Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you carry a back-up gun?

Post imported post

I ALWAYS carry a back-up gun and for many reasons. I usually carry my primary at waist level, usually in a Serpa holster. I carry a back-up (usually my new Ruger .380) on my left ankle with two extra magazines.

To balance things out, and make both legs look the same, I carry on my rightankletwo extra magazines for my primary gun. Sometimes I will carry another gun in a front pocket, such as another .380 or a .22 magnum revolver.

Since my primary gun is a FNH Five-Seven, with 20 rounds in the magazine, this gives me a total of 61 rounds for my primary. That should be enough to handle most situations! If not, I have two more magazines thatI could carry,and several plus 10 round magazine conversions for a total well over 140 rounds!

What do you carry on a regular basis?

open4years

State Researcher

Post imported post

I like to carry a Kel-Tec .380 (the real version of your Ruger) on my weak side when I carry openly. Either that, or a decent sized knife. I just like to have something available to my weak hand in case my strong side becomes preoccupied with weapon retention.

Post imported post

open4years wrote:
    I ALWAYS carry a back-up gun and for many reasons. I usually carry my primary at waist level, usually in a Serpa holster. I carry a back-up (usually my new Ruger .380) on my left ankle with two extra magazines.

To balance things out, and make both legs look the same, I carry on my rightankletwo extra magazines for my primary gun. Sometimes I will carry another gun in a front pocket, such as another .380 or a .22 magnum revolver.

Since my primary gun is a FNH Five-Seven, with 20 rounds in the magazine, this gives me a total of 61 rounds for my primary. That should be enough to handle most situations! If not, I have two more magazines thatI could carry,and several plus 10 round magazine conversions for a total well over 140 rounds!

open4years
    You also carry cuffs. You're a wannabe... a whackjob.... dangerous. You aren't preparing to defend yourself, you are looking for trouble.

Post imported post

I don't carry a BUG but I do carry an extra mag. If 15 rounds of JHP .45ACP won't cut it then I made a big error in judgement by even being there in the first place.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

Post imported post

ISOMETIMES....I carry a PA63 in an ankle holster.

I ALWAYS have a rifle of some sort in my vehicle...I alternate Carbine, AK, AR...etc.

I ALWAYS carry a Glock 21 on my hip.

I ALWAYS have an extra pistol in my glove box.

I am 66 years old, a corrections officer, am NOT looking for trouble. I do have cuffs in my car. I drink dark beer. :what:

Banned

Post imported post

open4years wrote:

open4years

wtf do you live in a war zone? A 20 round mag in your primary carry, top-of-the-line manufactured gun (so I'd assume it's pretty reliable)isn't enough? And TWO back ups? What exactly do you foresee happening at the grocery store that you need three guns and 100+ rounds?

Are you the guy looking to build a panic room? Do you have like a hit man after you or something?

For the record, no I don't carry a back-up gun. I bought a good, reliable gun for a primary carry and carry a single spare mag. If 21 rounds can't get the job done then I'm probably screwed anyway.

Post imported post

open4years wrote:

open4years
    I always carry a backup in my left pocket. Either my Keltec p3at, or my S&W J-Frame .38 Special.

So, it's usually my XD-40 OCed, with one of those backups, and 2 extra mags for the XD, and a Surefire flashlight on my belt on my left side.

Post imported post

I carry either my M&P .45 or Glock 17 as a primary on my hip, and sometimes will have my .38 on my ankle as a backup. Most of the time, and this is usually depending on where i go, with the mag capacity or the M&P and Glock, if i cannot get the job done with those, then theres a problem lol. Alot of times just because of the events that have gone on in the area where i live, i just CC my primary or ankle piece, and let it be.

Its all situational i guess......6 in one, half a dozen in the other.

Post imported post

1FASTC4 wrote:
    open4years wrote:

open4years
    You also carry cuffs. You're a wannabe... a whackjob.... dangerous. You aren't preparing to defend yourself, you are looking for trouble.
    Label me however you wish, but you don't know me and you are wrong about me. But, I won't lose any sleep over it. There was a point where I began kidding, perhaps you missed it.

open4years

State Researcher

Post imported post

A lot of you seem to be implying that the "back-up" is in case you run out of ammo for your primary. I personally carry a back-up mainly in case I can't use my primary, whether it is stolen, dropped, disabled, or preoccupied lol.

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    open4years wrote:

open4years

wtf do you live in a war zone? A 20 round mag in your primary carry, top-of-the-line manufactured gun (so I'd assume it's pretty reliable)isn't enough? And TWO back ups? What exactly do you foresee happening at the grocery store that you need three guns and 100+ rounds?

Are you the guy looking to build a panic room? Do you have like a hit man after you or something?

For the record, no I don't carry a back-up gun. I bought a good, reliable gun for a primary carry and carry a single spare mag. If 21 rounds can't get the job done then I'm probably screwed anyway.
    You are betting your life on your primary gun not having a malfunction that can't quickly be cleared. I'm not willing to make that bet with my life. Every single so-called gun expert believes a back-up is mandatory if you are going to carry a gun. I guess you could throw it at him when it stops working because it was hit by a round, etc, etc.

