• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

45 GAP?

giaking70

imported post

theres nothing wrong with the .45 GAP that I can find. It has the same velocity as a .45 ACP round believe it or not, just not as bulky. I had been searching for a good .45 service pistol for quite some time before I bought the Glock 37. I love my Springfield Armory .1911 but its just a bit on the heavy side.
I looked at the Glock 21, just too big of a pistol for my hands. I looked at other makers, S&W, Kimber, Sig and just honestly wasnt impressed by their guns. Not saying anything wrong about those makers, they're outstanding, just not my preference.
The comes along the .45 GAP by Glock and thats what I was looking for. A smaller sized round essentially by looks, but you will be surprised of how well it shoots. The recoil is so minimal its like shooting a 9mm. Even right out of the box, I shot really good groupings from 25ft away, (not bragging) but it really does shoot nicely. I am just gonna say, its an all around great weapon and isn't the best, but I encourage to give it a chance. Go to your local range and give it a test run.
Officially, the Glock 37 in the officially issued weapon for some of the east coast area state troopers and city police, do your research if you think I am lying.

Have a great day all and praise the lord....now pass the ammo!

smash29

imported post

I'm just being a wise-ass. I think I will probably end up with a Glock in GAP, after I get my 26.

Unfortunately nobody has a .45 GAP for rent around here so I'll have to go on faith...

JB-Indiana

imported post

Agree with those above. Nothing wrong with the .45 GAP, but I see it as no advantage over the .45 ACP, and with several disadvantages, including longevity, as mentioned above.

JB-Indiana

imported post

Fine looking weapon (although obviously, it looks quite similar to my own Glock).

No betrating from me, Smash. If you like the .45 GAP, it's all good in my book. My only concern if I owned one might be a limited supply of ammo for it, down the road. Maybe not of course, but it's why I just prefer the .45 ACP.

smash29

imported post

Yeah, I'm keeping the ammo thing in mind, maybe this will be what pushes me into reloading. I was able to find some bulk GAP Gold Dots that were significantly cheaper than ACP and I'm going to head out to GA Arms tomorrow to pick up a bunch more range ammo so I'll make sure to save my casings for future use.

As I said, I just love the compact frame size but I don't care for the .40 (at least in polymer) so this is a good compromise for me if I want a more powerful cartridge. I know I could get used to the larger frames of the 21 and/or 30 if I wanted to but this one just feels right straight out of the box. Looking forward to hunting some paper zombies tomorrow!

JB-Indiana

imported post

That's basically how I've picked out whatever handguns I have.

I decide what caliber I'm looking for, then I head off to the local shop and just put 'em in my hand. I usually disregard the real cheap stuff, for obvious reasons, then just decide by which one just seems to "sit on target", if that makes any sense.

Whichever make / model seems to point most naturally for me, which might be vastly different for you, that's the one I just know I'm going to be able to "naturally" hit with.

Of course, running a few hundred rounds a week at "paper zombies" doesn't hurt, either. But when I don't have to "fight" against the design of the weapon to keep it on sight, it makes it a whole lot easier to hit the X / 5 / 10 ring consistently.

My personal goal is to be able to keep, say 6 or so (depending on the weapon capacity) rapid fire and somewhere in a 6" or so circle, at 7 yards. Better is, of course, always better.

Once I can do that consistently, then and only then do I add it to my list of "carry guns". It's pretty much just all about trigger pull and sight alignment (particularly the front sight), anyway. So it doesn't seem to matter too much whether it's a 9mm, .38 / .357, .40, .45, or .44 (the most powerful I have. I don't have any hunting handguns like the S&W .500). I'm sort of "anti-hunting", for ME. Not that I condemn anyone else that likes to hunt, if that's their thing. It just isn't a big turn on for me.

smash29

imported post

I'mREALLYlikingmy new toy, I was more accurate withit than I was with the 9mm and the holes were sooooo much bigger!!!

:celebrate

I'm really surprised at how much of a difference I felt between the 185gr and 200gr ammo though. The 185 felt alot like a +P 9mm so I'll probably stick with that...

giaking70

imported post

hey Smash,
congrats on your new..uh hmm...baby there, she sure is a beauty. I'm glad you like the G38. Was just a bit too small for my hands, that's why I got the G37. Here's a pic of my baby as well...:)

moz-screenshot.jpg