• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

required firearm training for permit

suntzu

imported post

I will soon be taking my required training to apply for my permit. Could anyone give me some idea as to what I can expect on the exam--or is there an exam? I know about the range requirement--but is the 4 hours on the range a full 4 hours, and does it include weapon familiarization?

I am just wanting to get a feel for what I can expect when I take my class.

Any suggestions appreciated.

GunnerD

imported post

You should get 4 hours of classroom time which includes weapons familiarization, legal review, shooting tips and an open Q/A. You will take a written exam. Mine was 50 questions. You need to get 70% or better to pass.

The range time is as long as it takes to go over range safety and firing. You get 48 shots on a Baker target and have to hit 80% within the lines. You shoot 12 at 20 yards, 12 at 15 yards, 12 at 10 yards, and 12 at 5 yards if memory serves.

If you are reasonably intelligent and can fire a gun decently, you will be ok.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I took the course at Hohenwald, We did the 4 hour classroom stuff before lunch (except for the written test). After lunch we went out to the range for the shooting part of the course. IIRC, we shot from 3 to 10 yds. AFter the range portion we returned to the classroom to take the written exam.

One thing i noticed about the 50 questions on the exam. There were actually 25 questions, but each was asked in the form of both Multiple choice and T/F. I caught this about 2 thirds way through the exam.

I shot a 96 on the range and got a 97 on the written.

There was a lady taking the course with us that had never fired a handgun in her life (around 60 I think) and she shot a 97, with a loanerRuger .22 semi-auto.