• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self defense insurance

suntzu

imported post

I am wondering--how many have the insurance offered by the NRA for self defense, and is it worth it? I guess I am asking--it is monetarily worth having insurance to cover yourself in civil court for any lawsuit brought as a result of having to use force to defend yourself or another?

I have been considering this, and am wanting the opinions of others.

kenny

imported post

Purchase an umbrella coverage from your homeowners insurance company. Your agent will have the details. 1 million in coverage should cost you around $100 a year. It should cover you for anything not employment related. As always policies are different, check the fine print for exclusions.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I haven't looked into the self-defense insurance, but I have been pushing the $1000 in firearm/bowhunting equipment insurance that the NRA offers its' members. That and the $10 discount we have been offering have been great selling points for membership. We need to keep the numbers up!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I haven't looked into the self-defense insurance, but I have been pushing the $1000 in firearm/bowhunting equipment insurance that the NRA offers its' members. That and the $10 discount we have been offering have been great selling points for membership. We need to keep the numbers up!
Have they ever paid a claim or do they hedge like they do on everything else?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

oh no, they pay. In fact, I had a student in a class a few weeks ago who told me that he had a burglary in his home last year and the NRA cut him a check for $1000 within a week.

I just read something else where a Life Member died and his family got $10K and a family of a police officer killed in the line of duty got $25K.