• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Be prepared for the anti-oc comments from CCWers, IF Obama wins

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I have been hearing rumblings from many of the typical anti-OC/pro-CCW crowd. Some claim we are too "in your face," and will bring undue attention. Their main worry is that not only wil OC be outlawed, but also CC as well.

They may have a point, I don't know. My personal opinion is, if Obama does get elected, I don't think it will matter either way if we are "in your face." I think he will join Pelosi and Reid in outlawing lawful carry by those of us who are not active duty military or police.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

Michigander

imported post

I think OC is the best hope for gun rights. It's undeniable proof to anti gunners that gun owners are good, harmless people. People who are on the fence can interact with us and be brought to our side. There will always be anti OC sentiment among some people, but who cares? Not like it can stop you. :cool:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
I have been hearing rumblings from many of the typical anti-OC/pro-CCW crowd. Some claim we are too "in your face," and will bring undue attention. Their main worry is that not only wil OC be outlawed, but also CC as well.

They may have a point, I don't know. My personal opinion is, if Obama does get elected, I don't think it will matter either way if we are "in your face." I think he will join Pelosi and Reid in outlawing lawful carry by those of us who are not active duty military or police.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Big Al, theseare the only arguments the Pro-2A/Anti-OC crowd has (in your face & outlawed). Personally, I get tired of hearing their BS. IMO, if you desire to CC then so be it-most of the time I do. If you choose to OC then that's great.

In any event, how does one practice/educate/etc a constitutional right by CC'ing where, unfortunately, in Michigan, it's a privilege? The only difference between CC and OC is the thickness of a shirt or coat. How the hellthe Anti-OC/CC you have the advantage/I'm Pro-2A crowd thanksOC is an "in your face" method of personal defense is beyond me. :?

OK, I'm done.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

While I agree with both Michigander and SpringerXDacp, I have to say I find it so discouraging that people I consider pro-2A friendly are hesitant to support OC.

And in many cases, not just hesitant, but down right hostile to OC. They continue to persist in the fantasy idea that OC will lead to us being attacked and having our weapons taken during such a criminal attack.

Perhaps we need a "Why not OC" hand out for those people. Something that addresses their issues with OC, specifically.

DanM

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Perhaps we need a "Why not OC" hand out for those people. Something that addresses their issues with OC, specifically.

I think it's really easy to address any anti-OC statement made by a gun owner or CCW licensee. Just slightlyrephrase their statements into the same old tiredanti-gun statements against CC or even gun ownership that have been heard.

"If you OC, your gun could be grabbed by a BG" becomes "If you own a gun, someone could steal it and use itillegally"or "If you CC, you could lose control of it and a BG could use it on you."

"OC can alarm people" becomes "People will live in fearif this concealed carry law passes, not knowing who is packing heat."

"OC is 'in your face'" becomes "Gun owners and CCW advocates are gun-pushers."

While I find it incredible that such gun-owners and so-called "supporters of the RKBA" don't see the obvious parallel between their statements and anti-gun statements, fortunately it is easy to counter any anti-OC statement they make by turning it into a general anti-gun statement.

What may not be guaranteed, however, is that they are intelligent enough to understand the point, once it is made obvious. In that case, consider them a lost cause and tell them the RKBA has never been threatened all at once, but by incremental infringements, and their anti-OC arguments today are anti-CC arguments tomorrow and anti-gun ownership arguments next week.

warlockmatized

imported post

DanM wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:

I think it's really easy to address any anti-OC statement made by a gun owner or CCW licensee. Just slightlyrephrase their statements into the same old tiredanti-gun statements against CC or even gun ownership that have been heard.

"If you OC, your gun could be grabbed by a BG" becomes "If you own a gun, someone could steal it and use itillegally"or "If you CC, you could lose control of it and a BG could use it on you."

"OC can alarm people" becomes "People will live in fearif this concealed carry law passes, not knowing who is packing heat."

"OC is 'in your face'" becomes "Gun owners and CCW advocates are gun-pushers."

While I find it incredible that such gun-owners and so-called "supporters of the RKBA" don't see the obvious parallel between their statements and anti-gun statements, fortunately it is easy to counter any anti-OC statement they make by turning it into a general anti-gun statement.

What may not be guaranteed, however, is that they are intelligent enough to understand the point, once it is made obvious. In that case, consider them a lost cause and tell them the RKBA has never been threatened all at once, but by incremental infringements, and their anti-OC arguments today are anti-CC arguments tomorrow and anti-gun ownership arguments next week.
+1
Awesome!

Barnett3006

imported post

Hey guys,

I have been lurking here on the board for a very long time and finally decided to de-lurk myself!

Just wanted to let you guys know that there is at least 1 CC'er (have to, Florida :X) that will never ever make, think or imply any kind of negativity towards OC or the responsible Americans who choose to exercise their rights. :)

This is a great board that I have learned all lot from, I hope to contribute some aswell.

edited: spelling error

DanM

imported post

Barnett3006 wrote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that there is at least 1 CC'er (have to, Florida :X) that will never ever make, think or imply any kind of negativity towards OC or the responsible Americans who choose to exercise their rights. :)
Thanks for de-cloaking, Barnett. :)

In my experience it's only a smallminority of CC'ers who are anti-OC. Most CC'ers are pro-OC or at least support the right while arguing against it merely on "tactical" grounds.

Many of us here who OC also have our CPL. We are with the many CC'ers, like you, who advocatethe robust exercise of rights. Thanks for your $0.02.

Kenshinx2

imported post

if something like oc and ccl being banned for anyone but LEO maby we can start our owen Super Dective Club (we can all become "dicks") -and they created the dicks >> ^^ if my law skills are on the money i think privet investigaters can carry