Based on what I have been able to find in a quick search, you are permitted to Open Carry into convenience stores or grocery stores where alcohol is sold for "off premises" consumption.
Concealed Carry permit holders may not yet be able to do this however as I found on the New Mexico Shooting Sports website that references a bill being submitted to remove the ban on carrying BY CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSEES
in establishments licensed to dispense alcohol for consumption "off the premises" (i.e., grocery and convenience stores).
MY REPLY AND CITATION DECOLIGNY
THE BAN ON FIREARMS IN ANY ESTABLISHMENT THAT SELLS ALCOHOL FOR ON OR OFF SITE CONSUMPTION IS FOUND IN THE BEVERAGE CONTROL STATUTES AND HAS BEEN LAW FOR AT LEAST 30 YEARS THAT I KNOW OF.
IT IS A FOURTH DEGREE FELONY TO POSESS A FIREARM IN ANY PLACE THAT SELLS ALCOHOL.
HAVING SAID THAT IN 2007 THE LEGISLATURE AMENDED THE BEVERAGE CONTROL STATUTES TO ALLOW THOSE WITH A CCW TO LEGALLY CARRY CONCEALED ONLY IN THOSE BUSINESSES THAT SELL ALCOHOL FOR OFF SITE CONSUMPTION.
CCW MAY NOW CARRY IN PLACES THAT SELL ALCOHOL FOR OFF SITE CONSUMPTION.
IT IS STILL ILLEGAL IN NEW MEXICO FOR ANYONE CCW OR NOT TO CARRY IN A PLACE THAT SELLS ALCOHOL FOR ON SITE CONSUMPTION.
IT IS STILL ILLEGAL FOR SOMEONE TO OPEN CARRY IN A PLACE THAT SELLS ACOHOL FOR OFF SITE CONSUMPTION.
OPEN CARRY WAS NOT GRANTED AN EXCEPTION TO THE BEVERAGE CONTROL STATUTES AS CONCEALED CARRY WAS.
HERE IS YOUR CITATION;
New Mexico Statutes Annotated (NMSA) 30-7-3 states: "Unlawful carrying of a firearm in licensed liquor establishments.
A. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages consists of carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm on any premises licensed by the regulation and licensing department for the dispensing of alcoholic beverages except:
(1) by a law enforcement officer in the lawful discharge of the officer's duties;
(2) by a law enforcement officer who in certified pursuant to the Law Enforcement Training Act [NMSA 29-7-1] acting in accordance with the policies of the officer's law enforcement agency;
(3) by the owner, lessee, tenant or operator of the licensed premises or the owner's, lessee's, tenant's or operator's agents, including privately employed security personnel during the performance of their duties;
(4) by a person carrying a concealed handgun who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license for that gun pursuant to the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [NMSA 29-19-1]; provided that the licensed establishment does not sell alcololic beverages for consumption on the premises;
(5) by a person in that area of the licensed premises usually and primarily rented on a daily or short-term basis for sleeping or residential occupancy, including hotel or motel rooms;
(6) by a person on that area of a licensed premises primarily used for vehicular traffic or parking; or
(7) for the purpose of temporary display, provided that the firearm is: (a) made completely inoperative before it is carried unto the licensed premises and remains inoperative while it is on the licensed premises, and (b) under the control of the licensee or an agent of the licensee while the firearm is on the licensed premises.
FROM NOW ON DECONLIGNY IF i WERE YOU I WOULD BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT THE INFORMATION YOU DISEMINATE AS YOU MAY END UP BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR SOMEONES FELONY CONVICTION AND IMPRISONMENT SHOULD THEY FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE WHEN IT IS BASED ON QUICK SHORT-SIGHTED AND INCOMPLETE RESEARCH.
DUE TO THE IMPORTANCE OF CORRECTING ERRONIOUS INFORMATION PURVEYED BY DECOLIGNY MY RESPONSE IS CAPITALIZED, BOLDENED AND COLORED WHERE NECESSARY TO CORRECT AND CONVEY THE LAW AS IT STANDS IN NEW MEXICO AT THIS TIME.
I DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO "ACCIDENTLY" BE CHARGED WITH A FELONY FOR VIOLATING NEW MEXICO BEVERAGE CONTROL STATUTES THAT NON-RESIDENTS HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF.
YES DECOLIGNY MY LOCATION DOES SAY NEBRASKA. LET ME NIP THIS IN THE BUD RIGHT NOW.
I AM FROM NEW MEXICO. I AM CURRENTLY IN NEW MEXICO. HAVE BEEN FOR SEVERAL MONTHS AND WILL BE AT THE VERY LEAST UNTIL NEXT APRIL.
I AM A CERTIFIED FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR AND I CARRY CONCEALED IN NEW MEXICO WITH A VALID PERMIT.
I MAKE IT A POINT TO BE FAMILIAR WITH THE LAWS GOVERNING CONCEALED CARRY IN ALL OF THE STATES I TRAVEL IN.