to VCDL.
VCDL is only as strong as its individual members. Don't ask Mickie to do it - take the initiative.

Suggestions: Send a letter to the Clerk of Court requesting a $5.00 refund and that your permit be reissued with the correct expiration date. I would also add an enclosure/attachment giving specific reference to the statute for both instances.

The clerk's reply will then indicate what course of action (if any needed) should follow. There are options.

Yata hey