As for the nasty comments, I will not reply in kind.

open4years

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    open4years wrote:

open4years

You are betting your life on your primary gun not having a malfunction that can't quickly be cleared. I'm not willing to make that bet with my life. Every single so-called gun expert believes a back-up is mandatory if you are going to carry a gun. I guess you could throw it at him when it stops working because it was hit by a round, etc, etc.

open4years

Banned

Post imported post

open4years wrote:

open4years

Can you find me a single true-life defense story in which someone's primary carry failed beyondclearingand they were saved by a back-up gun?

Isn't the average time to get off a shot in a defensive situtation around 2-3 seconds? If that's true, then you're dead whether you have a back-up or not. I don't know anyone that can draw, aim, attempt fire, re-attempt fire, attempt clear, re-attempt clear, drop, draw from an ankle holster, aim, and fire in under 3 seconds.

Post imported post

two is one, and one is none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Banned

Post imported post

Deleted

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    open4years wrote:

open4years

Can you find me a single true-life defense story in which someone's primary carry failed beyondclearingand they were saved by a back-up gun?

Isn't the average time to get off a shot in a defensive situtation around 2-3 seconds? If that's true, then you're dead whether you have a back-up or not. I don't know anyone that can draw, aim, attempt fire, re-attempt fire, attempt clear, re-attempt clear, drop, draw from an ankle holster, aim, and fire in under 3 seconds.
    I'm sure it has happened to someone, somewhere, especially LE. Maybe not a malfunction but the bad guy took it and the officer went for his back-up. Or during a struggle with his primary gun, it falls to the ground, then the bad guy goes for it and LE goes for a back-up. If I knew how to search for such a thing, I would look for it.

As for not being able to get to a back-up on your ankle in time, that is exactly why I also carry in my front pocket. The ankle gun is only good if you are behind cover and have time to access it or if you would rather die going for another gun instead of sitting there begging for your life.

Some here think it is excessive that I carry two extra magazines for my primary gun. I would think most of you would carry at least one extra magazine. As for my gun having 20 rounds in a magazine, I carry two extra because I know that magazines can also fail. I've got one right next to me that failed to feed. (Not for this gun) And I had one experience that convinced me that extra magazines/rounds would have been a good thing had it all gone bad.

Many LEO experienced that themselves in the bank robbery with two guys with body armour and AK-47s. They (LEO) were severely out-gunned. My primary shoots a rifle load that I have confidence in after seeing ballistic results. I don't know of another pistol that shoots a rifle round. Plus, a full 20 round magazine weighs very little, as does the gun.

open4years

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

open4years

You are very creative.

Yat hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I actually just found a forum where it is asked if a back-up was ever needed. Now I just need to figure out how to put the URL here. I guess I'm going to need to read the help files. I'll post it soon.

open4years

Post imported post

Here it it guys/gals. I am vindicated!

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=99612

open4years

Post imported post

I dont not carry a BUG, I carry a Kimber .45 Ultra Carry II with Black Talons loaded in the deposited magazine and also my two extra magazines that I carry as well....

I agree with you fully Open4years. And IDO NOTjudge you or condone anything thing that you choose to do in order to preserve your life and the lives ofothers.

BUGs are needed at times you least expect. Just like that one guy said, most people havetwo sets of car keys.... you are screwed if the only car key you have is lost, stolen or destroyed. Just imagine if its your life at stake and not a vehicle.

If you can afford it and manage it, BUGs might just be the thing that saves your life or some one else's life one day.

Post imported post

My main carry is concealed with my Kel-Tec P-3AT in my back pocket, but when OC my full-size Taurus PT101, I just keep the Kel-Tec in my pocket and it becomes my backup.

...Y'know, for those "gun grabs" the Anti-OCers are always predicting :quirky...
    ...Orygunner...

Post imported post

rolexbenz190e wrote:
    I dont not carry a BUG, I carry a Kimber .45 Ultra Carry II with Black Talons loaded in the deposited magazine and also my two extra magazines that I carry as well....

I agree with you fully Open4years. And IDO NOTjudge you or condone anything thing that you choose to do in order to preserve your life and the lives ofothers.

BUGs are needed at times you least expect. Just like that one guy said, most people havetwo sets of car keys.... you are screwed if the only car key you have is lost, stolen or destroyed. Just imagine if its your life at stake and not a vehicle.

If you can afford it and manage it, BUGs might just be the thing that saves your life or some one else's life one day.
    Thank you rolexbenz190e. Yours is the first post to make me feel welcome here. I believe that how we choose to protect our lives and the lives of our love ones are personal decisions that we have to live or die with. Why someone would attack and call somone names just becuase they have chosen (or thinking about) a different approach to THEIR safety is beyond me. I feel we should be able to share opinions here and provoke thought without being hateful.

I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry, the Ultra Raptor. I carry it concealed sometimes but I prefer a "plastic" gun for open carry as I'm always scraping it against something and I would hate to do that to my Kimbers.

