Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 89

Thread: Do Not Speak to Law Enforcement Following A Shooting

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    259

    Post imported post

    I came across this the other day, a very good read:

    " This topic had been brought up a while back and the consensus was pretty back and forth as to whether or not to speak with the Police after a shooting.

    First off : I am an LEO. The following are my opinions only and are not intended to reflect the feelings of other LEO's or act as a guide for what to do after a shooting. This is nothing more than my take and as big boys and girls you need to make your own decision on the matter.

    Secondly: I am a member of an organization in my state which basically can be described as Lawyer Insurance. I pay quarterly dues and in turn, they provide me with legal representation in the event I am being hassled by my agency, sued civily and/or facing criminal prosecution as a result of my actions while in an official capacity. Also, if in the event of a shooting, whether on or off duty, they will have a lawyer at my side within 1 hour, regardless of the time of day/night.

    Here's my take, as an LEO, on speaking with the Police after a shooting: DON'T.

    1. When a Police Officer (or anyone else for that matter) has been in a high stress situation, such as a shooting, it is recommended not to write our reports until a day or two has gone by. This is because immediately after the incident, our minds are racing with "OMG I almost died!" types of thoughts, etc.

    After a few days, and calming, one is much more able to think clearly and put the chain of events into words.

    2.Anything you say, whether before or after your Miranda Rights are read, can and will be used against you in court. Statements are not always put into context by the Police, they are just listed. So statements such as "The Mother Effer came at me with a knife so I killed him" will be put in the report and you will get to explain to a jury why you used those words. They are not going to be too concerned with the fact you just fought for your life and were amped up, but more concerned with why you used the language you did.

    Also, just because you have not been advised of your Miranda Rights does not mean you should speak. Police only have to advised you of Miranda if you are placed into custody, taken from one place to another (talking at the station), or placed in a situation where a "reasonable" person would not feel free to leave. So statements you make to the police while sitting on your couch in your house when they ask "Can you tell me why there is a dead guy on your front porch?" will also be used. So choose your words wisely.

    The way you describe the chain of events leading to your use of deadly force, while it may seem innocent and honorable enough to you, may not sit so well with the Officer interviewing you, or the jury hearing the case. This can be avoided by letting your Lawyer coach you on how to better give your side of the story. Perception is everything, and even though you are the good guy, you need to be "percieved" as the good guy.

    3. The Police are not going to be your advocate. We will try to find out the truth based on the evidence, witnesses and your statements. If all that leads to enough probable cause to charge you, guess what, you have much larger troubles now. There are many a District Attourney out there looking to make a name for him/herself, and there have been enought cops and citizens who have stood trial for a "good" shooting to prove it. If any of you have read Massad Ayoob's columns in the gun magazines, you know he frequently speaks about covering one's hind quarters in court, both before and after a shooting.

    In asking to speak with a lawyer before making a statement, you give yourself an opportunity to cool down, sort out in your own head what just happened, and run it past a person who is YOUR advocate and has YOUR best interests at heart. Not to mention a person who is trained in the law and can help make you look like the good citizen you are, and not a gun toting Rambo the public/DA's office may see you to be.

    4. Choosing to speak with a lawyer does not automatically tell the Police your are guilty. When dealing with a "suspect" who refuses comment and asks for a lawyer, it tells me either they've been through this before or they more than likely are guilty. The key word is "suspect." When honest Joe Citizen who just waxed some crook tells me he/she wishes to speak with a lawyer it tells me someone has done their homework.

    5. In the event I am in a shooting, I WILL NOT speak to ANYONE without my lawyer present. Not my chief, best friend, etc. It doesn't matter if the shoot is clearly a good shoot, I'm still going to run everything past my lawyer who is there for me and only me. Why? My agency will only be looking to see if my actions will cost them $ or cause them to be held liable in any way. Once they find they are in the clear, I'm on my own.

    For those of you not in the LEO business, you're just on your own, period. In these days of liberal judges/juries and law suit hungry people, you need to protect yourself and your family the best you can.

