• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You awaken to a crashing sound, you grab your gun, then you hear multiple shouts of POLICE!

open4years

imported post

After hearing the crashing sound (your front door being knocked down), you hear multiple shouts of "POLICE!" WHAT WOULD YOU DO NEXT?

Somecriminals shout "POLICE" when entering a home they think is vacant. Some even dress as LEO (anyone can buy it all on the net) to fool you and your neighbors, who would otherwise call the real police.

How would you handle such a situation? Do you have a choice?

(Don't think this could happen? It does and it has happened in my city.)

open4years

p.s. How does one edit the topic? There are a few letters after police that I didn't mean to put there but I can't find a way to edit them out.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

open4years wrote:
After hearing the crashing sound (your front door being knocked down), you hear multiple shouts of "POLICE!" WHAT WOULD YOU DO NEXT?

Somecriminals shout "POLICE" when entering a home they think is vacant. Some even dress as LEO (anyone can buy it all on the net) to fool you and your neighbors, who would otherwise call the real police.

open4years
Baracade yourself as best as possible, yell 'Get out I'm calling the police and I am armed', dial 911. The dispatcher can tell you if they are real.

A better solution may be to fortify your house so bad guys can't just kick your doors in.

open4years

imported post

longwatch wrote:
open4years wrote:

open4years
Baracade yourself as best as possible, yell 'Get out I'm calling the police and I am armed', dial 911. The dispatcher can tell you if they are real.

A better solution may be to fortify your house so bad guys can't just kick your doors in.
Longwatch, we think alike. Did you read my "panic room" post? As for a door that can't be kicked in, I don't believe there is such a door, unless yourdoors look like bank vault doors. You can also buy the battering rams that police use. (When I say "kicked," I mean knocked down my any means.)

open4years

M

mdgary

imported post

Get to know people in LE, I have several friends in two counties that I border ,I know these guys on a personal level some even live in my neighborhood. they would deffinetly come to me face to face before raiding my house. that said .I would just start shooting..

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

open4years wrote:
longwatch wrote:
open4years wrote:

open4years

Longwatch, we think alike. Did you read my "panic room" post? As for a door that can't be kicked in, I don't believe there is such a door, unless yourdoors look like bank vault doors. You can also buy the battering rams that police use. (When I say "kicked," I mean knocked down my any means.)

open4years
Nothing manmade is undefeatable, my years as a combat engineer have taught me that. However, you can install doors and bars (not vault like) that will buy enough time for real LEOs to arrive before bad guys can get in or let you determine if they are in fact LEOs.

open4years

imported post

mdgary wrote:
Get to know people in LE, I have several friends in two counties that I border ,I know these guys on a personal level some even live in my neighborhood. they would deffinetly come to me face to face before raiding my house. that said .I would just start shooting..

I've already done so and I know most LEO in our city police department and our Sheriff's deparment including the Chief of Police and the Sheriff. However, I've met very few of the narcotics squad because I don't enounter them doing what I do.

I'm sure that you have read of cases such as the 92 year old woman who was shot at about 39 times. (I think) Her crime? A informant said he purchased dope there and the LEOs got a no-knock warrant. They knocked down her door. She must have thought bad guys were coming in to get her as she fired one shot (that didn't hit anyone) from a rusty revolver. Even though most of the 39 rounds missed their target, enough did and she died.

Finding no dope in the house, a LEO planted some. His case is being tried now but not for killing her, for planting evidence.

Only the officers, and her, know if they identified themselves before she fired. Heck, I might have fired too in that situation. Imagine being awakened by a loud noise and seeing figures rapidly approaching you. You're not fully awake yet you have to instantly decide whether to shoot. I probably would have shot too.

open4years

codename_47

imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston

Kathryn Johnson was murdered by cops who falsified a warrent.

In an attempt to justify the no-knock warrant, the Atlanta Police Department initially claimed that the police were searching for drug dealers after a police informant was said to have bought crack cocaine at Johnston's home earlier in the day. However, both a federal and state investigation revealed that this was untrue.[9][/suP] In the affidavit police used to obtain a search warrant for Johnston's house, Atlanta, Georgia narcotics officers alleged their informant bought drugs inside Johnston's home earlier in the day from a man named "Sam", and that the home had video surveillance equipment justifying the no knock warrant. In an interview with Atlanta television station WAGA a few days after Johnston's shooting, the informant denied having gone to her house and said that after the shooting, the police pressured him to lie and say that he had.[9][/suP]

JBURGII

imported post

Well, unless I had noticed activity outside of my house.. say it's 3 a.m. my door comes open, I have my 12 ga within reach.. They had better make sure they announce really loud and I believe them.. or the bang stick does its job.. J

TheMrMitch

imported post

In my case....I would know the intruders were bad guys and react accordingly.

1: I live rural.

2: I work with and know all the cops.

3: They know it isn't necessary to kick in my door....just call me.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

I don't see what the issue is. If they're attempting a raid on the wrong house or failed to simply knock and ask entry first,that isn't my problem. If a group of people busted down my door at 3am and came charging into my house I'd unload on them.