Whether a BUG will actually save my life someday, I don't know, but it just makes sense to me to carry a "spare." AND lives have been saved by a BUG.

open4years

p.s. I've carried an extra car key, in my wallet, for many years since the time that I locked myself out and had to pay $65.00. I don't want to experience the same event gun-wise, as you pointed out. As the cost would be my life, not money.

Post imported post

Everyone is free to manage their own risks their own way and to the degree they see fit.

My reasoning for MYchoices goes about like this:

My odds of being a victim of violent crime are pretty damn slim where I live and for my lifestyle.I haven't even come close to needing a gun so far in almost 20 years of being an adult, I suppose I probably never will. So, I think my odds of being attacked are pretty slim.

In most self-defense situations using a firearm, nobody even gets shot 99% of the time. So, my odds of being attacked and having to actually shoot someone (instead of scaring them off with the gun) are VERY slim.

The average self-defense situation involving a firearm is over in about 5 seconds and the average # of shots fired is 2 or 3. So my odds of being attacked, having to shoot, and needing to shoot more than 2 or 3 shots is VERY SUPER SLIM.

But I recognize that if I ever do need a gun, I'd better damn well have one. So I carry my Kel-Tec P-3AT everywhere (except work). With6+1 rounds of Speer GoldDots, I figure I've got 99.999% of possible needs covered.

That's all just me and my situation. If my situation changed and my odds of needing a gun and/or more ammunication and/or a backup gun increased, I would re-evaluate my choices. but for now, I feel it manages my risk more than adequately.

...To each his own...
    ...Orygunner...

Post imported post

Orygunner wrote:
    Everyone is free to manage their own risks their own way and to the degree they see fit.

My reasoning for MYchoices goes about like this:

My odds of being a victim of violent crime are pretty damn slim where I live and for my lifestyle.I haven't even come close to needing a gun so far in almost 20 years of being an adult, I suppose I probably never will. So, I think my odds of being attacked are pretty slim.

In most self-defense situations using a firearm, nobody even gets shot 99% of the time. So, my odds of being attacked and having to actually shoot someone (instead of scaring them off with the gun) are VERY slim.

The average self-defense situation involving a firearm is over in about 5 seconds and the average # of shots fired is 2 or 3. So my odds of being attacked, having to shoot, and needing to shoot more than 2 or 3 shots is VERY SUPER SLIM.

But I recognize that if I ever do need a gun, I'd better damn well have one. So I carry my Kel-Tec P-3AT everywhere (except work). With6+1 rounds of Speer GoldDots, I figure I've got 99.999% of possible needs covered.

That's all just me and my situation. If my situation changed and my odds of needing a gun and/or more ammunication and/or a backup gun increased, I would re-evaluate my choices. but for now, I feel it manages my risk more than adequately.

...To each his own...
    ...Orygunner...

I'm glad that you do carry. I used to drive a thousand miles a week for decades. I've worn a seatbelt ever since they put them in automobiles. I've had only one accident, where I was rear-ended by a drunk driver doing 45mph, while I was sitting still at a red light. Even then, the seatbelt only probably saved me from a bloody nose, while the accident lead to my becoming disabled years later. (Too late to sue the guy.) I've had two neck operations and I just found out I have 5 more ruptured discs. (Sound of violin playing in background)

However, I still wear a seatbelt because it does save lives and accidents do happen where they (seatbelts) are needed. I may never have an accident where a seatbelt saves my life, just as I may never have an incident where wearing a gun saves my life, BUT people do die in car accidents where a seatbeltmight have saved them. AND people do die from knives and guns where "wearing" a gun (and knowing how to use it) might have saved them.

The odds are low that either will happen to any of us reading this forum, But itWILL happen to someone somewhere. Only God knows if that someone is us and he hasn't told me yet, so I will continue to carry. Also, who knows, our having a gun might save someone else's live. You are wise to carry but I respect the views of those who choose not to carry, I just don't agree withthem!

open4years

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

open4years wrote:
    I'm glad that you do carry. I used to drive a thousand miles a week for decades. I've worn a seatbelt ever since they put them in automobiles. I've had only one accident, where I was rear-ended by a drunk driver doing 45mph, while I was sitting still at a red light. Even then, the seatbelt only probably saved me from a bloody nose, while the accident lead to my becoming disabled years later. (Too late to sue the guy.) I've had two neck operations and I just found out I have 5 more ruptured discs. (Sound of violin playing in background)

However, I still wear a seatbelt because it does save lives and accidents do happen where they (seatbelts) are needed. I may never have an accident where a seatbelt saves my life, just as I may never have an incident where wearing a gun saves my life, BUT people do die in car accidents where a seatbeltmight have saved them. AND people do die from knives and guns where "wearing" a gun (and knowing how to use it) might have saved them.

The odds are low that either will happen to any of us reading this forum, But itWILL happen to someone somewhere. Only God knows if that someone is us and he hasn't told me yet, so I will continue to carry. Also, who knows, our having a gun might save someone else's live. You are wise to carry but I respect the views (rights) of those who choose not to carry, I just don't agree withthem!
    Well said! Isn't it a shame that the other side doesn't have the same attitude.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast