• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Store Issues in Spokane

Vandal

imported post

I will try to make a long story short. Today I went to Spokane from Pullman with a good friend of mine. We went to Sharpshooting Range and Gun Store in Spokane so he could buy a XD9 Sub-Compact that he had them holding onto for him. I took my XD45 with me because, well it goes everywhere with me when I leave the house. I OCd to Spokane too.

We entered the store and I had my XD holstered but openly carried. I have done this in every Idaho gun shop I have been in with no problems, to include both Cabelas locations. The two of us were in the store for about 15 minutes while my friend was filling out the paperwork. During that time I was looking at other weapons I have thought about adding to my small collection as well as looking at bags. The employee who was talking guns with me was very nice and said nothing about my OCing. They do have a sign on the door that says firearms must be unloaded and cased. I asked if keeping my weapon holstered would be ok and was told I would be fine.

Fast forward about 5 minutes and I was standing in one of the aisles with 2 XD45 13 round mags in my hand with every intention of buying them, just shy of 50 bucks worth of magazines when one of the store employees hollers across the store to me "Will you cover that up?" He was not the man who was showing me firearms and answering my questions 5 minutes earlier. I had been polite and professional my entire time in the store.
I looked around the store and there were other customers in there as well as having nearly all of the employees were OCing. Needless to say I was confused and a bit embarassed for being singled out. Being the nice guy I am I covered my XD and then put the magazines back on the shelf. My friend left with his new XD9sc and I just left to never return.

We can now add Sharpshooting in Spokane to the Gun Friendly but not OC friendly list and based on the lack of tact of their one employee I will not be returning to their place of business.

thewise1

imported post

I was in Spokane shooting with my best friend, who had just bought an XD 9mm, and we went there. Discussed OC, the guy strongly discouraged us and tried to imply it was illegal, but then backpedaled and just said we'll be harassed and it's a bad idea.

We left and shot on public land instead

David.Car

imported post

This has been discussed extensively in the past. The owner has stated that they don't allow OC of visitors because they don't want to scare away all the new shooters they get in... The stupidity of the idea that people would be scared away from guns at a gun store / range is apparently not that obvious to them.

Anyways, they have a huge stop sign on the enterance that says no firearms outside of a case anyways... It is hard to miss... Literally is a stop sign...

just_a_car

imported post

Hrm, I seem to recall that someone here was trying to talk to/work with the owner of Sharpshooting to work out whether she really wanted to have her store put on the DNP List (which is why I held off on placing it there), but I don't think we ever heard the result.

It's looking more and more like they deserve to be on the DNP List, even if the owner is "one of the good guys" and puts a lot of effort into protecting our 2A rights. I don't really understand how she can fight for them, but then think those rights are elitist and can only be excercised by a certain group of people (i.e. her employees).

David.Car

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Hrm, I seem to recall that someone here was trying to talk to/work with the owner of Sharpshooting to work out whether she really wanted to have her store put on the DNP List (which is why I held off on placing it there), but I don't think we ever heard the result.

It's looking more and more like they deserve to be on the DNP List, even if the owner is "one of the good guys" and puts a lot of effort into protecting our 2A rights. I don't really understand how she can fight for them, but then think those rights are elitist and can only be excercised by a certain group of people (i.e. her employees).

At that point Robin was claiming to still be looking into the options and talking to other store owners and such... There decision was to remain CC or sealed case only...

It is a DNP business as far as I am concerned.

adamsesq

imported post

We have a gun store down here in Hillsboro, Oregon that has a similar sign. Last time I was there I stood at the door as if I just saw the sign and shouted (loud enough to be heard but still very very polite) "I am confused, do you want my business or not? This sign says you only want my business if I give up the right to defend myself and you surely can't mean that do you?" My experience is the response to that will usually be "come on in" and will open up a good dialouge about the sign. If not, I don't want to spend my $ there!

-adamsesq

just_a_car

imported post

David.Car wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

At that point Robin was claiming to still be looking into the options and talking to other store owners and such... There decision was to remain CC or sealed case only...

It is a DNP business as far as I am concerned.
That's as I remember it also... *sigh*

I really hate putting gun stores (of all businesses) onto the DNP List. I hope someone informs Robin that her tunnel-visioned view of the world has gotten her business placed on the DNP List.
:banghead: