• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL in Ottawa County

custom.45acp

imported post

This might be a topic already discussed but what types of questions do they ask when I go for my CPL in front of the gun board?

And why the heck was it set in Grand Haven if I applied in Holland?

Thanks

Anywho else have a corky stories about their gun board review?

Are there any stories from the Michigan site about people having to un-holster their firearm as trouble was beginning or actually have to fire it?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
This might be a topic already discussed but what types of questions do they ask when I go for my CPL in front of the gun board?

Thanks
I wasn't asked anything. Generally it's an opportunity for the board to meet you and answer questions you may have as a group. They will explain some of the law as a reminder. Some people were single out and were asked for some clarification but generally it's smooth sailing at that point.

Generally the board meets at the courthouse or other government building in the county seat.

SQLtables

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:

Thanks
Everybody that went in front of the gunboard in Saginaw county when I got my CPL was asked why they wanted a CPL (you do not need any answer other than "because") we also had to list 3 or 4 of the places off-limits to concealed carry.

ght1098

imported post

When I got mine they asked the same questions that are on the application, felonies, mental status, etc. No big deal. When your done with the gun board you can walk up to the clerks office and walk out with your cpl.

custom.45acp

imported post

ght1098

I see you're from Grand Haven, where is the court house? I just moved to Holland a few years ago from that Great Gun State of Illinois and I'm not really fimilar with my surroundings just quite yet.

Thanks

ght1098

imported post

414 Washington, google it for an overhead view which will give you a good idea of what I'm trying to convey.

You will have to enter off of 4th street due to all of the construction on the new court house. You can park in the lot to the South of the building across Franklin St or if there is room, people have been using the post office lot to the West across 4th St.

Don't bring any knives, weapons, etc. they have a metal detector at the door and won't let you in.

custom.45acp

imported post

Gun board this week in Ottawa County, any last suggestions or comments?

Can I load in the car and then start carrying? (after I have my license, that is.)
:( :arrow: :) :arrow: :D :arrow: :lol: :arrow::what::arrow: :arrow: :celebrate

warlockmatized

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
Gun board this week in Ottawa County, any last suggestions or comments?

Can I load in the car and then start carrying? (after I have my license, that is.)
:( :arrow: :) :arrow: :D :arrow: :lol: :arrow::what::arrow: :arrow: :celebrate
My gun was cased and locked and sitting in the car while I met with the board. once I left with CPL in hand, I unlocked case, loaded mag, inserted mag, stuck pistol in my holster, put holster on hip and drove away.

custom.45acp

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
My gun was cased and locked and sitting in the car while I met with the board. once I left with CPL in hand, I unlocked case, loaded mag, inserted mag, stuck pistol in my holster, put holster on hip and drove away.

You did this while sitting in your car outside the Court House/Police Department? WOW! Did you stop and walk around town to do a little OCing while you were there?

Thanks for the advice.

custom.45acp

imported post

Today's the big day. I go before the board. Coming from Illinois, this is a big step in the right direction, finally able to protect myself and my family anywhere I/we go.