That example of the old lady is perfect. Poor woman was just defending herself. If they're at the wrong house then THEY screwed up and if they're met with an angry and unknowing homeowner defending himself, sucks for them.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:

My thinking, too.

The only thing I might add is yelling, "After I've confirmed you are police, I will comply with all orders."

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Citizen wrote:

My thinking, too.

The only thing I might add is yelling, "After I've confirmed you are police, I will comply with all orders."

At which point they start yelling, "he's resisting!!"and send 500 rounds in your direction, about 10 of which will hit their target, but that's good enough to kill you.

open4years

imported post

codename_47 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston

Kathryn Johnson was murdered by cops who falsified a warrent.

In an attempt to justify the no-knock warrant, the Atlanta Police Department initially claimed that the police were searching for drug dealers after a police informant was said to have bought crack cocaine at Johnston's home earlier in the day. However, both a federal and state investigation revealed that this was untrue.[9][/suP] In the affidavit police used to obtain a search warrant for Johnston's house, Atlanta, Georgia narcotics officers alleged their informant bought drugs inside Johnston's home earlier in the day from a man named "Sam", and that the home had video surveillance equipment justifying the no knock warrant. In an interview with Atlanta television station WAGA a few days after Johnston's shooting, the informant denied having gone to her house and said that after the shooting, the police pressured him to lie and say that he had.[9][/suP]
I had not heard the last part of that story. Thanks for sharing it.

open4years

open4years

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Citizen wrote:

My thinking, too.

At which point they start yelling, "he's resisting!!"and send 500 rounds in your direction, about 10 of which will hit their target, but that's good enough to kill you.

While "they" are pointing their guns at you, what are you doing with your gun while awaiting confirmation? If you point it at them, you're dead, if they are cops and you are dead if they are bad guys.

I think after bashing in your door, their adrenaline would have them (LEOs) so worked up that they might not be compliant enough to wait while you seek confirmation. I respect LEO, but I've seen them act in ways that is very unprofessional and they might notgive a d__n whether you think they are real or not. Maybe that is how you can ID them! :cool:

open4years

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Citizen wrote:

My thinking, too.

You understand that I was responding to Longwatch's post, which included barricading yourself, announcing you are armed, and calling the police?

Michigander

imported post

The odds of the police accidentally no knock raiding a good persons house vs the odds of it being criminals are pretty drastic. Judges almost always insist on seeing hard core proof and solid reasoning before issuing a no knock warrant. It will nearly always be the criminals. The criminals who are that agressive are a serious threat to your life, so you gotta look at playing the odds in that situation.

So, given the odds, my choice would be to neutralize the threat by whatever means were reasonable and prudent, then call for help.

open4years

imported post

Citizen wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Citizen wrote:

My thinking, too.

You understand that I was responding to Longwatch's post, which included barricading yourself, announcing you are armed, and calling the police?

I do now. :D

open4years

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Michigander wrote:
The odds of the police accidentally no knock raiding a good persons house vs the odds of it being criminals are pretty drastic. Judges almost always insist on seeing hard core proof and solid reasoning before issuing a no knock warrant. It will nearly always be the criminals. The criminals who are that agressive are a serious threat to your life, so you gotta look at playing the odds in that situation.

So, given the odds, my choice would be to neutralize the threat by whatever means were reasonable and prudent, then call for help.

Wow...I would love to live in your world. :celebrate

Although I agree that MOST LEO's are good hardworking people that are tyring to do a hard job I don't believe for a minute the Judges REALLY put up much resistance when being asked for a warrant.

LE has NO REASON to be initiating a no-knock warrant as I am not a criminal or even with a criminal background. Based on my lack of criminal background and the fact I don't do anything illegal enough to deserve a no-knock warrant I am assuming ANYONE forcibly coming through my front door is an attacker and will be treated as such.

If it happens to be an LEO and he is injured or killed I am sorry for his family and his fellow officers, but his department will have a lot of explaining to do...

Here is me hoping this NEVER happens to anyone...

mzbk2l

imported post

A very similar thread came up in the AZ forum back in August: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=14854

Basically, what do you do if a bunch of guys wearing body armor break down your door? My response was that most likely, they think you have something they want. If you do drugs or smuggle immigrants, you're much more likely to encounter that scenario than the average citizen. Here's what I said there:

I think protector84 is starting to get to the heart of the matter. It doesn't matter what kind of firearms you have if enough people with enough armor come through your doors and windows.

The best way to beat those odds is not to play. Don't buy drugs, don't sell drugs, don't associate with druggies, don't get involved with illegal immigrant smuggling, etc. Basically, don't make yourself a target and your odds go way down. Nearly every one of these crimes I read about in the valley involves either drugs or illegal alien smuggling.

Next is physical security. How accessible is your house and yard? How long would it take a determined attacker to get in (or you to get out)? I feel like I'm prepared to deal with the random crime of a tweaker breaking in. If someone pulls a stunt like those fake bounty hunters in the 90's, or the recent Mexican Army breakins, I'm toast.

You know what? I'm ok with those odds. I work in Iraq, and I ride motorcycles and skydive when I'm home in AZ. I think a home invasion by a gang of body-armored thugs is pretty low on the list of ways I'm likely to die.