• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

weapons on school property

M

mdgary

imported post

Carrying weapons on school property, Is this a violation of SECTION 16-23-430.

I pick my child up at school and go hunting. Therefor I have my Rifle and Pistol in my truck on school property. But neither is on my person. Am I breaking any laws?

PT111

imported post

SECTION 16-23-420. Carrying or displaying firearms in public buildings or areas adjacent thereto.
(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post-secondary institution, or in any publicly-owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property.
Yes you are breaking the law. The only exception to this is:

(E) For purposes of this section, the terms "premises" and "property" do not include state or locally owned or maintained roads, streets, or rights-of-way of them, running through or adjacent to premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, or other post-secondary institution, which are open full time to public vehicular traffic.
It would not be a violation on 16-23-430 but would be a violation of 16-23-420.

M

mdgary

imported post

When I was in high school my friends andI would have rifles in a gun rack in the back glass of our trucks and never had anyone to say anything about it. We parked in the school parking lots.. Guess I need to talk with the head man at school.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

mdgary wrote:
When I was in high school my friends andI would have rifles in a gun rack in the back glass of our trucks and never had anyone to say anything about it. We parked in the school parking lots.. Guess I need to talk with the head man at school.

This might sound like a stupid question, but, here it goes: "Will you be asking the Principal, the person in charge of the Board of Education, or the Governor?" The reason I ask is because I am not sure who would actually be in charge per se. I believe it would be the Principal, but, in actuality, it could be the BoE (I am just not certain). Does the Principal seek permission from the BoE? Is permission granted by the Governor? Just curious.

2nd Amendment........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

M

mdgary

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
mdgary wrote:

This might sound like a stupid question, but, here it goes: "Will you be asking the Principal, the person in charge of the Board of Education, or the Governor?" The reason I ask is because I am not sure who would actually be in charge per se. I believe it would be the Principal, but, in actuality, it could be the BoE (I am just not certain). Does the Principal seek permission from the BoE? Is permission granted by the Governor? Just courious.

snip...
without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well since the principal is in charge of the premises I will start there.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

mdgary wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
mdgary wrote:

This might sound like a stupid question, but, here it goes: "Will you be asking the Principal, the person in charge of the Board of Education, or the Governor?" The reason I ask is because I am not sure who would actually be in charge per se. I believe it would be the Principal, but, in actuality, it could be the BoE (I am just not certain). Does the Principal seek permission from the BoE? Is permission granted by the Governor? Just courious.

snip...
without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well since the principal is in charge of the premises I will start there.

Works for me. Let us know how that turns out. Thanks in advance!

2nd Amendment...........Use it...........Or, lose it!!:X

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
Local police sargeant here tells me they are trying to get a law passed that carrying around and in schools will be legal. He said he thinks its a great idea.
I haven't been a resident of SC and permitted to carry there for some years, but ISTR that a SC CWP has at least some access while armed to school grounds.

LEO are not necessarily your best source of legal advice nor your 'friend'. Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting world view.

GRGRSC can speak authoritatively on the matter.

AllAmerican

imported post

Though I certainly agree with you on law enforcement, I live in a tiny rural community. Having said that, this particular officer teaches the CCW class here and no one has ever failed the class. His exact words to me on the subject of CC is

"Anyone legal to carry should carry and always carry"

I dont think he has a problem telling us whats up.

Our locals also post things in the paper like "there are x number of people in the county who have CC permits and are armed. Criminals Beware."

They feel it makes the crooks move on to other places.

PT111

imported post

H. 3964 wan introduced in the SC house last session but wound up being sent back to committee to die. It started out as permission for CWP holder's to carry on School gorunds but made it to the house floor very watered down so a last second amendment was offered to make SC a "Vermont Carry" type state rather than allowing a watered down version pass. I contacted my Represenative about it and he assurred me that it would be reintroduced in the upcoming session and felt that some version would pass. I know that the college Presidents in SC are against it but think that some form will pass during the next session. However there is no reason to think that a "Vermont Carry" type bill will ever even make it to the SC House floor for a vote much less the SC Senate.

AllAmerican

imported post

PT111 wrote:
H. 3964 wan introduced in the SC house last session but wound up being sent back to committee to die. It started out as permission for CWP holder's to carry on School gorunds but made it to the house floor very watered down so a last second amendment was offered to make SC a "Vermont Carry" type state rather than allowing a watered down version pass. I contacted my Represenative about it and he assurred me that it would be reintroduced in the upcoming session and felt that some version would pass. I know that the college Presidents in SC are against it but think that some form will pass during the next session. However there is no reason to think that a "Vermont Carry" type bill will ever even make it to the SC House floor for a vote much less the SC Senate.
Shame really. So every time I pick my kid up at school Ill be violating the law.