    My recommendation to people who carry a gun for protection, or have a gun in the home for the same purpose. Find a lawyer who has some experience in criminal defense. Alot of these people offer free consultations. Find one you have confidence in and can trust. It may take a while and several referrals, but once you've got one, keep them. Speak with your lawyer about his or her recommendations for you in the event you are involved in a shooting and get some 24/7 contact information for them so you can contact them right away should the need arise.

    I'm not writing this in an effort to paint us LEO's as the bad guys, or try to create a feeling of fear or distrust for Law Enforcement. I'm only writing this because I feel every person carrying gun for self-defense needs to be prepared, both for the incident itself and the aftermath. I don't want anyone to get jammed up for something when they didn't do wrong. I honestly feel your consulting a lawyer before making a statement to the Police will help keep you from getting jammed up needlessly.

    Finally, I, as an LEO, have the lawyers on stand-by in the event I'm involved in a shooting, so that in itself should say alot."

  2. #2
    mdgary
    Guest

    Post imported post

    Let's say I shoot someone in clean "good shoot" self defense situation andLEO arrives on the scene. He will be asking questions to me, How shouldI respond without putting myself in a tense situation with the officer?

    I guesswhat I'm asking is word for word what do I say to the officer when he asks for my side ofstory ?

    P.S. I already have a lawyer on stand by....

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    BrianEMT quoted:
    SNIP " This topic had been brought up a while back and the consensus was pretty back and forth as to whether or not to speak with the Police after a shooting.
    This info aligns with stuff I've read elsewhere.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    mdgary wrote:
    Let's say I shoot someone in clean "good shoot" self defense situation andLEO arrives on the scene. He will be asking questions to me, How shouldI respond without putting myself in a tense situation with the officer?

    I guesswhat I'm asking is word for word what do I say to the officer when he asks for my side ofstory ?
    "Officer, that man there (point to dead body) attacked me with that knife (point to knife). I will glady sign a complaint."

    "Officer, we both understand this is a very serious matter. I will make a full written statement after consulting with my attorney."

    It would probably be smart to ask your attorney.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Illinois, USA
    Posts
    778

    Post imported post

    I am not even sure why this comes up at all. Of course you should talk to your lawyer before talking to police.

    Personally,I think defense lawyers should hand out their business cards and on the back it should say.
    Officer:
    1. I do not consent to any search of my person, property, residence, or vehicle.

    2. I do not wish to answer any questions untilI have consulted with my attorney.
    You would not even have to say anything at all. Just show the police your card.

  6. #6
    mdgary
    Guest

    Post imported post

    ilbob wrote:
    I am not even sure why this comes up at all. Of course you should talk to your lawyer before talking to police.

    Personally,I think defense lawyers should hand out their business cards and on the back it should say.
    Officer:
    1. I do not consent to any search of my person, property, residence, or vehicle.

    2. I do not wish to answer any questions untilI have consulted with my attorney.
    You would not even have to say anything at all. Just show the police your card.
    It's that simple huh?

    Do you just hand them the card, go home ,sit back and wait on your attorney?

    Or

    Do you get detained or arrested or what?





  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    mdgary wrote:
    Let's say I shoot someone in clean "good shoot" self defense situation andLEO arrives on the scene. He will be asking questions to me, How shouldI respond without putting myself in a tense situation with the officer?
    Well, I would think that if you just shot somebody and the police arrive, you are already in a tense situation with the officer.



  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    376

    Post imported post

    Good grief, why do you guys have to make this hard?

    Here is all that you ever need to say to the police,ever, ever, ever in any and all circumstances:

    Do you suspect me of a crime?

    Am I free to go?

    I do not consent to any searches.


    I would like a lawyer.

    End of discussion. If you say anything else, you are just flirting with danger. Shut your mouth. Some people can't resist. They just have to talk. Stop talking and shut your mouth.


    Word for word, that is all you ever have to say or should say. You don't have to tell them your name in most places.



  9. #9
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Post imported post

    Unfortunately the right to remain silent isn't exercised enough! We all have the right, many don't have the sense or the ability to!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Holloman AFB, , USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    yep, i pretty much screwed myself with that one. i wasn't involved with a shooting but, in my situation if i had kept my mouth shut besides the words "i want my lawyer", i'd be in better shape i think.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    mdgary wrote:
    SNIP It's that simple huh?

