• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many of you carry a back-up gun?

open4years

imported post

I ALWAYS carry a back-up gun and for many reasons. I usually carry my primary at waist level, usually in a Serpa holster. I carry a back-up (usually my new Ruger .380) on my left ankle with two extra magazines.

To balance things out, and make both legs look the same, I carry on my rightankletwo extra magazines for my primary gun. Sometimes I will carry another gun in a front pocket, such as another .380 or a .22 magnum revolver.

Since my primary gun is a FNH Five-Seven, with 20 rounds in the magazine, this gives me a total of 61 rounds for my primary. That should be enough to handle most situations! If not, I have two more magazines thatI could carry,and several plus 10 round magazine conversions for a total well over 140 rounds! :cool:

What do you carry on a regular basis?

open4years

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I like to carry a Kel-Tec .380 (the real version of your Ruger) on my weak side when I carry openly. Either that, or a decent sized knife. I just like to have something available to my weak hand in case my strong side becomes preoccupied with weapon retention.

1FASTC4

imported post

open4years wrote:
I ALWAYS carry a back-up gun and for many reasons. I usually carry my primary at waist level, usually in a Serpa holster. I carry a back-up (usually my new Ruger .380) on my left ankle with two extra magazines.

To balance things out, and make both legs look the same, I carry on my rightankletwo extra magazines for my primary gun. Sometimes I will carry another gun in a front pocket, such as another .380 or a .22 magnum revolver.

Since my primary gun is a FNH Five-Seven, with 20 rounds in the magazine, this gives me a total of 61 rounds for my primary. That should be enough to handle most situations! If not, I have two more magazines thatI could carry,and several plus 10 round magazine conversions for a total well over 140 rounds! :cool:

open4years
You also carry cuffs. You're a wannabe... a whackjob.... dangerous. You aren't preparing to defend yourself, you are looking for trouble.

TheMrMitch

imported post

ISOMETIMES....I carry a PA63 in an ankle holster.

I ALWAYS have a rifle of some sort in my vehicle...I alternate Carbine, AK, AR...etc.

I ALWAYS carry a Glock 21 on my hip.

I ALWAYS have an extra pistol in my glove box.

I am 66 years old, a corrections officer, am NOT looking for trouble. I do have cuffs in my car. I drink dark beer. :what:

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

open4years wrote:

open4years

wtf do you live in a war zone? A 20 round mag in your primary carry, top-of-the-line manufactured gun (so I'd assume it's pretty reliable)isn't enough? And TWO back ups? What exactly do you foresee happening at the grocery store that you need three guns and 100+ rounds?

Are you the guy looking to build a panic room? Do you have like a hit man after you or something?

For the record, no I don't carry a back-up gun. I bought a good, reliable gun for a primary carry and carry a single spare mag. If 21 rounds can't get the job done then I'm probably screwed anyway.

SQLtables

imported post

open4years wrote:

open4years
I always carry a backup in my left pocket. Either my Keltec p3at, or my S&W J-Frame .38 Special.

So, it's usually my XD-40 OCed, with one of those backups, and 2 extra mags for the XD, and a Surefire flashlight on my belt on my left side.

Mike M.

imported post

I carry either my M&P .45 or Glock 17 as a primary on my hip, and sometimes will have my .38 on my ankle as a backup. Most of the time, and this is usually depending on where i go, with the mag capacity or the M&P and Glock, if i cannot get the job done with those, then theres a problem lol. Alot of times just because of the events that have gone on in the area where i live, i just CC my primary or ankle piece, and let it be.

Its all situational i guess......6 in one, half a dozen in the other.

open4years

imported post

1FASTC4 wrote:
open4years wrote:

open4years
You also carry cuffs. You're a wannabe... a whackjob.... dangerous. You aren't preparing to defend yourself, you are looking for trouble.

Label me however you wish, but you don't know me and you are wrong about me. But, I won't lose any sleep over it. There was a point where I began kidding, perhaps you missed it.

open4years

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

A lot of you seem to be implying that the "back-up" is in case you run out of ammo for your primary. I personally carry a back-up mainly in case I can't use my primary, whether it is stolen, dropped, disabled, or preoccupied lol.

open4years

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
open4years wrote:

open4years

wtf do you live in a war zone? A 20 round mag in your primary carry, top-of-the-line manufactured gun (so I'd assume it's pretty reliable)isn't enough? And TWO back ups? What exactly do you foresee happening at the grocery store that you need three guns and 100+ rounds?

