• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neighbor arrested for open carry in his yard

shernandez

imported post

Support The 2nd wrote:
Posted: Tue Oct 21st, 2008 08:02 am
Thread closed at the request of defendant's counsel until after the hearing this week.

Keep him in your thoughts. We cannot afford to have a bad ruling in this.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/15318-3.html

That was 12 days ago, anything new, or are we still intentionaly avoiding the subject?
Sometimes lawyers will ask that anything related to the incident/crime should be removed. I believe, from reading the post that this is what happened.

WIG19

imported post

shernandez wrote:
Sometimes lawyers will ask that anything related to the incident/crime should be removed. I believe, from reading the post that this is what happened.
I guess I'd also ask the question as to status of hearing anyway... and let mod(s) advise as they deem necessary. Meanwhile, in the interest of just discussion, I happen to run across aref I keep on file regarding DC. Maybe it will help someone assist a fledgling attorney who's decided to represent them, possibly leading to fewer billable hours:

From the WI Supreme Court Opinion in State v. Douglas D (minor)(Case 99-1767) in para 27:

[Section 947.01, the DC statute] does not imply that all conduct which tends to annoy another is disorderly conduct. Only such conduct as unreasonably offends the sense of decency or propriety of the community is included. The statute does not punish a person for conduct which might possibly offend some hypercritical individual. The design of the disorderly conduct statute is to proscribe substantial intrusions which offend the normal sensibilities of average persons or which constitute significantly abusive or disturbing demeanor in the eyes of reasonable persons.
Zwicker, 41 Wis.2d at 508. Thus, we agree that §947.01 requires more than mere offensive speech or behavior.

IANAL but it seems inadvisable to cite the case in entirety, as the issue at hand seems to have been of threat communicated to a teacher via a writing assignment. Nonetheless, it might provide some insight as to the thinking of the court.