    Do you just hand them the card, go home ,sit back and wait on your attorney?

    Or Do you get detained or arrested or what?
    There are some very important things to know. An internet forum isn't the best place. As you can see in the thread, there are already some off-beat suggestions creeping in.

    Seek books on self-defense with firearms. Paladin Press and Gun Laws.com will have some.

    Expect to get arrested and have your firearm confiscated. It may not happen that way, but be ready for it to occur. The police show up and see a dead body, and a guy with a gun who says it was self-defense.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    In my self defense class, they instructed us to tell the police "I was attacked and defended myself, I have nothing further to say at this time without talking to a lawyer". They made us recite that into a fake phone for a fake 911 call, as well as directions to the location, after having got into a really nasty sparring match with padded instuctors. It sticks with you after you do it that way.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Springfield45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    299

    Post imported post

    Michigander wrote:
    SNIP "I was attacked and defended myself, I have nothing further to say at this time without talking to a lawyer".
    I think this Is the statement I would most likely make .... and NOTHING more until the attorney arrived ......

    ~~Springfield

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    150

    Post imported post

    "I was attacked and defended myself, I have nothing further to say at this time without talking to a lawyer".
    I wouldn't even say that much. You have no idea what a witness to the incident will say:

    Witness: "I saw that guy (you) draw a weapon and shoot that other guy (bad guy)."

    Cop: "Did you see the other guy (bad guy) with a gun and point it at that guy (you)?"

    Witness: "No, it was dark." (cop writes down "no aggressive action by dead guy")

    By saying you defended yourself you admit to aggressive action, even though you deem it defensive. Why give a DA any fuel for false prosecution? The second half of your sentence should be all you say in my IANAL opinion. Either way I'm sure your weapon will be taken and you'll take a ride downtown.




  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    You gotta do what you feel will be best for you in whatever situation you find yourself in, but do keep in mind, if you shoot someone in self defense, and no one else is around, it will be up to you to get ahold of the police.
    (Sarcasm on)

    Those court opinions that say the gov't has no duty to protect me make me wonder why I would have a duty to notify them I protected myself. They've basically said its not their problem.

    "911? Yeah, some dude got waxed over on 34th and Camden.No, I don't need assistance. I'm just telling you so you can clean up thebody before itgets too smelly."

    (sarcasm off)

    Its best to call the police. Its going to look really, really bad if you don't and they track it back to you, justified shooting or not. Plus, I can't imagine there aren't statutes requiring reporting a death or serious injury.

    Edited to Add: Hmmmmm. I wonder where the 5th Amendment fits into this. Could the gov't compel you to report a defensive shooting? Given that you are basically setting yourself up for prosecution by admitting homicide or aggravated assault, and putting yourself in the position of having to prove it was self-defense, I wonder how the 5th Amendment would apply.
    IANAL
    You don't have to admit anything. . .

    911: "Whats your emergency?"

    You: "There has been a shooting at [location]. Police and ambulance assistance requested."

    You have not addmitted ANYTHING but informed the "authorities".

    Maybe provide a brief description of yourself and any other persons, maybe even a location you might be at so they don't mistake you...

    Strange...how do I post before the post I am responding to? Daylight svings time messing up the server perhaps?

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Theseus wrote:
    SNIP Strange...how do I post before the post I am responding to? Daylight svings time messing up the server perhaps?
    Yeah, you! Quit quoting me before I've even posted what you quote. Creepy. Really creepy.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    You gotta do what you feel will be best for you in whatever situation you find yourself in, but do keep in mind, if you shoot someone in self defense, and no one else is around, it will be up to you to get ahold of the police.

    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Michigander wrote:
    You gotta do what you feel will be best for you in whatever situation you find yourself in, but do keep in mind, if you shoot someone in self defense, and no one else is around, it will be up to you to get ahold of the police.
    (Sarcasm on)

    Those court opinions that say the gov't has no duty to protect me make me wonder why I would have a duty to notify them I protected myself. They've basically said its not their problem.

    "911? Yeah, some dude got waxed over on 34th and Camden.No, I don't need assistance. I'm just telling you so you can clean up thebody before itgets too smelly."

    (sarcasm off)

    Its best to call the police. Its going to look really, really bad if you don't and they track it back to you, justified shooting or not. Plus, I can't imagine there aren't statutes requiring reporting a death or serious injury.

    Edited to Add: Hmmmmm. I wonder where the 5th Amendment fits into this. Could the gov't compel you to report a defensive shooting? Given that you are basically setting yourself up for prosecution by admitting homicide or aggravated assault, and putting yourself in the position of having to prove it was self-defense, I wonder how the 5th Amendment would apply.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran kimbercarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    721

    Post imported post

    Masaad Ayoob had an article earlier this year in American Handgunner about talking to the police after a shooting . He layed out a 5 point response you should give to the police. I left the magazine at work so I can't tell you what was said accurately so I won't try and get it wrong.

    But he did say nottlking to the police at all was not a good thing.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    my call to 911 -> "There's been a shooting at such and such address. Send an ambulance." HANG UP PHONE

    When the cops get there, the only thing out of my mouth is going to be, "I'd like to speak with my lawyer."
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  21. #21
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    Why does one even need to say there was a shooting? Just call 911 and say there has been an attack, give them the location, and hang up.Let them figure it out. When the the police show up an start asking questions, inform them that you have nothing to say. Let your attorney handle all the talking with the cops. NOTHING you say can ever help you!

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...02514885833865

  22. #22
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    edit: moved to VA forum.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230

    Post imported post

    BrianEMT wrote:
    I came across this the other day, a very good read:

    " This topic had been brought up a while back and the consensus was pretty back and forth as to whether or not to speak with the Police after a shooting.

    First off : I am an LEO. The following are my opinions only and are not intended to reflect the feelings of other LEO's or act as a guide for what to do after a shooting. This is nothing more than my take and as big boys and girls you need to make your own decision on the matter.

    Secondly: I am a member of an organization in my state which basically can be described as Lawyer Insurance. I pay quarterly dues and in turn, they provide me with legal representation in the event I am being hassled by my agency, sued civily and/or facing criminal prosecution as a result of my actions while in an official capacity. Also, if in the event of a shooting, whether on or off duty, they will have a lawyer at my side within 1 hour, regardless of the time of day/night.

    Here's my take, as an LEO, on speaking with the Police after a shooting: DON'T.

    1. When a Police Officer (or anyone else for that matter) has been in a high stress situation, such as a shooting, it is recommended not to write our reports until a day or two has gone by. This is because immediately after the incident, our minds are racing with "OMG I almost died!" types of thoughts, etc.

    After a few days, and calming, one is much more able to think clearly and put the chain of events into words.

    2.Anything you say, whether before or after your Miranda Rights are read, can and will be used against you in court. Statements are not always put into context by the Police, they are just listed. So statements such as "The Mother Effer came at me with a knife so I killed him" will be put in the report and you will get to explain to a jury why you used those words. They are not going to be too concerned with the fact you just fought for your life and were amped up, but more concerned with why you used the language you did.

    Also, just because you have not been advised of your Miranda Rights does not mean you should speak. Police only have to advised you of Miranda if you are placed into custody, taken from one place to another (talking at the station), or placed in a situation where a "reasonable" person would not feel free to leave. So statements you make to the police while sitting on your couch in your house when they ask "Can you tell me why there is a dead guy on your front porch?" will also be used. So choose your words wisely.

    The way you describe the chain of events leading to your use of deadly force, while it may seem innocent and honorable enough to you, may not sit so well with the Officer interviewing you, or the jury hearing the case. This can be avoided by letting your Lawyer coach you on how to better give your side of the story. Perception is everything, and even though you are the good guy, you need to be "percieved" as the good guy.

    3. The Police are not going to be your advocate. We will try to find out the truth based on the evidence, witnesses and your statements. If all that leads to enough probable cause to charge you, guess what, you have much larger troubles now. There are many a District Attourney out there looking to make a name for him/herself, and there have been enought cops and citizens who have stood trial for a "good" shooting to prove it. If any of you have read Massad Ayoob's columns in the gun magazines, you know he frequently speaks about covering one's hind quarters in court, both before and after a shooting.