Are you the guy looking to build a panic room? Do you have like a hit man after you or something?

For the record, no I don't carry a back-up gun. I bought a good, reliable gun for a primary carry and carry a single spare mag. If 21 rounds can't get the job done then I'm probably screwed anyway.

You are betting your life on your primary gun not having a malfunction that can't quickly be cleared. I'm not willing to make that bet with my life. Every single so-called gun expert believes a back-up is mandatory if you are going to carry a gun. I guess you could throw it at him when it stops working because it was hit by a round, etc, etc.

As for the nasty comments, I will not reply in kind.

open4years

open4years

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
open4years wrote:

open4years

You are betting your life on your primary gun not having a malfunction that can't quickly be cleared. I'm not willing to make that bet with my life. Every single so-called gun expert believes a back-up is mandatory if you are going to carry a gun. I guess you could throw it at him when it stops working because it was hit by a round, etc, etc.

open4years

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

open4years wrote:

open4years

Can you find me a single true-life defense story in which someone's primary carry failed beyondclearingand they were saved by a back-up gun?

Isn't the average time to get off a shot in a defensive situtation around 2-3 seconds? If that's true, then you're dead whether you have a back-up or not. I don't know anyone that can draw, aim, attempt fire, re-attempt fire, attempt clear, re-attempt clear, drop, draw from an ankle holster, aim, and fire in under 3 seconds.

open4years

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
open4years wrote:

open4years

Can you find me a single true-life defense story in which someone's primary carry failed beyondclearingand they were saved by a back-up gun?

Isn't the average time to get off a shot in a defensive situtation around 2-3 seconds? If that's true, then you're dead whether you have a back-up or not. I don't know anyone that can draw, aim, attempt fire, re-attempt fire, attempt clear, re-attempt clear, drop, draw from an ankle holster, aim, and fire in under 3 seconds.

I'm sure it has happened to someone, somewhere, especially LE. Maybe not a malfunction but the bad guy took it and the officer went for his back-up. Or during a struggle with his primary gun, it falls to the ground, then the bad guy goes for it and LE goes for a back-up. If I knew how to search for such a thing, I would look for it.

As for not being able to get to a back-up on your ankle in time, that is exactly why I also carry in my front pocket. The ankle gun is only good if you are behind cover and have time to access it or if you would rather die going for another gun instead of sitting there begging for your life.

Some here think it is excessive that I carry two extra magazines for my primary gun. I would think most of you would carry at least one extra magazine. As for my gun having 20 rounds in a magazine, I carry two extra because I know that magazines can also fail. I've got one right next to me that failed to feed. (Not for this gun) And I had one experience that convinced me that extra magazines/rounds would have been a good thing had it all gone bad.

Many LEO experienced that themselves in the bank robbery with two guys with body armour and AK-47s. They (LEO) were severely out-gunned. My primary shoots a rifle load that I have confidence in after seeing ballistic results. I don't know of another pistol that shoots a rifle round. Plus, a full 20 round magazine weighs very little, as does the gun.

open4years

open4years

imported post

I actually just found a forum where it is asked if a back-up was ever needed. Now I just need to figure out how to put the URL here. I guess I'm going to need to read the help files. I'll post it soon.

open4years

rolexbenz190e

imported post

I dont not carry a BUG, I carry a Kimber .45 Ultra Carry II with Black Talons loaded in the deposited magazine and also my two extra magazines that I carry as well....

I agree with you fully Open4years. And IDO NOTjudge you or condone anything thing that you choose to do in order to preserve your life and the lives ofothers.

BUGs are needed at times you least expect. Just like that one guy said, most people havetwo sets of car keys.... you are screwed if the only car key you have is lost, stolen or destroyed. Just imagine if its your life at stake and not a vehicle.

If you can afford it and manage it, BUGs might just be the thing that saves your life or some one else's life one day.