    In asking to speak with a lawyer before making a statement, you give yourself an opportunity to cool down, sort out in your own head what just happened, and run it past a person who is YOUR advocate and has YOUR best interests at heart. Not to mention a person who is trained in the law and can help make you look like the good citizen you are, and not a gun toting Rambo the public/DA's office may see you to be.

    4. Choosing to speak with a lawyer does not automatically tell the Police your are guilty. When dealing with a "suspect" who refuses comment and asks for a lawyer, it tells me either they've been through this before or they more than likely are guilty. The key word is "suspect." When honest Joe Citizen who just waxed some crook tells me he/she wishes to speak with a lawyer it tells me someone has done their homework.

    5. In the event I am in a shooting, I WILL NOT speak to ANYONE without my lawyer present. Not my chief, best friend, etc. It doesn't matter if the shoot is clearly a good shoot, I'm still going to run everything past my lawyer who is there for me and only me. Why? My agency will only be looking to see if my actions will cost them $ or cause them to be held liable in any way. Once they find they are in the clear, I'm on my own.

    For those of you not in the LEO business, you're just on your own, period. In these days of liberal judges/juries and law suit hungry people, you need to protect yourself and your family the best you can.

    My recommendation to people who carry a gun for protection, or have a gun in the home for the same purpose. Find a lawyer who has some experience in criminal defense. Alot of these people offer free consultations. Find one you have confidence in and can trust. It may take a while and several referrals, but once you've got one, keep them. Speak with your lawyer about his or her recommendations for you in the event you are involved in a shooting and get some 24/7 contact information for them so you can contact them right away should the need arise.

    I'm not writing this in an effort to paint us LEO's as the bad guys, or try to create a feeling of fear or distrust for Law Enforcement. I'm only writing this because I feel every person carrying gun for self-defense needs to be prepared, both for the incident itself and the aftermath. I don't want anyone to get jammed up for something when they didn't do wrong. I honestly feel your consulting a lawyer before making a statement to the Police will help keep you from getting jammed up needlessly.

    Finally, I, as an LEO, have the lawyers on stand-by in the event I'm involved in a shooting, so that in itself should say alot."
    This is pretty much the EXACT same thing my firearms instructor said today in class. It was pretty straightforward and simple--do not speak to the police until you have spoken to your atty. Keep your mouth shut, refuse consent to search, and say NOTHING without your atty present.

    He also said line up a good criminal defense atty, and have his/her number programmed into your phone mobile phone.

    He said make no statements period until you speak with your lawyer, and let them do the talking for you.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    Here's the other thing that many people just don't get...

    Miranda... everything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

    Notice what it DOES NOT say? Doesn't say that anything you say can be used FOR you / your benefit.

    The videoa few posts above goes into specific detail why talking with the Police can only hurt you. Talking with the Police doesn't exonerate you. Investigation and the courts can exonerate you. Blabbing away at the Police will at best keep you neutral in the case. It often goes much worse.

    One of the examples given in that video was asking the students how many drove to class. Then asking how many took I-64. Then asking how many went over 55 mph. Then all those that answered were told they failed. They admitted to wrong doing purely accidentally. Giving a confession (intentional or accidental, truthful or not) to the Police does you no good. The Detective in the video even pointed that out.

    But hey, IANAL. You each have to do what is best for you. Me, I'll tell the officers asking me questions that I need to consult my lawyer before making any statements. But if I'm reporting a crime (like the drunk & high driver that ploughed into my wife's legally parked car and totalled it), you betcha I'm talking with the Police.

    But in a case where I might be the person getting charged with a crime, I'm talking with a lawyer first.


    Edited for clarity.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    codename_47 wrote:
    Good grief, why do you guys have to make this hard?

    Here is all that you ever need to say to the police,ever, ever, ever in any and all circumstances:

    Do you suspect me of a crime?

    Am I free to go?

    I do not consent to any searches.


    I would like a lawyer.

    End of discussion. If you say anything else, you are just flirting with danger. Shut your mouth. Some people can't resist. They just have to talk. Stop talking and shut your mouth.


    Word for word, that is all you ever have to say or should say. You don't have to tell them your name in most places.

    I concur. Sage advice, truly.

    -ljp

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •